Klattermusen of Sweden...

4:42 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I received an email back from Hille in regards to the mix up in the printed instructions with the Soulo.

Well when I initially sent a message to Petra Hilleberg I asked about the shell the gentleman was wearing in the video. It caught my eye.

Ends up it is from a Swedish company located by Hilleberg called Klattermusen which has their HQ located close to Hillebergs's.

Here is a link:

http://www.klattermusen.se/start_EN.php?lang=EN

Not only do they make outerwear but they also make packs, gaiters, and a few other items. 

Interesting designs... I am really diggin their gaiters.

Anyone familiar with them?

6:38 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

nice jacket

7:34 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Me and my wife both have their extremely light downjacket LIV. It is just 300 grams of pure warmth, always with us on tours and used when stopping to eat f.ex. We are very satisfied with the jackets!

7:43 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

There are some interesting looking products there. Really with we had some of these European companies, that look like they are making amazing stuff, available to North America!

12:37 a.m. on April 27, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

I've been lusting after Klattermusen offerings for a few years now...their Mithril Kelvar Softshell Jacket is on the top of my "want" list, as is their Mithril Kelvar Trousers. I believe these garments to be some of the most sustainable options offered on the commercial market. Their construction affords many years of hard wear, and they are designed to excel in many conditions. It is quite unfortunate they don't have US representation...

10:55 a.m. on April 27, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
890 forum posts

We are unfortunately absent many good European products, and even European companies that market here, don't distribute some of the best gear. Fjallraven is a company that only has a toe hold here, but they also make great gear.

11:06 a.m. on April 27, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

The fact that they have a product line named "Mithril" makes my day :)

Their products look great, as far as one could tell from a website and not in person. 

12:52 p.m. on April 27, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I really wish at times that alot of Euro companies would make their way into the states. I am really interested in their products. I mean granted I have a bunch of MH, OR, and other various gear from various manufacturers but I personally like "quality" options.

This is one of those times. I sometimes wonder if some of the larger companies here have a bit of leverage in regards to what gets over here.

I mean let's say Euro company makes its presence here and the products are far above and beyond what their rivals are producing and they catch on. This may cuse the companies that are here already to take a hit in generated revenue.

Hmmm...

Anywho, I've sent an email to Klattermusen to see what the deal is as far as getting some of their gear. I will chime back in when I get a response.

I remember Bill S commenting that Hilleberg couldn't either be sold in Cali, or in certain vicinities of Cali due to fire code regulations or something to that extent.

What a bummer. I am curious as to why we can't get our paws on alot of these products. I personally believe that there is definitely a market for it here.

11:14 a.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I have a Klattermusen Brede (the toughest of their models). It HAD a Silva compass mounted on a small band on the handcuf. IT FELL OF SHORTLY after buying the jacket (after using the jacket about 20 min walking to work and back). I wrote to Klattermusen and sent some pics without any response.That being said I used this jacket for just over 1 year and it has prooved to be a very reliable hardshell. I am actually planning on buying a larger model (that would accomodate a thicker insulation). I payd about 600 euros for it and in the begining I was verry dissapointed whith the handcuff band and the compass falling off but I have yet to se a better jacket.

Klattermusen equipment is used by Arctic foxes during their Greenland adventure and many more. For me Lundhags or Fjallraven pants and a Klattermusen jacket would be the best bet. They are heavy (the jacket is some 900g/2lbs) but are not only one use item as the other ultralight gear that i tend to se.

Regards, Marian

2:15 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
389 forum posts

The backpacks are interesting.  I bet their ornateness gets a thumbed nose by the ultralighters.  Cool that they're heavy on the design, too.  Would expect no less from the Swedes.  Check out the Mjolner pack.  Lots going on there.  Use a twin belt like McHale does and a similar buckle.  A couple of the other packs look like their buckle systems are from the 70s with some tweaking.

3:08 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

pillowthread said:

It is quite unfortunate they don't have US representation...

I contacted Klattermusen about obtaining product here in the US. Their response was as follows:

"Everything can be solved. please mail to order@klattermusen.se for your inqueries"

3:46 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Zeno: The Mjolner is actually extremely light for the capacity, durability, and suspension it affords. (I always try to remember that UL is a philosophy, not a gear list. One can carry 45lbs and have such a load be squarely UL, given the size of the individual, the expected conditions, the length of the trip, the degree of risk one wants to assume...) I attribute this light weight to the use of those overlapping flaps as opposed to zippers, and just overall efficiency in design. Its construction, as is, also is much more "sustainable" than if employing a zipper. I also appreciate the twin belt system, and it would certainly be one of the reasons I might eventually purchase the pack...

Gonzan: That is good information to know! Thank you for your efforts!

4:19 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
389 forum posts

You're preaching to the choir, man.  I find those packs to be pretty darn sharp.  Wish I could see one and fit them.

8:39 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,013 forum posts

For anyone who has firsthand experience with Klattermusen gear, consider adding a review:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/klattermusen/

8:50 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

For anyone who has firsthand experience with Klattermusen gear, consider adding a review:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/klattermusen/

I for one would definitely be interested in seeing some reviews for these products. I am quite intrigued by them and would greatly appreciate a bit of feedback on them.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply