Trail Work Tools

6:29 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

As a means to become well informed about backpacking and hiking my wife and I began our outback adventures by becoming trail work volunteers.  I joke w/ my sweetie about spending more time brushing and clearing waterbars than hiking or backpacking.  She's just happy to be in the woods, besides, as she reminds me, we still have to hike to where we have to be while tending to the trails.

If you've ever had to carry in an assortment of tools you probably know full well it can be quite a chore lugging a mattock, shovel, loppers, bow saw etc, especially on steep trails or while scrambling.
I've managed to improvise a US Army A.L.I.C.E. pack frame to carry tools (including pick mattock) and trail essentials. This frees my hands to use treking poles hiking in and out from a site. The problem is w/ the shovel and McLeod fire rake.  The shovel sometimes doubles as a trek pole, but the fire rake can be a bit cumbersome.

Thanks to a long Google search I came across a company that makes a telescopic (2' to 4') handle that a variety of tool heads can be attached to: Inteletool.com   ....  I've just purchased a handle and McLeod fire tool head, and will submit a review to the manufacturer.

Are any of you folks familiar w/ this company?

12:39 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,055 forum posts

Hi UUjohn. Welcome to Trailspace!

Thank you for doing trail work!  It's people like you that make so much possible for so many.

Another option for you to investigate is a company called Mystery Ranch.  They make packs that can hold heavy tools. 

Post some trip reports from your trail work adventures some time.  We'd all love to see the trails you work on.

9:49 a.m. on May 19, 2012 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Go see granite gear specialty pack. One of them is made for loggers. It's built to carry everything a logger needs. Think alice army bag but made by GG.

8:39 a.m. on May 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

tool-pack.jpg

8:52 a.m. on May 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

^ That's the a.l.i.c.e. pack w/ a 16" long piece of 1" x 6" as a shelf.  It's perfect for carrying trail tools and gear in and out of work sites.  Attached is the Inteletool McLeod w/ telescoping handle.  That's what I'm looking for: tools like shovels and rakes that I can carry in on the pack, rather than steep climbs and scrambling w/ a long handle shovel etc.
I was wondering if any of you here had any experience w/ the Inteletool outfit, or maybe heard of someone that has it.

This McLeod is a bit heavy compared to others, but what a tough tool.  Imagine carrying a tool like that w/ a 4' long handle over gnarly trails, steep inclines and boulder strewn trails.  Not fun.

It's first day doing trail work it cleared or retrenched 10 water bars on the Parker Trail of Mount Monadnock in Jaffrey, NH, the most hiked/climbed mountain in North America.  If you're ever n the area look me up, we'll go for a hike.

Trail On !!

3:41 p.m. on June 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks Louis-Alexis and Seth for the heads up about Granite Gear and Mystery Ranch.  Nice lightweight utility packs they've got.  

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply