What Next?

6:54 p.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I am going to climb Shasta after I get back from Nepal....I will need a tent........I got a 150 gift card to REI.....

8:44 a.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

So many tents, so little time.....er...I mean money...

I have no idea what to steer you toward that REI might have, Gift. But I am sure there will be no shortage of opinions :)

What are your desired specs and parameters for the tent?

8:52 a.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I have never owned a tent. I guess something that will not be TOO heavy and just enough room for me and my pack and boots. Easy to put up and get down. wont make me too deaf in the wind......

10:09 a.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
532 forum posts

I was looking at Mt Shasta on Wikipedia.  Looks cool!  You'll need a 4 season for sure.

10:22 a.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Thanks Rob! At least my searches can now be limited to that criteria!

10:46 a.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,153 forum posts

Or there is a the REI Camp 2 tent. I just went over to REIs site and see its only $99 and weighs just 4 lb 15 oz.

REI-Camp-2.jpg

It uses clips instead of pole sleeves which makes it easier to set up and take down.

At $99 you could use the extra $50 to buy stove fuel or something.

There is also another REI tent called the Passage 1 and weighs 4.3 lbs Its a 0ne person tent and is also a clip pole tent. Its $119 now at REIs site.

You have never had a tent before? What do you do now just sleep out in the open in a sleeping bag?

11:08 a.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

It really depends on what time of year and what route you are going to do on Shasta. I have been up Shasta several times, mostly in spring. Great place to train for full-on expeditions, since you can get major storms. But you can do it with no tent if you camp at Horse Camp and go up Avalanche Gulch, say in April or May, or Green Butte Ridge - long day for most people, but have been done RT in 3 hours. I have used my SD Flashlite and I have used my Bibler for April climbs. And I have gone with no tent at all, just dug a snow cave.

Big thing to remember is that Shasta can be quite benign, and it can be one of the world's most vicious mountains. People die on that mountain every year, and way too many people are seriously injured. The only climbing partner of mine who died in a climbing incident died on Shasta (the incident triggered a chain of events that led to RCU and RBU being spun off from VFTT to become Trailspace). Avalanche Gulch is a pleasant, though physically challenging, climb on a good day, but can have avalanches or continuous rockfall. The weather can be pleasantly warm and sunny, or it can feature hundred knot winds or whiteouts. As a 14,000 foot peak that is that first high mountain from the Pacific, it generates it's own weather, which can change rapidly. Climbing it in July or August is often a long, steep scree slog.

No super skill required on a good day - newbies do it all the time. OTOH, it is a challenge for the most experienced and well equipped mountaineer on a bad day. Be sure to read the accident summary for Shasta and other information from the USFS rangers on that website.

12:22 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I know you are looking at Mount Shasta. If you are going to be using this tent on trips like this I would ask Bill_S, whomeworry and other mountain climbers.

If you are going to use it for "ordinary" hiking you might like the NEMO Morpho 1P Tent

440pixel.gif

It's on sale at REI for 239.93. It does not use traditional poles. it uses an air beam support.

The 1p got a bad review here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/nemo/morpho/. The 2 person got better reviews: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/nemo/morpho-2p/.

There is also this tent at REI outlet.  Marmot Widi 2P Tent. $269.93. It's listed as 3-season but it might do for light mountaineering because of the type of construction. It's a 2 person so you should have plenty of room for gear or you can take somebody with you.

For a light tent and money left over: Marmot Traillight 2P

Only $119.93 and 4lb 10oz for a 2P tent.  Weird door placement and small vestibule.  Might not be the driest when exiting in rain. 

Now this one I really like the design of.  Asolo Velocity 2 tent I have a similar tent from Alps Mountaineering called the Chaos.  Asolo has just gotten into the tent business i believe.  They've been in the boot business for a while and have a decent reputation I think.

440pixel.gif440pixel.gif

Note the spreader bar at the top of the tent. This gives you a lot more useable room inside tent and rain is much less likely to get in if you have to.

12:38 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

REI is running a clearance sale right now. They have some pretty good deals going on tents, etc.

http://www.rei.com/

Might be a good time for you to maximize your gift cards potential. :)

2:50 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

You have never had a tent before? What do you do now just sleep out in the open in a sleeping bag?

I see comments like this all the time - astonishment at the idea of sleeping "out in the open in a sleeping bag". In the past couple years, I have seen it  called "cowboy camping". I don't know where the term originated, but having grown up in "cowboy country" (the Sonora Desert), I know that real cowboys have a chuck wagon handy to prepare the meals. Yeah, they sleep on the ground, sometimes under the stars, sometimes under canvas (tarp, tent, leanto). BTDT many times. I did not have a tent until I caved in while camping in the Biolet campground in Chamonix, after a solid week of rain, spent under a plastic sheet for a tarp. The family had a tent, and I did have a military tent for a while while I was 8 to 10 years old, and the summer I was Nature Counselor at a Boy Scout Camp, I used a military hammock a few times. But most of my climbing in California from the 1950s and '60s was under the stars. I also slept under the stars during trips back West and even in New England, plus one night on Denali in 2002. Sleeping under the stars is the most enjoyable kind of camping. You can lay there watching meteors (as in John Denver's song with the line "I've watched fire raining from the sky"), the magnificent wheeling of the heavens and progression of the stars and planets across the heavens, the alpenglow at sunset and at dawn on the peaks - if you haven't done it, you have missed one of the most spectacular things the outdoors has to offer. Forget the nonsense about the critters just waiting to attack you in the WILDerness. You think a thin piece of fabric is going to protect you from a bear or puma? Or all those escaped and maddened homicidal felonious maniacs? Ok, there are times when the mosquitoes and black flies are out there. But if a rattler decides to curl up with you to keep warm, as long as you stay calm, s/he will go on its way in the morning.

3:54 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I have bunked with others in their tents. They always tell me not to bring one and we double up. I want to be more independant and ahve my own now. OR been open air. AND I was out of commission activity wise for about 20 years. Mostly day hilking since getting back and now gearing up.

How is this NEMO thing:

NEMO.jpg

HERE

4:34 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

The question is do you want a one person tent or a two person tent. Because your gear needs a place as well.

4:56 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

giftogab said:

How is this NEMO thing:

NEMO.jpg

HERE

For $130 off retail great :)

I don't know. Technically its a single wall tent. I am not a fan of single walls but thats just me. 

The floor specs look good but as I have mentioned in other threads alot of companies come to these dimensions based on grommet to grommet measurements.

I am not saying this is the case with Nemo but if it is it could make the interior(usable) interior floor somewhat smaller in both length and width.

I have also not become a fan of the windows in tents nowadays.

Sometimes I want to sleep and with windows the sun is in your face at the crack of dawn. Again, thats just me.  

Here is a vid of the set-up:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnyvlTfwPKY

5:10 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,153 forum posts

Denis said: The question is do you want a one person tent or a two person tent. Because your gear needs a place as well.

My Mtn Hardwear Meridean 2 is just big enough for me inside with about a foot wider to use to do other stuff, but it also has a vestibule on either side with doors on both sides to hold my gear.

Bills said: astonishment at the idea of sleeping "out in the open in a sleeping bag".

I am just astonished that she has never owned a tent. I too camp under the stars when the weather is not rainy and under just a tarp, especially on long hikes when the weight of a tent is too much.

6:46 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Gary....in the first chapter of my life I had work boots and a back pack. Two water bottles and a hat. I had no money for any more gear. Then I stopped playing outside and many many years went by. I got fat and out of shape. Nearly crippled with weight/back issues. I got off the couch, out to play and bought boots and a pack. I now have money to invest in gear. Thus, when I was yopung,. my hiking partner always had the tent. Even in THIS hike up Shasta, my bro told me he had a tent and I don't need one...but I think I do.

7:42 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Bill S said:

..most of my climbing in California from the 1950s and '60s was under the stars...

..there are times when the mosquitoes and black flies are out there...

I only sleep in a tent when the weather is inclement.  I will resort to a personal bug canopy to keep insects at bay.   Nothing beats nodding in and out of sleep under the stars, and waking up to a bedroom furnished by trees, where the walls are the mountain peaks framing the valley where you are camped.  

As for a tent for Shasta, I agree with Bill.  You can sleep in your car, or get by with a good three season tent in the lower camps or sleep in the open, weather permitting.  I have climbed Shasta four times - three times it forced us back due to winds.  Like all of the cone peaks of the northwest, Shasta creates it own often violent and volatile weather.  We used 3 season tents on three of those trips, camping low.  The other trip we brought along a 4 season tent to camp higher, but took it down and dug a cave when the winds started shrieking "run for cover!"

PS: Shasta is a great venue, one of my favorites for many reasons.  I wish I lived closer.

Ed

8:42 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Bill S said:

But if a rattler decides to curl up with you to keep warm, as long as you stay calm, s/he will go on its way in the morning. 

Well that right there was the clincher for me. No tentless sleeping for me!

8:49 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

Well that right there was the clincher for me. No tentless sleeping for me!

But Bill, our no legged friends need love too...

8:56 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

I love them plenty - viewed through a very long telephoto lens :).

9:01 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

This one is harmless, loves long walks on the beach, and cuddling. :)

025.jpg

9:08 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Yeah - "cuddle" means "wrap itself around your neck and squeeze really tightly", lol

12:24 a.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I prefer a good skinning and a long fry IN MY FRY PAN!

Ed and BillS: Thanks for the hands on Shasta history. Gonna talk to my bro about the down side to be sure we are properly prepared.

10:29 a.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

One of my more memorable high camps was on a ridge on the north side of Shasta in a storm. A flat spot barely big enough for my Impotent, we awoke to clear skies the next day.

Re: the Nemo Morpho 1 P and 2 P. I have used both, and reviewed the 2 P with  a Trailspace article I did on NEMO. The 1 P is set for a review, now that I've lived with it for a year. There is a lot to recommend the air support technology, and NEMO's quality is first rate. NEMO has done a good job of trying to address the condensation issues with single wall, non-breathable tents. An awning, open at the end, would, IMHO be a better alternative to the sloping design at front and back of many single wall tents. The 1 P and 2 P Morphos have low side vents in the walls to improve breathability, as well as a breathable panel inside in the ceiling. I have used the 1 P in two+ weeks on a mostly rainy canoe trip in Northern BC, in the snow, and on a  week+ trip in central BC. It does have condensation issues common with others of its ilk. A screened window at the rear, does offer more ventilation, but cannot be used fully open in rain because of the sloping end. There is plenty of room in the tent for one person and gear and the tent goes up easily and quickly. Once staked out, I do find that an extra guy at front and rear help to keep the tent taut. This tent is great for going up quickly and easily, and is most suitable in areas where rain comes in showers, rather than in days on drenching. Think the Sierras, rather than the Hoh. Although you will always have some condensation, it is easily wiped off and the remaining dampness dries quickly because it is a single wall tent. Hope this helps.

10:44 a.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Friendly male.  Looking for sleeping companion.  Will only strike when provoked.  Cuddling required.  Must enjoy long walks on the beach, etc.

48-16.jpg

1:38 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Friendly male my rear.  That's a lawyer getting ready to sue somebody.

11:20 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

OCALA! I resemble that comment! :)

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply