RIP merino baselayer and patagonia customer service

5:05 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

one of my favorite baselayers failed today - patagonia expedition-weight merino shirt, zip-neck.  i was de-layering during a walk and put a nice, hand-sized hold in the sleeve next to the cuff.  i could have mended it, but it would have been rather unsightly and would probably require me to attach some kind of backing so the stitches wouldn't further damage the material.  bummer.  i have had it for a number of years. 

to make matters worse, patagonia has discontinued their expedition merino baselayers.  we have a local store, where i brought the wounded shirt.  i learned they are re-working the design and fabric construction with plans to roll out next year (maybe).  supposedly, the new shirts will wrap wool around nylon fibers to make the fabric more durable, more capable of holding its shape, and less prone to shrinkage. 

on the upside, they offered to replace the torn shirt for free with either a merino wool "3" shirt (mid-weight layer) or an expedition-weight capilene shirt.  as much as i will miss the wool, i went with the capilene because its weight is closer to the torn shirt.

kudos to patagonia for excellent customer service.  they stand behind their gear. 

5:18 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

As much as I love wool I prefer capaline and the like from other companies for winter use. Simply because they dry much faster than wool, and in the winter that is of upmost importance to me. I do have a wool sweater and a eddie bauer wool shirt that I use as mid layers in winter, but for the base layer it's capaline all the way for me.

I think you will be very happy with the capaline 3.

6:42 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Whew...When I read the title of your thread, I thought you were going to relate a horror story about Patagonia's stellar customer service being dead...Comma, man...use a comma!

11:00 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Rambler,

Try a Stoic brand.  There have been a lot of them on steep and cheap lately. If you don't like it you can return it no questions asked.  Go to http://www.sacalerts.com/history.php and search stoic.

9:37 a.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

pillowthread said:

Whew...When I read the title of your thread, I thought you were going to relate a horror story about Patagonia's stellar customer service being dead...Comma, man...use a comma!

I thought the same thing. Commas are your friend :)

10:17 a.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Commas won't help. To avoid heart attacks, strokes and other nasties phrase it this way:  Patagonia customer service and RIP merino baselayer.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply