Nemo Losi or Hilleberg Allak?

7:51 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Both seem very nice.  I'm leaning towards the Hilleberg although all the little touches Nemo has come up with I like.  Anyone out there have either of these tents?  

8:26 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

I don't have either of these specific tents, But I have been very satisfied with all of my NEMO purchases thus far. If it were me, and both tents met your needs I would buy from NEMO to support a USA company.

You can always buy from REI etc with a good return policy if for what ever reason you were not satisfied. But I am willing to bet you would be very happy with the NEMO.

10:18 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Both are very high quality offerings.  You really can't go wrong with either.

Having said that, I tend to agree with TheRambler.

There are some neat Nemo offerings for 2012 including the Losi SandStorm models.  Also the new Obi 3p.

Here:

http://www.nemoequipment.com/2012workbook.pdf

10:40 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have three Hillebergs and have carefully examined Nemo tents. I would choose a Hilleberg over any Nemo I have seen to date. Each to his own, buy what YOU like as YOU will have to live in it.

BTW, I thought that Nemo tents were actually made in communist China?

10:46 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Both.  Some are made in the US.

What Rambler means is that the the revenue that Nemo generates goes to the GNP of the US.  For Hilleberg it doesn't.

11:30 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

Correct alot of the tents are SEWN in china, but everything else takes place in the US. Hillebetg tents are made in Estonia.

11:31 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Oh, I would have thought that the Hille. branch office in WA. contributes to the American economy?

However, being a hardcore Canuck, I am not as concerned with that issue as I am with the quality, etc. of the tents and I find Hille. to be superior in that respect, from my admittedly small amount of "hands-on" experience with Nemo tents.

Nemo, does have a couple of models which really intrigue me, their two mountain tents which I certainly would love to use on on a fortnight camp in the Rockies or Selkirk-Monashee Mountains.

Has anyone here used one of these?

1:25 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

I personally only own the Nemo Meta 2p, but several of my friends own the Morpheus models, and the Loki? model I think it is. I have also seen others with their other products such as sleeping mats etc. Everything seems very well made and designed.

Both are good brands and I don't think you could go wrong with Hille or Nemo.

1:55 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I agree Dewey, their 2 person mountain tent looks really good.  I like some of the additions like the condensation curtain, etc.  Pricey though.  What isn't now a days?

2:28 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The Losi is a 3 season model(Allak 4) so we are talking about 2 different animals here w/different intended purposes so its kinda hard to compare the 2 but I will give it a whirl....

The Alti Storm would be a better comparison being it is a 4 season model but alot of what I will mention in regards to the design attributes will carry over to the Storm as well...

Kind of an apples to oranges comparison but here goes.

The Nemo Losi(and Storm)is an inner 1st pitch tent. The fly goes on separately as opposed to the Allak goes up in one shot(its just a larger version of my Soulo.)

Plus with all of the mesh on the Losi spindrift sandwiches would be a big concern for me but this is dependent upon when and where ya use the tent.

I would think as they are shipped or "out of the box" that the Losi would offer a bit more flexibility in regards to warmer weather conditions being its is more suited for warmer weather by design(mesh & better air flow from the fly not going completely to the ground as it does on the Allak) and you can pitch it with just the inner straight from the manufacturer.

If you are getting hammered with driving rain, sleet, so on and so forth setting the Losi up might be a more time consuming pain in the rear end which will leave you as well as your gear exposed to the elements for a longer period of time being it is set in multiple steps.

Wind can make attaching the fly fun too. I have flown more than my share of kites over the years. :p

On the other hand as I stated above with the Allak everything goes up in one shot which will result in quicker pitches plus when you get the tent up the inner will be dry.

The trade-off with the Allak is that you lose a bit of flexibility as it come from the manufacturer being you can pitch the tent outer only but in order to pitch just the inner tent only one would have to drop $26 for the poleholder kit which will then let you achieve an inner only pitch.

If ya want you can also snag up a mesh inner for the Allak at $205 then combine either inner with a tarp and have a truly year round shelter.

But as I have stated this does come at a price.

On the flipside with the Allak you do not have to have the vestibules staked out in order to utilize them as you do with the Losi.

I could go on and on but with that being said if the op is going to be in wet/rainy/mild wind/mild snow either tent will probably be just fine; it is more a matter of preferred convenience in regards to the different type of pitch techniques/flexibility(level of protection)these 2 different brands offer.

I think all of you get the point w/o me dragging this out and stressing your eyeballs too much lol.

Its all about trade-offs(as with any other type of gear that is out there.) 

On a side note:

I do like the Moki, and the Isopod(kinda reminds me of a big caterpillar.)

I have also had my eye on the Go-Go Elite for sometime. 

5:14 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Wow thanks all.  I didnt think I'd get this kind of response.  Very helpful.  I might have to draw straws.....

5:40 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

skibum12 said:

Wow thanks all.

Never a problem skibum12.

I didnt think I'd get this kind of response.  Very helpful.  I might have to draw straws.....

;)

7:59 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

So I think your have picked two tents that will put you up for the night in good stead.

7:59 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Which one ?

11:02 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

(edited because of being snarky)

I have never used the Nemo tents, but I have personally used the Hilleberg Allak through several seasons of camping. The two models look to have lots of differences to me, I sure wouldn't compare the two at all.

What are your needs for a shelter? It would help to know.

11:58 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

vigilguy said:

What are your needs for a shelter? It would help to know.

Here is a previous thread where he kinda covered to an extent what he is looking for in a tent:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/beginners/topics/92232.html#93258

Skibum, have you considered a 3-4 season convertible rig?

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/tents/convertible/

Might give you the year round flexibility you are looking for.

7:33 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

I agree with the others a well. Those two tents are completely different animals from one another. Hard to compare them.

11:06 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

How are they completely different animals? 

Both are double walled.  Both have similar weights.  Both have similar footprints and waterproofing.  Both have dual vestibules and doors.  Both have crossing poles structures for strength.

The primary difference in terms of design is the outer pitch first design of the Allak.

What am I missing here?

11:11 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

One is a 3 season shelter and one is a 4 season.  With this comes total different characteristics in regards to materials used, strength, function, how well the shelters breathe, conditions in which they can be utilized(hot-cold comfort), so on and so forth.

They are both tents though. ;)

11:29 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Don't forget that there is only so much to be seen by looking at pictures on the computer monitor. We all make that mistake, me included.

Hilleberg feels that their exoskeleton design holds up better in wind tunnel testing.

One big difference is the Keron fabric. It is expensive stuff, but the tear strength numbers are significantly better than typical nylon that is used.

Similarly, I don't do an apples to apples comparison with my 3 McHale backpacks to production packs. I sure did not appreciate McHale packs AT ALL until I received a demo from Dan. The difference was in the little details.

12:53 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

One is a 3 season shelter and one is a 4 season.  With this comes total different characteristics in regards to materials used, strength, function, how well the shelters breathe, conditions in which they can be utilized(hot-cold comfort), so on and so forth.

They are both tents though. ;)

Okay - I see what you mean.  I guess the new Sand Storm version would be a better comparable given the fabric inner and 4 season designation.

They used to have a Losi Storm version that was also 4 season.  The only difference was the fabric inner.  The pole structure was the same.

1:21 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Family Guy said:

They used to have a Losi Storm version that was also 4 season.  The only difference was the fabric inner.  The pole structure was the same.

I was confused by that as well. I remember the Losi Storm and when I 1st started replying to this thread that was the model that I thought we were talking about for obvious reasons. 

I suppose the Alti Storm took its place in their lineup.

1:44 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Here are a couple of pics of the Sand Storm version which looks like it even has more inner coverage (less mesh) than the previous Storm version:

LOSI_SANDSTORM_.jpg

LOSI_SANDSTORM_fly.jpg

1:47 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Family Guy said:

Here are a couple of pics of the Sand Storm version which looks like it even has more inner coverage (less mesh) than the previous Storm version:

LOSI_SANDSTORM_.jpg

LOSI_SANDSTORM_fly.jpg

I wonder if that version was designed(color configuration) with military use in mind. 

Gotta say I like the subdued colors.

2:00 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

That would do for this old mountain geezer and it looks like a very useful and comfortable tent to me.

2:01 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Nemo started out producing things exclusively for military/paramilitary units, so I don't think it's coincidence that the Sand Storm exists as it does...the Gogo was originally conceived as a long-range recon shelter...

Oh yeah...I have an Allak. Get one.

5:26 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I'm leaning towards.....

12:05 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Terra Nova? ;p

5:18 a.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts