Canon PowerShot D10

1:51 a.m. on January 19, 2012 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I am interested to hear your experiences with the Canon PowerShot D10 camera.  Is it too big for hiking/backpacking?  How is the image quality?

1:47 p.m. on January 19, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

i can't say anything about that camera, but i've uses another camera of similar strengths, that camera does have megapixels but i've decided to never take a GREAT picture opportunity with an OKAY camera...

I sacrificed some extra weight and mass in the pack in order to bring along a Sony SuperShot. though, it is now out-of-date i still prefer it to a point&shoot!

I put mine in a Lowepro softcase and put that on my hipbelt for quick pics... and I've got a dry bag nearby when it starts to rain.

4:54 p.m. on January 19, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I'm assuming you are looking at this one because it is water proof?  I've never used this camera but I do use a Canon SX100is.  The closest to it is the SX130is and SX150is

The best rule of thumb with cameras is bigger the lense the better the picture.  Any of the Nikon, Canon, etc. digital cameras will take good pictures outdoors, IF you don't blow them up.  When you enlarge them or "zoom in" you will see chromatic aberration.  If you don't know what that means click on the photo below.  It appears as a "rainbow" effect near the edges of the picture.  You will need to on View / Download Original on the right of the page.  Chromatic aberration doesn't happen in the center of a picture but increases the further you get from it.   I don't usually enlarge pictures that much so it doesn't bother me.

The main reason I like my camera is it has a large number of modes including manual ones and a large optical zoom and it has a macro mode. 

You might want to visit this thread.

Camera suggestions for hiking

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply