Nice gear haul today from Savers and TJ Max

6:36 p.m. on January 25, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Ok so on my way home from work today I did my weekly ritual of stopping in at these two stores(they are side by side, how nice of them!). Today i made a good haul.

At Savers(like goodwill etc) i picked up a nice merino mid-heavy weight l/s knit. I would put it somewhere above a cap 3 in thickness but less than a cap 4. It was only 1.99 so i couldn't pass it up lol. It's a Brandini brand, made in Italy. Never heard of the brand, but it seems well made and is comfortable. It's good merino wool at that, not scratchy whatsoever.

Then I walked over to TJ Max's clearance racks. I got about 8 pairs of icebreaker merino wool socks(different models) for 1.50 a pair, a pair of fox fiver merino wool socks for 3$, and a pair of Cabot merino socks for 3$. I had never seen or used the cabot socks but those socks are very very nice IMO, in fact i like them better than any other brand i have purchased so far. Will have to give em a use in the field, but they look and feel very promising.

I also found a Mountain Hardware Corvus Dome for $7, this is a discontinued model i believe. But it is a merino wool beanie but its a little larger than a normal beanie and comes down over your ears without having to pull down the sides. I also has a build in neck gaiter/balaclava. At first i thought it was kinda weird, but i tried it on and i have to say that i really like it. I think it will be a nice addition to my winter kit and will let me leave behind my old ragg wool military beanie and also leave home my extra balaclava. It is also a nice kinda burnt orange color which will be nice to have during hunting season. I had been looking for an orange wool beanie but hadnt found one that wasn't astronomically expensive before now.

They also had a mountain hardware primaloft beanie, which i was tempted to buy as well but decided against it. Looks very warm, but didn't think it would be practical for me.

I will post a review of the corvus after my trip coming up here in feb.

Its that time of year! check your local thrift stores and tj maxes and marshalls etc, bargains a plenty to be had!

7:29 p.m. on January 25, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Sweet score.

We have TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc here but it seems that the selection is more geared towards Ralph Lauren, CK, blah blah blah...

Maybe someday I will get lucky. Then again I guess its all based on demographics. 

8:38 p.m. on January 25, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

The TJ max's near me usually have a good asortment of columbia, under armor, some mountain hardwear, and darn tough, icebreaker, and fox river socks often.

9:04 p.m. on January 25, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Sweet score.

We have TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc here but it seems that the selection is more geared towards Ralph Lauren, CK, blah blah blah...

same here.  call me somewhat envious, while my wallet is not.

11:50 p.m. on January 25, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

I think I'm going to have to check out TJ Maxx.  Doubt I'll find any merino wool (Florida) but you never know.

7:15 a.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Its one of those stores where you really have to go through every rack of the 'active wear' because little gems get mixed in. My store has a outdoor sock/hat section with the mens socks. This is where i always find the wool socks and whatnot. You just need to scrutinize the labels to make sure they are really wool, all of the labels show how many % wool etc.

12:57 a.m. on January 27, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Nice finds Rambler! Wish I could score some deals on socks like that. I have'nt checked out a TJ Maxx yet. but I do pretty good at Savers for shirts and sweaters

ocala -  ya never know what your gonna find. I live in Phoenix and find nice Merino stuff at the Savers all the time. Ive actually quit buying anymore shirts and sweaters unless I find something really sweet!

2:40 p.m. on January 28, 2012 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

This is great.  The big dollar specialty stores should get a wiff of this too.

12:43 a.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Yeah usually you can find some good stuff at these stores. I knabbed a Marmot Zeus vest for $50.00 a couple of years ago.

Luckily people who don't spend a lot of time outdoors don't know what the good brands are and just walk right by them. Their usually looking the trendy stuff like North Face and Columbia and that's about it.

The Dick's in my area are also starting heavily discount all the Mtn. Hardwear, Marmot and Patagonia stuff. Most of it is the heavy duty jackets (which I have enough of). Waiting for the fleeces and lighter stuff to be discounted.

12:52 a.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Sweet score.

Maybe someday I will get lucky. Then again I guess its all based on demographics. 

C'mon can't be haten' on RL!  I grabbed a RL wool overcoat for $65.00 at Marshalls last year. Great coat that's warm looks great.

Need to look good as well while at work or having drinks downtown with the GF. 

7:38 a.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have pretty good luck at a few nearby thrift stores, mostly at a particular Goodwill.

Scored a  black silk / cashmere mock-turtle neck sweater with coveted "Dolman" sleeves ("batwing"-style ...  great for "V"-shaped guys like me) for three ($3) American Dollars.

The high-light of my foray was a splendid Googi sweater, for $8 (!!!), to add to my collection.   In case you aren't familiar with these, they were made famous by Bill Cosby, as he wore them regularly on a TV show.   They cost new, $370,  back in the 1980s.  Made in Australia.   Fabulous colors.

A few miles up the road (Queenstown), there is a "Factory Outlets Center",  with an Eddie Bauer, an L.L.Bean, a Merrell store, and others.

L.L.Bean is always a fount of bargains.

Life is good.

~ r2 ~

1:58 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Googi sweater, for $8 (!!!), to add to my collection.   In case you aren't familiar with these, they were made famous by Bill Cosby, as he wore them regularly on a TV show.   They cost new, $370,  back in the 1980s.  Made in Australia.   Fabulous colors.

~ r2 ~

Do you mean Coogi? If it says "Googi" on the tag its a knock-off. :p

5:08 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Right'cha are, Rick !

It is definitelty a COOGI.   My misspell.   (O0oops !).   My iMac spell-check does not recognize proper names, apparently.

I am fairly familiar with the COOGIs.   I just checked  -- I have fourteen (14) of 'em.

Wore one to Worship Meeting (I'm a Quaker) this morning.   Always elicits compliments.   Especially, from women that are knitters.

~ r2 ~

5:12 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Right'cha are, Rick !

It is definitelty a COOGI.   My misspell.   (O0oops !).   My iMac spell-check does not recognize proper names, apparently.

I am fairly familiar with the COOGIs.   I just checked  -- I have fourteen (14) of 'em.

Wore one to Worship Meeting (I'm a Quaker) this morning.   Always elicits compliments.   Especially, from women that are knitters.

~ r2 ~

Lol, I just had to mess with ya. 

5:32 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Noooo ....   Actually, I appreciate your sharp eye.   Thank you !

You should receive a bonus, as the "resident copy editor".

I often do not proof-read my submissions.   Need to work on that.

Also, it is good to alert Trailspace members to items like the Coogi sweaters.   They are works of art ... and, have become "collectable".   Vintage hiking and camping gear are probably overlooked by the general public, very often.   

~ r2 ~

10:07 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

For you PC users try the FireFox browser. It spell checks.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply