New replacement for the Integral Designs Wedge

10:27 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

The ID Wedge has been replaced with a side entry model:

http://integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=886

Not to mention a whole 'wack' of new mountain shelters.  Maybe this RAB takeover was a good thing after all....

1:35 a.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Not sure about the quality yet since the takeover...

I stopped by the RAB booth and checked out the ID bivies...let's just say I am grateful that I own my ID Wedge made in Canada and not China.  Quality (seams and fabric) was drastically different.

1:49 a.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

That's what I was afraid of...

2:25 a.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

I won't pretend to know hardly anything about the ID shelters, having never used one, but is eVent no longer considered a quality fabric Vigilguy?

Can't comment myself on the quality of ID build, but I have had great experiences with eVent in my winter trail runners.

7:25 a.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Wow, that really is a bunch of new shelters. Somebody at RAB must've wanted to increase the product line greatly!

9:20 a.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

@XterroBrando - Please do not misunderstand my post.  The ID Wedge made in Canada is made from eVent, and it is one of my favorite shelters.

Those of us that have owned and used ID products over the years have grown to love the fine quality of the product that originated from Canada.  It us just sickening to me to see the difference in craftsmanship ( or lack thereof) compared to what we were used to.

This is totally my opinion and others may disagree.  Evan at ID made fabulous quality gear. (and still does, with Integral Tactical).

10:29 a.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I'll wait for some reviews.  At least RAB was smart enough to make the Wedge with a side entry.  And I am blown away by the multitude of eVent choices.

With respect to quality.  I own some RAB clothing and it is better than my ID clothing (I have PLQ pants that had the waist band sewed over at the back - they were replaced but....).

I also know that TiPi Walter had an MK3 that leaked at the seams so go figure.

backpackinglight.com loves the RAB Summit Extreme as it performed admirably.

Hurry up - someone buy one and report back.

Notably, if you take one of their tunnel tents (in the UL section) and add an inner, you come to a similar weight as the Hilleberg Nallo with over $200 left in your pocket.  That I like.

11:34 a.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hmmmm, alot of options now in the ID line. I looked at the specs etc on all of them. 

For serious weather I am kinda in the Hille camp after what I experienced on my last trip a few days ago.

Yep, I'm a fan in the aspect of stability & weather resistance. Granted they cost just about more than anything else I have seen out there but for the level of protection they provide I will pay the extra coin for the peace of mine that when you know what hits the fan I am covered.

I am going to send the tent back to them(at Hille's request) for an issue I am running into. 

I will be firing out a(short term) review on the Soulo after this little issue gets dealt with. I think dealing with customer service should be included in a review as well. An experience such as this can make or break a product dependent upon how it is handled.

Okay, back on the whole RAB/ID thing. 

I dunno... I am curious as too how the quality is nowadays. I suspect it went downhill from vigilguy's feedback here. 

2:50 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I am gratified so see / hear others remark about the "quality" (sic) of products made in China.

As some (here) may have noticed, I have tried to hammer this point across, literally from 'Day One'.

We should not be reticent or shy about this.   We are generally tawkin' major dinero.   "Hard-earned money".

Serious backpackers and hikers, and outdoorsmen (and women), expect quality and value for their investments.

pax vobiscum

~ r2 ~

an informed outdoorsman

2:56 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Serious backpackers and hikers, and outdoorsmen (and women), expect quality and value for their investments.

pax vobiscum

~ r2 ~

an informed outdoorsman

I expect whatever I am using to be up to snuff whenever you know what hits the fan regardless of where it is made. 

Lets face it.

Your gear performing the way it was intended without self destructing can be a deciding factor of whether or not ya get off the mountain alive.

Dependent upon conditions of course.

7:23 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

My almost twenty years of field experience with ID products have demonstrated to me that Evan Jones made some of the finest gear I have ever used or seen and I have some items from the early '90s, that are in perfect condition. I like ID gear, always have and much of that is due to it's relative simplicity, less to screwup and cause an ornery old geezer, like me, to experience unwanted "spikes" in my blood pressure!

My experience with Chinese-made gear is that a lot of it IS pretty damn good, especially for the price and my "Exped" items are simply excellent. So, while I am an "ultra-nationalist" and will buy Canadian and American before anything else, I gotta give credit where it is honestly due. That said, I absolutely trust Vigilguy's word on anything, he has proven to be an outstanding gentleman in every respect in the years I have dealt with him.

I called my gear shop, owned by a great guy from South Africa, here in Greater Vancouver, yesterday, looking for an inexpensive "bedroom" 2-person mountain tent in a neutral colour for lending to guys whom I take hunting, but, who are not "close" friends and thus I prefer not to lend one of my Hilles or original ID tents to them.

John Davies, the owner of "Mountain Magic" in Surrey, BC, told me of a tent that he and a couple of other independent shops have devised and had made here in Vancouver. It weighs under six lbs. and is large enough for a couple or a hunter and his gear and is a dull grey in colour.

I asked him to mail me one, it came this morning and I erected it on my lawn. I am quite impressed, it will handle some snow and is freestanding and is a decent little rig for most uses. Although made here, the sale price is $120.00 Cdn. plus taxes.......the Asians can't beat that and I am going to buy 2-3 more for stashing in certain favourite hunting spots each season, just a way to save pack-in weight and still have a decent shelter for an old pha*t like me!

John may be getting more of these and I can PM his contact info. to anyone interested, he is an outstanding guy to deal with and has interesting tales to tell of climbing in  Patagonia and "Darkest Africer, old top"!

7:37 p.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

I note in the fine print that, as usual for the top-quality tents, a number of the tents (the eVent ones in particular) are not for sale in Calif, NY, a bunch of other states, and (gasp!!) Canada. It's the fire regulation thing. We can't buy Hillebergs in Calif either (go out of state or use roundabout routing).

12:50 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
871 forum posts

The fire retardant issue is keeping a number of tents off the market here. In the case of ID single wall tents, we can get them here in Washington, but you can't get them in Vancouver.  Because they don't have the fire retardant added to the fabric, ID's tents breathe better than the later Toddtex tents with retardant. We can get Hillebergs here in Washington, but can't get Fjallraven tents in Canada, where Fjallraven has an importer.

2:57 p.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
53 reviewer rep
135 forum posts

Now I want to cry, I just get a south col 1. 

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply