Arcteryx Bora 80............pockets?

2:07 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I purposefully picked a Bora 80 for my trp to Thailand with one of the reasons being that it did not have any pockets. Now I'm kind of wishing I did have some pockets. So that I don't have to do a ton of investigation as my time is drawing short, does any one know if they made packets for the boras(s)? I might have some Mountain Smith pockets that I can cobble onto the Bora but their flimsy and I though I'd ask your opinions first. This will be by far the heaviest pack I have ever carried in my life. Thanks all

P.S.  The Bora 80 is a great pack there are two on EBay for under $60 if your looking for a great pack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcteryx-Expedition-Pack-Bora-80-Mens-Small-/110785983003?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cb5bf21b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcteryx-Used-Large-Bora-80-Internal-Frame-Hiking-Backpack-5-250-cubic-inches-/260906988125?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbf44b25d

2:56 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I just received my Argon 85 today. Side pocket wise it has one on the right for a Nalgene etc, and one on the left which is zippered. Being I typically use a bladder I find side pockets on a pack useless to an extent. 

Nice to have but no biggie if they are not there.

Argon-85-2-003.jpg

3:18 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

I don't watch Arc'teryx as close as I do some of the others, but I don't believe I've ever scene accessory pockets sold for them like I have the Danas and Ospreys.  That doesn't mean they don't exist, but if they do, they are rare.

Those vertical accessory pockets are nice to have when you travel.  I've used mine  to carry various junk for the day and best of all, for a shaving kit bag I can hang in the bathroom.

3:25 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I was thinking at first that I didn't want pockets as there easy to get into (get stuff stolen) or for some one to take a razor to, but now with all the crap I'm taking, way more than a backpacking trip, it seems like I'd be better off with some pockets. The bag itself has a internal bladder pocket and two side water bottle holders but no smaller side pockets. I do have a couple of flimsy Mountain Smith Pockets that I can find a way to put on but I'd like to find some stiffer ones if possible. It's just that I'm running out of time. Anywho if you all have any add-on ideas let me know. Just some of that last min stuff. Never backpacked a country before. Did a bike (ten speed) tour of Europe years ago but this is different.

3:32 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I typically attach a camera holster(run webbing through the belt loop of the case)on my waistbelt webbing on my packs(as seen in the photo below.)

Ohiopyle-with-Tracey-005.jpg
Maybe you could snag up a few pockets ya like, contact ArcTeryx', snag up a few of their quick release buckles, and make your own mods? Not really all that familiar with the Bora. ArcTeryx' packs do not fit me well. Tried one on years back and it didn't fit me right. 

Not sure how big of pockets you are looking for or how much effort ya want to put into this. 

Brian, here is an ArcTeryx' accessory pocket I found with a quick search. 

http://www.moontrail.com/arcteryx-accessory-pocket.php

Here are a few hits I got from my search.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SKPL_enUS443US443&aq=0&oq=arcteryx+accessory+&gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=arcteryx+accessory+pocket

Hope this helps a bit.

8:05 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

"but I don't believe I've ever scene accessory pockets"

There's some beautiful English for you by yours truly.  Gheez.

What kind of structure are you looking to find?  I have a couple Osprey pouches, and they have strips of plastic at the top and bottom as part of the attachment system, and the Danas have a plastic panel that covers the entire backside of the pouch.  They cut slits into it in various places to give you several options to feed webbing.  The Dana Design is somewhat bulky because of that sheet of plastic, but it also maintains the integrity of the shape.  You might like them.  Too bad they often sell for stupid money.  One Dana accessory pouch often sells for more than an entire Osprey backpack.  I also have a set of REIs that have a carry handle on the top of each one.  They're nice because you can carry them and hang them from the handle, and they also roll up to the size of a hotdog bun.  The Osprey and Dana pouches aren't so stow friendly.

8:24 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

mystery ranch makes accessory pockets you can attach to pretty much any backpack that has webbing on the exterior - one holds a liter bottle, the other is a smaller, padded boxy thing with a top.  look at their website where it says 'accessories.'  the bottle pockets are pretty inexpensive considering.  

i tend to use a reservoir & hose until the weather goes below freezing but really like having bottle-sized side pockets to stow hats, gloves, energy bars & so on.  (goes without saying that i also like them for holding a bottle + insulated jacket when it's cold out).  

8:57 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

Good call on the Mystery Ranch, lb.  Same basic design of the old Dana Design pouches.  Haul loops as a smart addition.  $60 for a pair is still cheaper than a single Dana Design if you don't find them on Craigslist or as a Buy It Now on eBay, which does happen fairly often.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/recreation/pack-accessories/long-pocket

10:04 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Those mystery ranch pockets look nice.  I might get some for my wife's pack.  I like the rip-zip and the long pocket.

10:15 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

I am a real fan of having external pockets on a pack.  Sure, I'm the one still using an external frame Kelty, so it's what I'm used to.  But is very practical too.  In one pocket I have my fuel can & my long-handled spoon.  In another pocket, safely segregated from everything else, I carry the TP, trowel, and hand sanitizer.  In another I carry matches & my headlamp.  In the fourth pocket, batteries for all my electronics gear.

I always know exactly where to find all these things, and never have to go fishing thru liters of gear in the dark to find small items.  Every time I pack my pack, everything has its place, and I know exactly where to find each item when needed. This has actually been one factor that has kept me using the old pack.

Then again, I'm a project manager by trade. Throwing all my gear in one big sack would be like starting a large project by saying "a bunch of us are going to do a bunch of things" without planning out a work breakdown structure & schedule.  :)

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply