About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

MSRP increases on products for 2012.

4:16 p.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So I was looking at miscellaneous gear today and noticed something.

Price increases.

The Scarpa boots(SL M3) that I own retailed for $249... Now they are at $269 on Scarpa's site.

Hilleberg tents? Yep they went up too(good heads up vigilguy.) 

My Soulo is now up to $598 for the tent from the $560 I paid for it. I think the footprint went up as well by a few bucks but I'm not sure. 

I checked. The footprint is up to $58 from the $48 I paid.

Thats another $50 beans on a shelter/fp that is already pricey.

So you can now get the tent/footprint for $656 total.... ouch.

Has anyone noticed any other price increases out there in regards to gear, etc. ?

Another question that I have is this...

Could these price increases cause one who was interested in a product before the increase to look into an alternative product now that the prices have gone up? 

8:15 p.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

It seems that there will be a good bit of this for the 2012 seasons. Ive seen it happening with a number of brands.

9:27 p.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
689 forum posts

Yeah - Big Agnes tents are all up.  Same with MSR goods.  I guess the Chinese sweat factories are charging more.

9:34 p.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hmmmm.

I am trying to understand this to some extent.

I know from convos with Scarpa/Hille that they do not outsource so I can somewhat understand the price hike based on the exchange rate of the US dollar(or at least that is what I have heard...)

Now on the other hand, my BA tent... Outsourced(China), most if not all of my MSR gear... Outsourced.

So if these companies are saving money by outsourcing why is the consumer taking a hit in the ol wallet regardless?

What justifies the increase from companies such as BA and MSR(Cascade Designs?)

I suppose this is more of an educational thing for me. :)

9:56 p.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

The price didn't go up so much as the dollar just got weaker.  Keep printing more money and it will get weaker still.  You could take out a loan to get your gear as the resulting interest rates are lower.  Thank you FED.

Should have exchanged all my dollars for yuan last year.  The prices would be down.

11:27 p.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
689 forum posts

Yes - I was joking.  It is due to a weaker dollar to the Yen.  On the other hand, the Euro has taken a beating so technically Hillebergs should be cheaper.

11:52 p.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

CWF said:

On the other hand, the Euro has taken a beating so technically Hillebergs should be cheaper.

Grrrrreeeeaaaaat !!!! Confuse me more lol. 

12:01 a.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

No that just what they say, the real reason is the Corporate big wigs want bigger bonuses!  :p 

Greed it Good, remember!

Poor Wolfman

12:12 a.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
689 forum posts

I guess there can be some solace that Hillebergs have increased price every year for the past 5 by my recollection and they are still cheaper in the US than in Europe.  

Anyone get the 2012 Hilleberg Catalogue?  Last count I want 4 of them.  Now!

12:24 a.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have the catalog. I actually reserved one awile back and they sent it out to me as soon as it was released.

I did kinda wonder why they didn't include a piece of the Kerlon 1000(3 season) to test for tear strength along with the 12 & 18.

All the prices went up on their tents.

12:30 a.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
689 forum posts

So how are you liking the Soulo???

12:37 a.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I like it. Its a great tent. The only thing that annoyed me was that every now and then one of the toggles that attach the inner/fly will detach at random and you really can't tell until ya get in the tent if its on the side opposite the entry.

Last trip the toggle opposite the entry on the bottom corner disconnected. I set the tent up, crawled in to unroll my bag and was like "that's not right." Tipi's shrinking tent theory rares its ugly head? Nope its "Toggles Gone Wild."

It's just a minor inconvenience. For all that the tent is it doesn't bother me too much but can be somewhat irritating when all ya want to do is check your eyelids for holes.

12:43 a.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

So, I’m just a little confused as to why people are surprised as to the price hikes. The funny thing is after this discussion those who buy new will still buy new just as they always do. Every year there is a price is a price hike due to the weak dollar, the rising yen, the rising Euro, inflation, the rise in oil prices, the fact that every one else is raising there prices and top quality companies new to stay competitive in all aspects including pricing, enter any number of other reasons. I can’t remember a time in my life when the price of anything went down or even stayed the same for very long. Solution, let those who have the need to buy the new things now buy them for you and a year later you get to buy it from them at a 66% discount. Who da thunk ;-}>

2:22 a.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

Rick wrote about 'Toggles Gone Wild' and said 'it's a minor inconvenience'.

To that, I say, 'a solo tent that costs $560, I mean, $598 shouldn't have issues like this, minor or otherwise'. From the description. It sounds like a 'bug' to me... and I am surprised Hilleberg (as a supplier of a premium product) would ship it if any issues hadn't been worked out.

Just call me picky :-).

2:01 p.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
689 forum posts

I am going to have to agree with bheiser1.  I haven't had that problem with any of the Hille's that I have owned or used.

Rick - I would give Petra a call.  Something doesn't sound quite right and may be a manufacturing defect.  She will make it right for you.

2:07 p.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I may do that. It happened twice on my last 6 day trip in different areas of the tent. 

She and I were emailing each other back and forth not too long ago discussing some other questions I had on this model. I may shoot her an email in regards to this matter. 

6:18 p.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
689 forum posts

Let us know the response!

6:23 p.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Definitely will do. 

6:35 p.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
93 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

CWF said:

Yes - I was joking.  It is due to a weaker dollar to the Yen.  On the other hand, the Euro has taken a beating so technically Hillebergs should be cheaper.

I think that the dollar has taken an even more severe beating than the Euro lately, so the Euro is ahead because we're more screwed than the Eurozone.

7:17 p.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

Most companies raise their prices in the first quarter of the new year (even if nothing is happening in the financial market to cause it).  Anyone who works in retail can tell you how new price lists come out almost like clockwork in the new year.  3% increases are almost standard.  It's just the way it is.  Personally, I try to always keep this in mind when I'm looking to buy anything of substantial cost.  Not only do I think of the Christmas deal, but I know (in a round-about, screwy way) that I'm also saving money on the new prices that are most assuredly coming in the next couple of months.  I stocked up on a few things in the final quarter of 2011 entirely because of this expectation...and I was right in doing so.

11:42 a.m. on February 9, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
778 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

Yes call or email her Rick.  I got a set of sand and snow pegs for the blemish I had located when I received my tent.

5:16 p.m. on February 9, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hilleberg definitely looked out for ya Rob on the issue you encountered with your inner. 

Honestly? I am just looking for a fix so I don't have to climb out of the tent and fix it in the snow. 

I have a plethora of snow pegs and other stuff.

Being the fly on the tent goes completely to the ground(combined with being staked) it can be a pain in you tail to try and set the toggle again in the snow when all I want to do is check my eyelids for holes..

Like I said its more of an annoyance than anything. 

I sent her an email an hour or so ago.

I will keep everyone posted in regards to the response I get. 

8:42 p.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I received a response from Hilleberg(Petra) and they want me to send the tent in. This is an odd situation from what she is telling me.

I just figured I would update and I will keep everyone informed on what the outcome is once they get the tent and I find out more. 

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply