keen hydro guides

8:21 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,703 reviewer rep
1,333 forum posts

i do a fair bit of canoeing and have really liked these shoes in the canoe.  the big keen water shoe advantage is the toe protection - most other water shoes don't even come close.  the main keen downside, for me, has been that your feet tend to stay damp and feel pretty macerated because they are so enclosed.  these really did a great job solving that issue for me.  i am a little surprised that they do not seem to have caught on as much as i expected they would, but maybe that's just my perception.  

any thoughts?

8:35 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I looked at these and ended up going with the McKenzie. Gotta say I like my Teva Omniums more though. 

I've had them for 3yrs and they are still alive.

Hmmm, maybe its time for a review. :)

8:57 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

I looked at these for kayaking.....appears the rock and sand in the footbed problem is not solved with these. I am looking to go five-finger myself.

9:43 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

My water solution was different... but I need them for crossing creeks while backpacking, not for general "water sports" use like canoeing.  Last summer I used these with reasonable success: http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11414979&cp=2674218&parentPage=family  

And they only cost $10 :).

They also doubled as camp slippers so I could avoid tromping the vegetation with my hiking boots while in camp.

These aren't good for prolonged use, though - they have the issue the OP described, where they hold water, keeping the feet damp.

9:50 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
9:58 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Those look pretty good......may be to wide a mesh?

10:03 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The mesh looks to be comparable to my McKenzies. If that is the case then they should work fairly well. 

11:05 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

I kayak barefoot half the year. Use Chota boots the rest of the time. I have three pairs of Keens... can't say as I like any of 'em much.

11:37 a.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
2,703 reviewer rep
1,333 forum posts

i don't like the closed shoes for being in the water b/c my feet stay wet - to me, this is an eternal puzzle.  closed shoes do well keeping grit out, but your feet end up feeling like trench foot; open sandals collect stones and grit.  with open sandals, swishing them in the water clears stones pretty quickly.  when i was a kid, i used to buy a pair of chuck taylors, cut a few extra holes in the sides for drainage, used them for canoing and sailing, and threw them out at the end of the summer.  wet canvas tore my feet up pretty badly, and they smelled like something died in them. 

because they are so thin, fivefingers dry a little faster than some other closed shoes - but not nearly as well as these keens or open sandals like chacos or tevas.  they are a little prone to chafing at a few points when they're wet. 

12:14 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,097 forum posts

leadbelly I am an open toe sandle person also. Rather dip my foot in water to get rid of sand dirt and stones. I don't like wet material staying on my feet all day. Rather have them air dry when thery can.

1:22 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
2,703 reviewer rep
1,333 forum posts

should add - i think the hydro guides are made kind of loose so you can wear them with a neoprene sock.  hiking in a neoprene sock is a bad idea, but if you're in the water, you avoid sand/mud directly against your foot.  

4:47 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

The omniums from Teva are fantastic. If you can get NOS Teva Sunkosi 2 pros, they are even more stable on the foot and dry out quickly. Only fine grain sand can really get inside the mesh. The dole drains and breathes, leaving your feet less soggy.

5:06 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Personally, from the experience I have had with Keen I wouldn't spend another dime on any of their products.

Oregon PCT-Has the waterproof characteristic of a sandle. Oh and the lugs pop off at random. Keen refers to them as a backpacking boot(but they have as much flex as a tennis shoe?)

Pyrenees- Sweat inducing incinerators.

Newport H2- I guess I bought them because everyone else has them. Not really impressed.

McKenzies- Believe it or not I just gave them away. They looked brand new..

I think Keen makes complete garbage from my experiences above. 4 products and they all weren't worth the gas I used to get to the outfitter to make the purchase let alone the cost of the product.

I do like their socks though(or sox as they refer to them.)

5:46 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

I have a love/hate relationship with my Keen Targhee boots.  Yes, the soles did start separating shortly after I started using them.  But the separation hasn't spread :) so the boots are still usable (assuming I don't step in any puddles). 

The kicker is they are not the most, but one of the most comfortable hiking boots I've had.

I probably wouldn't buy another pair either, simply because I am a stickler for quality workmanship.

8:29 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

NO -- I cannot add a comment, regarding the aforementioned Keens.   Sorry.   Haven't tried 'em.

Call me "old school" ... but, the ever-reliable Sperry Top-Siders (or other-branded Portsiders, etc.) work incredibly well, for almost ANY endeavor in-or-around water ... be it fresh-water, salt-water.

PLUS-- You won't look like a dork  or a dweeb (as when wearing some of the much-ballyhoo'd and over-hyped 'technical footwear' that is bandied-about so much these days).

I've lived along the Chesapeake Bay, the Atlantic Ocean, Delaware Bay, Long Island Sound, Peconic Bay, Lake Monticello, various rivers, and-so-forth ... almost my entire life.   Can't remember when I DID NOT have a pair.

Owned and operated canoes, kayaks, sailboats, power-boats.   De rigeur / default footwear is a pair of these versatile shoes.

Street-wear ... trail walking ... and, definitely, aboard boats of all kinds.

Boatyard workers, sailors, winos, millionaire yacht-owners, little kids, geezers, ....   All wear these 'round these parts.

They last a loooong time.   Meant to be worn in wet and damp situations, while providing superb traction.   The specially-treated leather is remarkable in enduring countless saturations.

Takes a licking ... and, keeps on ticking.

A great look, too.   What with a pair of jeans or khakis, a sweater or blazer or sport-jacket ... you look "cool" and "proper" ... almost, wherever you go.

Classic.   Like the venerable Bass "Weejuns".

Sorry to diverge from the OP.   Couldn't resist the opportunity.   OK for another opinion ....   Right?

~ r2 ~

frugal dude

8:33 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

BTW -- Kudos to Rick-Pittsburgh, for his frank opinions regarding his experience(s) with Keen.

Don't see much of that these days, 'round here.

~ r2 ~

9:09 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

... frank opinions regarding his experience(s) ..

Don't see much of that these days, 'round here.

<insert image of man biting tongue>

9:27 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol. I'm personally just not a fan of Keens but although they may be great for others.

9:28 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Look what the cat dragged in......I just used some keens that I bought a few years back for hanging round camp....don't even know what they are...for my paddle today. They really were the ticket...no sand/gravel and pretty comfortable. They sort of look like gym slippers, to tell you the truth.

9:40 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

My worry with Five Fingers is that since each individual toe is isolated ya may have to worry a lil more about playing soccer to a rock ya may not see under the waters surface.

I think the risk of a broken toe is a bit higher with footwear of this type.

11:19 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

<insert image of man biting tongue>

There are those that have perfected the use of euphemisms. 

~ r2 ~

1:21 a.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

a hybrid shoe that is not liked by either side of the consumer from the sides of its' hybridazation

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply