Big Agness Moon Hill 0 Degree

8:10 p.m. on January 28, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

This is the bag I got for the trip. I have been testing it out for getting used to, not for conditions but for the fact I hate mummy bags. I am getting worried I made the wrong choice with the slip in pad. I am a side sleeper. Read all the comments on other threads but am starting to think I should go a different way....

12:30 a.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

My solution was a wide size mummy bag from Alps.   I can roll inside the bag.  The opening is big enough that I don't suffocate, but small enough to keep the warmth in.  I would probably get a -20 version of their Desert Pine model which would probably be as warm as the Big Agnes. Not the lightest but you're using porters for this trip.  

There's also these Nemo's first sleeping bags new shape for side-sleepers

2:51 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Gonna go look now, thanks, Ocala!

::Karen

2:59 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Giftogab, maybe a bag like the BA Storm King would work for you being you are not fond of the conventional "mummy" style of bag? 

If it is due to a mummy bag being somewhat more "confined" the Storm King has a rectangular cut towards the footbox end but still give ya the benefit of the mummy style from the torso up and still includes a hood. 

Just a thought as always. I can sleep on my side in my TNF mummy bags no problem. 

Kinda funny, I have on more than one occasion found myself face down sleeping on my stomach staring into my hood. :p

3:14 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I may be the outcast, but i vote quilt.

3:15 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

TheRambler said:

You're not an outcast lol. 

4:35 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

THanks, Rambler...thinking of throwing on in the bottom of the duffel if there is room. Gona look at the Storm King....it is like 10 inches bigger at the bottom and that is the issue I have with mummies....could also toss a foot warmer in if to cold.

4:37 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

giftogab said:

THanks, Rambler...thinking of throwing on in the bottom of the duffel if there is room. Gona look at the Storm King....it is like 10 inches bigger at the bottom and that is the issue I have with mummies....could also toss a foot warmer in if to cold.

Plus it gives ya a bit more room to fire in your boots, or other things that ya don't want to freeze when the temps drop at night. 

5:02 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

TheRambler said:

You're not an outcast lol. 

No.  Yes.  

~ r2 ~

7:24 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I think you are looking for one shaped like this. It's a Browning Klondike.

klondike-green.png

http://www.browningcamping.com/browning/products/bags/klondike

It's definitely for macho red neck hunters and not for backpacking.  Outer fabric is listed as rugged canvas, weighs 15lbs. and has a -30F rating. Arrrgh arrrrgh arrgh!

10:55 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Well, that could cost me to transport ON THE PLANE! HA...looks great but, weight restrictions fling may prevent it!

11:22 p.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Im not a big fan of mummies either. I toss and turn all night, I have 2 oversized bags that give me that little bit of extra room to thrash about. There is a wieght penalty for the oversize but to me its worth the few ounces for a good night sleep.

11:34 p.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

ocala - YEAH dats what Im talking bout! That looks like one heck of a comfy basecamp bag. I sure wish I could take my basecamp bag packing but 78 x 36 synthetic, flannel lined,  aprx. 10 lbs. its a little bulky and heavy. But dang its the most comfortable bag Ive ever owned

2:25 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Looks like I will be selling my Big Agnes Moon Hill 0 degree and buying a Big Agnes Storm King.

BABAG.jpg

HERE is the Moon Hill by comparison:

BAMOON.jpg

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply