custom chacos

5:52 p.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

to the extent you want to customize, chaco has upgraded the website for choosing your own colors, soles, details.  a very nice variety of webbing choices that you wouldn't find in stores.  also, though the company moved regular production overseas, it appears the custom sandals are made in michigan - if that's something you care about.

i noodled with it, and it is a pretty cool site.  what i could not do is customize a pair with the sticky 'pro' sole, which i prefer for being in the water on wet rocks.  trying to figure out if they would do that via phone....

www.mychacos.com

7:16 p.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Love my black chaco flips

9:53 p.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

some jobs stay but more jobs go,,,, don't buy from them

6:52 a.m. on March 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I got a pair of the original USA production, after I got to the point of loathing my Teva's. Velcro and sand were not compatible.

I have the Chaco's with the toe-loop. Once I dialed-in the proper fit / adjustment ( not as simple as first thought)' I was good to go for many, many miles.

Sturdy and comfortable. Utilitarian.

~ r2 ~

3:48 p.m. on March 22, 2012 (EDT)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

i made the comment about 'made in the USA' because some people care about that - to be clear, i don't.  my experience with chaco has been uniformly excellent; one pair was made before manufacturing went overseas (chaco Z-1 with sticky water sole), and the other was a custom pair of Z-2 sandals with the sticky, floor-marking sole intended for water use (ordered via the chaco repair site, made in the USA).  both pair have been supportive, highly durable, and excellent in and out of water.  the primary downside for me has been that they are fairly heavy for a sandal. 

6:57 a.m. on March 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Never really compared, weight-wise, with my old, dreadful Tevas ... but, yeah ... iI reckon they are on the heavier side. Vibram soles? Although, if one looks carefully at the sole construction, the Vibram itself is fairly thin, and the rest of the footbed is very thick ( rubber?).

I've worn mine to the point where The Vibram sole is starting to wear down. Like I mentioned -- many, many miles.

I have learned (the hard way) -- not good to wear them while riding a bike.

With a recently diagnosed torn meniscus, my running days are probably over. Bike-riding, off all sorts, is in my future.

I'm OK with that.

~ r2 ~

10:30 p.m. on March 24, 2012 (EDT)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

The footbed/midsole is polyurethane. Denser, firmer, and more durable than Eva (which is what Teva and keen use for the midsole). Chaco will repair/resolve too....

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply