Women's medium weight backpacking boots for very narrow feet...

2:57 p.m. on January 22, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi,

New guy here from Washington State in need of some help finding a pair of womens medium weight, waterproof (gtx), backpacking boots for my wife's very narrow, size 11 feet.  I've done some looking around and it seems that Vasque and Asolo are known to be narrower.  But, we bought some Vasque Sundowners for her over 10 years (best we could find at the time from REI) ago that are so stiff, she gets blisters fast and won't take the time now to really break them/her feet into them.

So, I'm looking for a boot for her that is very easy to walk in and not stiff, yet will give enough support for up to 40lb loads or so, has a gtx liner.  I here the Vasques are now made in China, so that makes me think more about the Asolo (still made in Italy I hope).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

3:01 p.m. on January 22, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

have her try some Keens wiyh thick socks. nearly no breakin needed.

3:38 p.m. on January 22, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,217 reviewer rep
607 forum posts

I have narrow feet and have found Zamberlan to fit me best.....but boot advice is a tricky thing as there are so many other variables. I would also look into a full grain leather boot rather than a gore tex version, leather breathes better, and properly treated is waterproof/ will last longer.

3:54 p.m. on January 22, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Keen Erickson is full grain leather. They are in mens sizes but i called keen and the lasts they use are the same. They just haven't called a set for women yet. Just convert the size. They do have a bi toe box, so with the narrow you are looking for, may not do. I took Asolo back because of narrowness and wrong for my foot. Bills swears by going to a good boot fitter, but that can get costly. The reason I suggest Keen is the ease of uses without too much, if any, break in needed. Merrill may be a choice for that as well.

7:03 p.m. on January 22, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Yeah, she has that narrow foot the full length (AAA) and size 11, so we need something that fits that as close as possible, it easy to walk in (not stiff full shank) and OK for backpack loads up to 40lbs. or so.

8:18 p.m. on January 22, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
537 forum posts

Kayland's boots are built for narrow feet.

11:43 p.m. on January 22, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

Garmont boots run narrow. You might watch for them.

11:50 p.m. on January 22, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

Maybe I should have written "watch out for them" as the way I learned about their narrow lasts was painful experience!

12:11 a.m. on January 23, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lowa runs narrow... At least they do on my feet. :p

Welcome to Trailspace jmden....

5:34 a.m. on January 23, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Adidas Terrex Fast FM Mid - gtx

Excellent lacing system that adjusts easily to the width of any foot

their even on sale at Zappos at ~$125.

They were $160

these are like a mid height, lightweight, waterproof running shoe

they are made in China

Vasque is still a pretty decent boot

2:17 a.m. on February 22, 2012 (EST)
154 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

Maybe a bit late addition to post but Scarpa seems pretty narrow to me. The Scarpa Terra is leather lightweight.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply