Good deal on trekking poles.

4:54 p.m. on February 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

There have been a lot of Black Diamond trekking poles on SteepandCheap.com  lately at about %50 off.  Several different models 35 to 50 bucks for a pair.

No endorsement of any product intended. 

Use sacalerts.com to setup alerts so you don't have to watch steepandcheep.

7:33 p.m. on February 6, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Great site, Steep and Cheap. I got a lot of gear from there over the last year getting ready for my trip. Just bought a Patagonia Fitz Roy last night!

7:41 p.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

Probably because bd is rolling out new fliklocks in the spring. No matter, the current poles are quite nice.

. But, I personally think it is worth holding out for poles with shock absorbers and dual flicklocks.

8:44 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Outdoor Products poles at walmart have dual latch locks, same as BD flicklocks. Best value on the market.

8:54 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I use the Leki poles and really like them. I rely on them a lot. I have never had any others so cannot compare, but they have loosened at the flipper a couple times and I have had them slip on me. I really have to have poles on anything steep coming down and I put the weight on them for sure.

1:17 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I try to always look at how something is made vs name brand, i worked in manufacturing for over 20 years and you would be surprised how much of everything out there is the exact same with a few meaningless differences
and the $$$ you pay for a advertised name (advertising isn't cheap).  If its made in china most likely it comes from the same factory that makes all the others. - just my 2 cents, oh my girlfriend hates the ones with shocks absorber's, i don't really care for them either, i like to feel where i plant the stick in the ground without any give. 

1:45 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

GIjoehiker, I wasn't a fan of anti-shock poles for the longest time for the same reasons you stated above. 

I have to say that I am impressed with Leki's Soft Anti-shock Lite system. Its a short travel set-up and it works well. 

If you want to take a look at the review here is a link:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/leki/thermolite-aergon-xl-antishock/review/23733/

Leki poles are manufactured in Europe. 

2:01 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Thanks Rick-Pittsburgh, I was only pointing out to know what your buying, so many people buy on brand name and don't look at what makes up the product. I know the Leki Eagle Trekking Poles are made in the USA. 

2:03 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah, my Aergons are made in Europe... At least that is what I was told when I inquired with Leki about them. 

2:55 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

If you like that try GearScan.com

2:59 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

. But, I personally think it is worth holding out for poles with shock absorbers and dual flicklocks.

I used to dislike "shock absorbers" because all the ones out there were more like pogo sticks ("shock rebounders"). Then I tried out the Leki softer, short throw ones which really are more like a shock absorber. I have had several discussions at the OR Show with the Leki reps about the potential combination of flick lock and shock absorbers. There is a problem with making shock absorbers compatible with flick locks because of the shock absorber being internal to the pole section. Leki has a combined flick lock and shock absorber pole coming out that they showed at the OR Show. It us a 3-section pole that has the flick lock for the middle section and the shock absorber in the twist lock lower section.

I have been toying with an idea for a 3 or 4 section pole for several years that is flick lock on all sections and has a real shock absorber (Leki's is still a spring). I think I have it worked out, but would have to have one of the existing manufacturers build it (I have thought out about 2 dozen "inventions" in my life, several of which have eventually been done by others and are real "world beaters" that have brought in literally billions for the people who actually realized them and got the patents - never actually carried through to any patents, but then I am a theoretician, not an engineer).

3:07 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Bill S said:

leadbelly2550 said:

I used to dislike "shock absorbers" because all the ones out there were more like pogo sticks ("shock rebounders"). Then I tried out the Leki softer, short throw ones which really are more like a shock absorber. I have had several discussions at the OR Show with the Leki reps about the potential combination of flick lock and shock absorbers. There is a problem with making shock absorbers compatible with flick locks because of the shock absorber being internal to the pole section. Leki has a combined flick lock and shock absorber pole coming out that they showed at the OR Show. It us a 3-section pole that has the flick lock for the middle section and the shock absorber in the twist lock lower section.

I noticed this on the AS poles that Leki produces that combine the Speed Lock with the Super Lock and always wondered why.

Thanks for the clarification on that one OGBO. That does make sense. 

I have been toying with an idea for a 3 or 4 section pole for several years that is flick lock on all sections and has a real shock absorber (Leki's is still a spring). I think I have it worked out, but would have to have one of the existing manufacturers build it (I have thought out about 2 dozen "inventions" in my life, several of which have eventually been done by others and are real "world beaters" that have brought in literally billions for the people who actually realized them and got the patents - never actually carried through to any patents, but then I am a theoretician, not an engineer).

This sounds like an interesting concept. This is gas charged or hydraulic? I am wondering how long seals, etc would last. Hmmmm. 

11:27 a.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
19 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I picked up a set of the Leki "Soft Anti Shock" and am semi-impressed with them.  (Have not actually hiked with them yet - hopefully later today after work or tomorrow)  The shock travel is only about an inch or less seems like it would do a good job of absorbing some of the impact but not enough to make the poles feel spongy.  They are very light even though I did not spring for the carbon fiber version.

I think I had some black diamond poles but I have been really impressed with the way LEKI stands behind the PCT thru hiker community.  Every time I have been to the kickoff party I have seen one of their reps there tuning up hiker's poles, swapping out tips, adjusting, repairing, replacing, etc. sometimes without a charge depending on the nature of the repair.  The availability of replacement parts, etc of LEKI is excellent.  (So I spent a few $ extra to go with the "good stuff.")

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply