Crispi Boots, AVOID AT ALL COSTS! review, terrible experience

3:31 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hello, wanted to post a warning to all about these boots.  I was given a pair at Christmas for a gift, and thought they were beautiful looking boots.  My Aunt who is from Germany, sent them to me.  I am an avid backpacker/long distance hiker and was more excited by the looks of these than any other footware I have owned.  But I have been so badly dissapointed.  Within the first two weeks of owning (putting less than 15 miles on them) the right sole was becoming detached from the shoe.  So, they were unwearable.  The rubber sole was flapping in the breeze.  On the other foot you could see it was starting to come detached as well.  I've never had any experience like this before with any boot/trail shoe I have ever owned, especially after just a couple hikes.  I emailed Crispi in Italy, which was just a complete disaster.  Just getting someone to respond to me was next to impossible.  After that, I finally called them to voice my displeasure.  Well, that went no better, and I was "disconnected" (after being put on hold about 4 times for a total of 15 or so minutes.  Not cool when you're making Intn'l calls.  I called back, same damn thing.  So, I sat on it for the rest of the week/weekend.  Tried them again the following week, and finally got someone to tell me I had to mail them so they could "find zee problem".  Great, I live in California..how much is this gonna cost me?  Well, it cost me 63 dollars.  That was 2 and a half months ago.  Have I heard anything?  Nope!  Have they responded to me? Nope.  Finally, I got fed up with getting nothing and found a U.S. number for some guy/po box distributor in Oregon.  Emailed him.  Resolution?  No, nothing.  His response "I emailed Italy and they dont have your box, so there is nothing we can do.  Sorry"  Um, so what about me and my 350 dollar boots?   SORRY.   I'm fuming, just fuming.  I really hope this might dissuade you guys from buying from them.  If this is the service, don't take the risk.  For this much money, why would you do it?  There is no North American representation, there are no resolutions to your problems, you are just Sh*t out of Luck.  Why gamble when you can buy quality footware that is guaranteed, that real people stand behind.  Where you can get answers, help, and people to fix problems.  CRISPI IS CROOKED.  THEY ARE A SCAM.  don't roll the dice. 

4:27 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Especially after reading this, I will definitely stay with the big brands. Sportiva, Scarpa, Garmont, Asolo. A lot to be said for tried and true.

5:05 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I recently tried putting on my boots that were outside the tent, in the snow, for the night.  crispy

3:15 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Salomon, Hanwag, Vasque, Zamberlan... Actually, aren't they all made somewhere else?

Probably better to go with a store that has a warranty rather than rely on a boot manufacturer's warranty.

But thanks for the heads up on Crispi. They're also sold on backcountry.com, by the way, or you could call:

http://www.crispiusa.com/

3:23 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Scarpas are still made in Italy:

007.jpg

They do outsource some of their lighter weight boots/shoes but from a convo that I had with them they are slowly working at getting all of their models back to being manufactured in Italy. 

I was actually looking into Crispi boots sometime back(Granite & Super Granite.)

5:44 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

What I want to know, is what boot manuf. in their right mind would name their company Crispi? Makes my mouth water for a crispy cream doughnut.

11:33 a.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Peter, the sick part is I did email that crispiusa website you posted, and called him after noone in Italy would get back to me, or confirm they were going to fix, replace, or even send MY boots back.  They just stopped responding to me.  That's the guy in Bend, Oregon with a P.O box.  He said "i won the us distribution" and am the sole distributor of crispi here.  Won the distribution?  Is it a raffle or something?  He is the one who told me "I emailed Italy and there is nothing we can do.  Sorry."  Your boots fall apart after 3 hikes, I have to send them to Italy for almost 70 dollars, and then thats it.  Vanish.  Thanks for the money, and thanks for sending the boots back.  Now we can resell them!!

What the hell, it's so frustrating to be so S.O.L.  How a company can just do that to someone, and rob them like this.  There is no recourse, nowhere to complain, nowhere that cares, or anyone with Crispi that has any care or urgency.  Its not that I'm not getting my boots fixed, or replaced.  I can't even get someone to talk to me, or to send me my boots back!  The boots that are 350 dollar piles of garbage.  They just dont even care.  Just don't order their product, I really stress that to anyone thinking about it.  My only recourse is to try to tell anyone thinking about ordering them.

12:02 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Dude cut your losses and run. Thanks for the heads up though, now we know not order them pieces of S....

8:57 a.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Yup, birdblue. Maybe your aunt could take them back to where she bought them. The store might have a better policy.

While they might not respond to your specific inquiry, Crispi might also react to complaints about their local distributors. One complaint here will cost them an awful lot of revenue, and bad distributors are bad business.

But like I said, thanks for the 'heads up'.

10:07 a.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
600 forum posts

Birdblue- this makes me frustrated just reading what happened to you. I can't imagine how angry you are. I think you're doing the right thing though in letting others know about your situation. Maybe even send them an email saying that you are putting your experiece with their company out there for everyone to see. Hope this works out for you, keep us updated.

10:47 a.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Yeah.....or get all your friends to bombard them with hate mail for what they did and ther lack of concern about your situation. I know they were a gift, and they were purchased outside the country....perhaps find where your Aunt bought them> Contact them? Without the boots now, this may be harder but it is one more idea. Good luck.

11:20 a.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hey Birdblue. I  echo the sentiment above.  There is nothing worse than having a product that is not backed up by the manufacture.  It is suggested that you put the word out.  I most certainly would do that .  Use your anger in a constructive manner and start doing thorough articulate, adult, intelligent reviews.  I would start by doing a formal review at Trailspace and then do them at every online venue that is available to you.  Do the review differently at each site so that when they come up on a Google search they are not carbon copies of each other.  With all the anger your feeling start a You Tube campaign in which you have a burning of the shoes turning them to “Crispi critters“.  Invite others to share in the glory of your mission against Crispi.  Every time you do a review mail the address to Crispi and remind then of there past grievances and sins against you and of your continuing intentions.  Inform them that you will not stop unless and until they make things right.  Inform them that this is now more than just a pair of boots.  I would guess that they are expecting you to just fall by the way side.  One guy can make a huge dent in a company like this in this day and age of the web.  David’s sling shot has turned can now be turned into a rocket launcher as compared to day's past when there was no recourse except letters and a phone call.  I would guess if you Hammer them from all sides on the net relentlessly you very well might get a satisfactory result. And then after all of the effort that you put in you might even get an extra pair of boots for all the hassle they've caused you.  Embrace all with open arms that has had any similar bad experiences with Crispi and invite them to share and bask in the glory of the mission.  Just as companies should be rewarded for good behavior towards customers so should the companies who treat customers badly be thrashed accordingly. Let the pummeling begin.  Feel free to send this post to them as a forewarning of things yet to come.  Be relentless my friend and I would guess that you will have a good outcome.

12:58 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Sorry about this happening to you. I would try and contact the store your aunt got the boots from and explain what happened.Even to your aunt to see if theirs something that store can do. Next if it were me do as Apeman described about reviews and contact the US distributer that you have placed reviews.I would also place the warning at other outdoor websites to really make your point. Also a youtube point also of what happened. Thank you about the warning.

1:36 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hey guys, I feel ten times better just reading your responses.  I think it was therapeutic just to vent, and get the pure, boiling rage out of me over this.  I really appreciate all of your responses/feedback.  It has definitely calmed me down a lot.

1:42 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

birdblue said:

Hey guys, I feel ten times better just reading your responses.  I think it was therapeutic just to vent, and get the pure, boiling rage out of me over this.  I really appreciate all of your responses/feedback.  It has definitely calmed me down a lot.

Hey birdblue, I actually appreciate you giving us a heads-up on this manufacturer. 

I was seriously contemplating purchasing the Granite:

http://www.crispiusa.com/granite-htg-abss-dtl.html

Thanks for saving me some coin and a blown gasket. 

2:42 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I am sorry of what happen to you, Zamberlans are made in italy, but I am not sure about any boot vibram soles, I know that there is a plant in China.  I feel the problem is with many companies in italy and I don't understand why?  I have sent emails to Zamberlan, talk over the phone and went in person to San Diego office.  I would agree to buy from the big box store, I used REI, I am very happy with the boots that I own from this company, but at the same time they are there own worst enemy when it comes to customer concerns.  If you give feedback to the place of purchase this maybe better then contacting the company itself, for me I will contact REI about the issue and will post it when I do my review.

5:53 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
512 forum posts

I have been seeing the Crispi brand increasingly advertised lately especially in well known magazines which cater to this particular "target audience".  There are more well known, time tested, field tested manufacturers of boots (a myriad of them to say the least) out there that can provide a reliable well fitting boot and have the customer service to back them up.  I will steer clear of the Crispi brand for sure.  I have good luck with Asolo, Zamberlan, Merrell and Salewa boots/shoes.  I'm not promoting those brands, they just seem to fit my feet and I don't have any issues with them falling apart when I expect them to perform.

2:01 a.m. on June 6, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey Birdblue, not cool about your Crispis. I do a lot of ice climbing and am a spokesman for a shop up in the Midwest who just started carrying Crispi.

I went on a 10 day ice climbing trip with my new pair of Crispi Breithorns and I hate to say it to you, but right out of the box these are the best boots I've ever worn - lighter and warmer than my Sportivas. 

I've had pretty good dialogue with Miles the owner of the USA distribution the last couple months, which is the guy I think you are talking about in Oregon. 

I'd like to help you out and get this resolved b/c I totally get why you are enraged. I'd be super pissed if my $400 boots were shipped and lost b/c of a manufacturer's defect.

Everyone at the shop here is stoked on them, as am I, and I'd hate to see a small specialty shop like this guy take a hit for one bad incident. So, lets get it figured out so we can get a happy conclusion to this.

I've met a couple of the Reps, our Midwest guy Josh is really good people, and Zach who does the Rockies was super knowledgable - both really passionate about the line and I know they would want to help this situation out.

Will you send me a PM with name, style of boot, size, email, and address to where you shipped the boots back to in Italy and I will pass it on to someone that can hopefully help you.

Also did you get a Return Authorization number from Crispi in Italy to send back your boots when you spoke with them? Further, what did the tracking information say when you checked it?

The tracking information should let you know who signed for the package and where it landed exactly, which could be super helpful in locating the boots. I've had to track down packages in the past this way that get sent overseas. These are going to be the first questions that are asked so we might as well nip them in the bud.

Without an RA# and some tracking info it might be tough.

Hope to help out a fellow outdoorsman, God knows I've received some over the years. Time to pay it forward.

You can PM me or email me at sonnyfletcher39@gmail.com

Later bub

11:38 a.m. on August 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I hope Sonny F could help you out. I've been walking almost nonstop in my Crispi boots for three years. Of all tried out shoes and boots (an expensive affair) they have been the saviour for my slightly damaged feet. I've even partied in them. They are great in winter time (which we do have with snow and cold) and also work downtown Tokyo in summertime. I bought them for touring the alps but have ended up with almost everyday use out of necessity. Actually it is my second pair because the first also had problems with the sole becoming detached (after used them for a year). But Crispi sent me a new pair that works great. No problems and they're great!

1:06 p.m. on August 20, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts

A couple of lessons here for any incident of new gear failing -

1. contact the store first, then distributor/importer, then manufacturer

2. Get an RMA/RA (that's a Return Materials Authorization number). Put it prominently on the package you use to return the item, plus on a sheet of paper in the package that also includes the delivery address and your return address (I put such a sheet in my checked luggage when flying, traveling on train or bus, complete with an itinerary - never lost anything since I started doing this). If possible, get the manufacturer, distributor/importer, or store to send you a return package.

3. When you take it to the US Post Office, UPS, FedEx, or whatever shipper, be sure to get a tracking number and include a delivery confirmation, including having the package signed for. Send the intended recipient the tracking number as well.

4. Also try to get the place you are sending the gear to send you a confirming email acknowledging the contact, RMA, and that they know you are sending it.

This all sounds complicated and a lot of bother, but it is well worth it. A couple of anecdotes on how I learned to do all this:

My son was going to join us for a family ski trip following a conference he was attending. To avoid carrying his business stuff (computer, presentation papers, etc) and his ski clothing and boots, he shipped the ski gear to us via FedEx (we had his skis at our house). The ski gear did not arrive on the scheduled day, and the tracking indicated that nothing had happened after the second day. Calls to FedEx indicated there had been a major storm over the Midwest, causing a delay - "It should be there tomorrow, sorry for the delay". A week later, no package. Then we received a call that a possible package was in Salt Lake (FedEx center for "lost" packages). The outside label had vanished, so they had opened the package and found the detailed itinerary sheet inside. The gear was delivered at 7AM the next morning. And FedEx paid for the repair of the zipper and lock they had to break to get into the package to identify it. (the gear was in a duffel inside a box).

Another incident involved a duffel full of gear as well. This time, we were shipping via UPS. A week after handing it to UPS, the empty box appeared on our doorstep. A few days later, the duffel, with its baggage tag, appeared on our doorstep as well. Since we wanted to get the duffel to our son, I headed back to UPS, who were nice enough package it for us and to ship it "next day" to him at no additional cost.

Another incident happened on a climbing expedition to Alaska (actually, two parallel incidents). Two of our party's gear bags did not arrive in Anchorage (different origins for their flights). Traces were initiated for both. One, which had lost its official check-in baggage tag, arrived the next day, thanks to my partner's itinerary sheet in the top of the gear bag (accessible via TSA lock). The other (with no itinerary sheet inside) never arrived, resulting in an expensive shopping trip to Alaska Mountaineering (great shop on Northern Lights Blvd, diagonally across from the REI), though the airline did a partial reimbursement (there is a limit on how much they pay for a lost bag).

11:28 a.m. on September 10, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

WOW.

I have had great luck with my crispi boots, I have worn and worn them with no sign of failure or wear.

I would be very frustrated also! You spend that much on a boot you expect a LOT, and good service.

Let us know of this ever works out.

Mike

12:04 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

Whether it's good or bad, please consider sharing your gear experiences in a review on the site.

It's very helpful for readers to read your impressions of a piece of gear they're considering on its appropriate product page.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/crispi/

Thanks!

1:04 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

Negative online coments work!  I have posted (not here) negative comments on customer service and product quality online.  Twice the company contacted me to ask what they could do to get me to change my online comments.  I ended up satisfied and adjusted my online commentary.

2:48 p.m. on September 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Well, Birdblue never responded to my request to help him, so either he never got an RMA # from Crispi and just blindly mailed his boots without a confirmation, or some other strange scenario played out. Regardless, I no longer live in the Midwest and have since moved for a new job in the outdoor industry, so my affiliation with the shop carrying Crispi is not as local as it was when I offered to help Bluebird - sorry Bluebird but that ship has sailed. 

Next time include all the relevant information of your situation and evaluate what you may have done wrong before posting negativity in the heat of the moment. Take what Bill S wrote and apply that. Frustration is understandable, but keep in mind that you are messing with the small shop owner's livelihood. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say it was inadvertent, but your lack of response to my offer to help doesn't show well on your part.

3:34 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

@ Bill S - you make a great point with regard to returns.  I am the recently

appointed rep agency for CA, HI, NV for Crispi USA.  

@ireviewgear - thank you for your support.  I have over 200 trail miles on the Nevada and untold casual, work and sedate trail miles on my ISY's. 

I concur, they're great shoes... and I say that knowing that a) I had to pay for my shoes, they weren't free.  b) I wear them with the intent of understanding the technology, comfort and durability of the products I represent.  c) knowing that some people might be skeptical since I sell them.

I've contacted Bluebird under separate cover requesting he forward all the info he has for the return to Italy.  In a perfect world, they will have receipt of them and make good to the US Distributor he spoke of in Bend, OR.  From there, we should be able to resolve the issue and solve what happened with this particular pair.

Crispi has been around since 1975.  You don't grow to a major European brand that makes products like I personally own by making a poor product.  Rather the opposite.  I'll keep you all posted.

Steppin'Outside in Reno, NV at the moment... JD

image.jpg

10:01 p.m. on December 23, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi all I actually had the opposite experience and wanted to share it, for balance. Got a pair of Wild GTX directly from crispi USA that were 25% discounted. Got them promptly. They were too small so I changed for a size larger. These were too big. Guys you know what it is with a boot that's literally your life/limb out there at 10,000 ft on a frozen slope. They have to fit. Spoke directly with the top guy, he changed them again for the middle size, no questions asked. Best customer service ever. I had to pay nothing. Plus best winter boots I've had, and here in CO I put them through the ringer 4-5 months a year. My $0.02 AJ

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply