About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

2p tent for 6'4" man and two medium size dogs

12:31 a.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

I am looking for a 2 person tent 6 lbs total weight or less that will fit my 6' 4" length body and my 2 dogs at 50 lbs each.

In my younger years I went backpacking ( at least one 50 mile hike a year) and camping (probably about 10-12 outings a year) and am looking to get back into it. Any advice from people who have purchased tents would be great as the more I read reviews the more I find the measurements they put up are not interior space but pole to pole room.

12:32 a.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

Oh looking in the price range $300 usd or less

1:01 a.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

REI used gear sale

7:25 a.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

I'm not sure that a 2 man tent has enough room for you will also be under 6 lbs., but her goes:  Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2 5lbs 8oz, 4'10 x 7'6.  The 3 man version is 6lbs 3oz, 6' x 7'6.

Personally I would consider one of these Alps Mountaineering tents because they have thicker floors and would be less prone to puncture by canine claws.  Alps Mountaineering Extreme 5'2 x 7'8 6lb 8oz and Alps Mountaineering Hybrid CE 6lbs 5 oz. 5'3 x 7'7.

The tent weights are the "packed weight" for the Big Agnes and "total weight" for the Alps. 

10:13 a.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Many factors  go into choosing the right tent, size being one of them. I see climate being #1. Wind speed. rains, bugs, temps.....all have a big effect on which tent you might need. If you are in a very dry area some sort of floor-less tarp tent might work. Buggy but warm climates a 3 season tent with allot of mesh. Snow and cold a four season single wall tent. Many variables. Could you give more information? 

10:50 a.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hi  jchanman33 and welcome to Trailspace,

Ocala's suggestions look like they my fit the bill, but in your case since you need such a long tent, you might want to start by going to REI, Campmor and or any other stores in you area to interview tents. Depending upon the area and time of year (conditions) you will most likely want a tent which provides you space on either end of your sleeping bag so that it does not touch the sides of the tent body. That seems to be one of the problems with the newer tents in that they their so much smaller and lighter than the older bigger (longer) heavy tents of the past. As the price of tents has gone up and up over the past few years one of the things I would think about is checking out tents at the stores and then trying to find lightly used gear once you have narrowed down the model(s) that might work for you. If you buy used or "as new" that will open up a lot more models that might not have fit into your budget if your only considering buying new. You might also check out cheapandsteep.com as well as this site below. One of the options you might want to consider is a tee-pee or pyramid style tent such as the Sierra Designs Origami, Black Diamond Mega Light or the older Megamid, MSR Trekker, Mountain Hardwear Kiva. There are a number of other makers of Pyramid style tents and most all of them have clip in floors and clip in mesh bug interiors so that you can kinda customize them and by the specific options as need and as the pocket book allows. The pyramid style tents offer quite a bit more sq. footage per amount of weight in comparison to the standard tent. Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide.

http://www.geartrade.com/

2:39 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

The pricing may be a bit tough to meet.  Having said that, the MSR Hubba Hubba will fit two people your size with space left over at each end.  It has a footprint and overall volume of a rectangle with nearly verticle walls.

New this year is an additional, large vestibule called the Gear Shed that increases space considerably and can be easily removed.  A perfect place for your dogs:

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hubba-hubba/product

and

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/gear-shed/product

2:45 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

Thanks for the help guys, I live in North Dakota and the winters here are too cold to camp in at -60 deg f after the windchill. The summers here get 90's and I would do most my camping then but also in the fall and spring I like to go and the night time temps get in the 30s then, so maybe I want a 4 season tent. We do get a lot of wind here especially during storms cause the land is so flat there is little to stop the wind

Another problem is that it is a somewhat small town and I would like to see the tents in person, knowing from experience that some tents have interior space that is useless due to the pitch of the tent.

I think I may up my budget and make a road trip to a cabellas and rei that are 2 hours away. That way I know what I am getting and if the price is too much in store just buy it online when I get back.

Thanks for the thicker floor suggestion, really good idea, maybe wouldn't matter for the 10 or so mile hikes I plan to get back into it but eventually I want to try the pacific divide trail in it's entirety. That is where I gre up in Troutdale OR and camping in the NW was a lot better than anywhere else I have been.

Again TY for all the help, I am going shopping tommorow and will let you all know what tent I go with, maybe I can help other tall hikers out there make a similar decision...probably going to get a new sleeping bag too because the one I have is for car camping and my feet have to be all the way at the bootom for me to fit in it.

3:12 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Probably look at a 3 man tent for you the two dogs and some gear

8:59 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

I am thinking about getting the MSR Hoop http://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/hoop/, the reviews I found seem good but I can't find many of them. It is pretty big with 2 large vestibules. I found it online for $280 but I am hesitant to buy a tent online without eyes on and seeing/feeling the material.

MSR seems to have a good name for themselves for high quality tents, I am just curious if anyone has dealt with them and what you think about purchasing a tent online without ever seeing the model, and what if anything sounds good/bad about the specs on this tent.

Again thanks in advance for your help and advice already recieved, non of my friends are outdoors type peopl which is why I have gotten out of camping, but I decided to just go alone with my dogs for company because I love to hike and camp.

11:49 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

You may want to look at this tent Alps Mountaineering Chaos. Very similar to the MSR Hubba Hubba in construction.  I have the 3 man version and it is very roomy.  To accommodate your height just lay diagonally. The tent has very large gear pockets at either end and can be put up fly first if it's raining.       

12:13 a.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

MSR Hoop looks good

12:59 a.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts
9:21 a.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Looks like a great tent, but. I know the winds that you are talking about and I wouldn't pick a single hooped tent for those winds. I have a TNF Canyonlands and wouldn't trust it in sustained wind of that nature. Not that it wouldn't hold up, but I just wouldn't be 100% sure. I would look at something more designed like TNF Frog tents or a tunnel tent. Both designs are more secure in high winds. 

12:06 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

I think I may up my budget and make a road trip to a cabellas and rei that are 2 hours away. That way I know what I am getting and if the price is too much in store just buy it online when I get back.

There are several online companies that will allow you to return things with no questions asked. Backcountry.com and it's clearance sites, departmentofgoods.com and steepandcheap.com will take just about anything back.  I've used steepandcheap.com and returned things. 

I'm not sure about geartrade.com.  I think you would have to ask the seller before buying.  The seller backcountry on geartrade is backcountry.com and it's where they get rid of returns and open box stuff.

My advice would be to purchase several tents and study them at your leisure at your house then return the ones you don't want.

2:08 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
2:27 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,929 forum posts

Golite makes a tipi looking tent called the Shangri-la 5 that is extremely light and large enoungh for you and you dogs, at $264.

5 lbs 9 oz.

Shangri-La_5_Tent_Bundle_Bamboo.jpg

Also the Shangri-la 3 is big enough too at $199.99

4 lb 5 oz

Shangri-La_3_Tent_Bundle_Evergreen.jpg

I have used the second one the green one above. I am 6'7" tall.

www.golite.com

11:43 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

Ordered The hoop and footprint today, thanks for the review link family guy, even if it didn't work I easily found the review and it was very well done.

I well update you guys after my first outing in it, and write a good review ion this site after a few more trips are on it

10:43 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Callahan said:

Family Guy said:

Here is a review of the Hoop

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/MSR%20Hoop%20tent/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/ 

Link not work

Sorry about that.

I can't seem to get the link to work.  Go to www.backpackgeartest.org  and search MSR Hoop.

10:30 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts
April 20, 2014
Quick Reply