DANA DESIGN beavertail

7:53 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

I consider myself half-way to being an expert on Dana Design packs, but I've never owned or used a Beavertail attachment accessory.  I'm not ashamed to admit that this thing has me pretty well stumped.  Luckily, I save a lot of photos of packs for a some-day blog I'll probably never start.  I'm 95% sure I have the side straps connected correctly, but I'm a bit confused about how the bottom connects to the pack.  I'm right around 75% sure I know how it works, and the other 25% might be from trying to connect a newer Beavertail to an older pack.  It's unfortunate that Fastex changed part of its buckles several times, and then more confusion is added by all the propriety versions of the Fastex buckles.  So, I either am not connecting this thing correctly at the bottom, or it is as simple as needing to finder an older version of a 1" Fastex buckle.

My request is:  does anyone have the directions from the Beavertail scanned and available for sharing?  It came clasped on a big wall card, and I've seen the directions on the back of it in a photo taken at a distance.  Or, could someone take a picture or two of their Beavertail attached to their pack?  And for the heck of it, how about a photo or two of it holding something, like a snowboard or a Monet?

Any help is much appreciated.

6:02 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

help, PLEASE!  This is driving me crazy.

9:07 a.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Wish I could help, alas, I am knowledgeless on the particulars of Dana designs packs

9:50 a.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Doesn't Bill have one of these?

7:46 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

This shows the correct "position 1" Beavertail clipping on a Terraplane. The Astralplane has an additional set of tensioning straps -


DanaBeaverTailIndx.jpg

The marked clips 1, 2, and 3 on the right of the image are male clips to go into the female clips on the tightening straps. The corresponding clips on the left of the image are female. Clip 1 is unclipped here, and works for a shovel (tuck clips #1 around the shovel handle and clip the male (right) and female (left) together. It could be clipped where #2 is clipped for a fatter load with #2 clipped where #3 is. The left side female clips on the Beavertail are clipped into the corresponding male clips on the tensioning straps on the left side of the pack.  #4 is the bottom clip and is fastened in the upper (female) of the sleeping bag/foam pad clips, with the strap (male clip) on the sleeping bag/foam pad strap clipped into the second (female) clip on the Beavertail.

8:50 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

THANKS A LOT.  That's how I had it lined up, but since Dana switched buckle designs at least a few times, I was having problems clicking in.  My Beavertail has 1" "Big Dog" clips up the sides and then these 1/2" or 3/4" "Stealth" clips on the bottom to hook into the sleeping pad straps.  They're both National Molding designs.  Unfortunately, those Stealth clips don't fit into all the other National Molding clips of the same size.  I really don't want to take a Dremel tool to the center prongs (that's where they don't match up), but it might be unavoidable.

Truly appreciate the photo and explanation.

What are the feeds for next to the bottom two clips on the Beavertail?  The two things situated between the buckles?

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: Cold weather sleeping bags... Newer: Amazing Deal on S&C! MH Skyledge 2P, 3+
All forums: Older: Late 90's Steep Tech Ski Mountaineering Suit (Red) Newer: "Where are they now?" What happened to the hiking forums from the 90's?