8:55 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Who else thinks they're a rip off?

5:37 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

i don't.  i have very flat feet and use doctor-made custom orthotics but used superfeet (green) for a couple of years before i started w/orthotics to limit the damage to my knees.  my son has the same ugly feet but still growing, so he uses superfeet (blue) in every pair of athletic shoes he wears.  they have largely resolved the pain he used to get in his shins, legs, knees. 

i'm sure there are other options that are good, and superfeet are kind of pricy because they are probably the market leader in replacement insoles.  however, given how well they work, at least for some people, it's hard for me to say they are a "rip off."

you want to blame someone for superfeet? look to the boot manufacturers and the the useless stock insoles they put in a lot of trail and hiking shoes.     

7:06 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

I personally can't use the generic footbeds that come with new footwear, I think they are junk.

I used Superfeet Green's for a couple of years and have recently switched to the Blue's. I have a pair of Blues in my newer Alico Summits, and a pair in my old Scarpa's.

After a lot of miles my feet feel much better with Superfeet than they did when I was using cheaper footbeds like the various gels or Dr. Scholls. I tried a couple of the better footbeds sold at my local shoe store but none of them lasted as long or fit as good as the Superfeet.

I think the Superfeet are well designed, have very good heel lock & arch contour, and are durable. They also have a money back guarantee if you try them and don't like them.

No, I don't think they are a rip off (at least not for me), even though you can buy 2 or 3 pair of cheaper ones for the price of Superfeet. To me the cheap ones are more of a rip off.

I'm also planning to try the Montrail mold-able footbeds and see how I like that route.

Mike G.

7:14 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

I have to agree about stock insoles. Total junk, in every pair of boots I've ever owned.

7:33 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I stopped wearing boots. I'm back into shoes. Lucky I guess.

8:00 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

I can't handle tennies on our volcanos. The sharps kill my feet.

10:44 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

Not a rip off in my world.

12:37 a.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Not a rip off at all. Fixed problems I have had with my boot insoles completely. Ended heel issues and totally eliminated the movement issues I had in my Keens. Kept my feet happy all the way to Everest Base Camp.

12:21 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

try it barefoot then and post your thoughts after that

12:51 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

I don't think their a waste of money.I use them and have used them in the past. They provided better protection than the original inserts in my boots.They also kept my foot well stabilized for better traction.

8:34 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,055 forum posts

I've met a lot of folks that swear by aftermarket insoles.  Probably an equal number that swear at aftermarket insoles.  One thing to be aware of is the volume they take up in shoes.  If you put a high-volume insole in a shoe that fits, you may have a great footbed in a shoe that's now .5 or 1 size too small. In years of selling shoes, I've seen some odd combinations too - one guy had the lowest volume foot I'd ever seen, and wore a mens 9.  The combination that ended up working was a pair of superfeet ON TOP of the factory insole in a size 10.5.  To each foot, it's own.

8:51 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Seth said:

I've met a lot of folks that swear by aftermarket insoles.  Probably an equal number that swear at aftermarket insoles.  One thing to be aware of is the volume they take up in shoes.  If you put a high-volume insole in a shoe that fits, you may have a great footbed in a shoe that's now .5 or 1 size too small. In years of selling shoes, I've seen some odd combinations too - one guy had the lowest volume foot I'd ever seen, and wore a mens 9.  The combination that ended up working was a pair of superfeet ON TOP of the factory insole in a size 10.5.  To each foot, it's own.

Volume is the reason I switched from the higher volume SF Greens to the lower volume SF Blues. I changed sock type, plus I added 3/16" closed cell foam under my Superfeet footbeds for a slightly softer strike.

10:05 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

Seth makes an excellent point.  when i try on shoes (other than water shoes and fivefingers), i bring the orthotics and make sure they fit in the shoes.  anyone who uses an aftermarket insole should do the same thing, make sure it fits and feels good with the particular shoe. 

10:07 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

Seth makes an excellent point.  when i try on shoes (other than water shoes and fivefingers), i bring the orthotics and make sure they fit in the shoes.  anyone who uses an aftermarket insole should do the same thing, make sure it fits and feels good with the particular shoe. 

To add to this also wear whatever sock set-up(with liners if you use them) when you try on new footwear and do it towards the evening after you have been on your feet for the day.

This will compensate for your feet swelling while on trail. 

11:21 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I just got the greens. My customers love it because it helps when they have arch fitting problem. I also have flat feet and cant wait to try em out for real.

9:34 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I have a pair made by Heat Factory under license from Superfeet. They work great and are very comfortable and I have flat feet so a good insole is important. Mine take either a small removeable foam pad under the ball of the foot or a small chemical heat pack. I have used mine in ski boots.

7:31 a.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
143 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

I've used them for years in xc ski, mountaineering, and hiking boots.  I use blue, green, and orange in different boots.  Seth hit the bullseye with volume.  Volume reduction is a benefit for me.  Superfeet may be pricey but, for me, they are very much worth the price.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply