ALPS Mountaineering Jagged Peak 2 or High Peak Enduro

1:20 p.m. on May 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

I need a tent that will hold up to 30-40mph winds and rain. I checked ebay and most of the the four season tents are going for over $200, my budget is $150 so I trying to decide between the ALPS Mountaineering Jagged Peak 2 or High Peak Enduro, the Enduro I can get for $35 less. I do not go back country camping at all and probably will use this tent one or two more times again in the next ten years and will be camping by myself. For the first 4 days I will be on a island in Alaska by myself, the the next four will be car camping. Any help would be appreciated.

3:51 p.m. on May 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I would pick the Alps Mountaineering Extreme 2 over the Jagged Peak because the pole configuration is stronger (it is similar to the MSR fury). Both the Jagged Peak and Extreme have showed up on Steep and Cheap within the past few days. $139 for the Jagged on the 5/20/12 and $109 for the Extreme 5/17/12.  Do not get the Zephyr it is a nice tent but I would not use it in high winds.  Use www.sacalerts.com to alert you when they come up for sale.  There is an Extreme 2 listed on Geartrade.com at the moment http://www.geartrade.com/item/262001

If you are only going to use this tent for such a short time then I would consider purchasing one of the $200 plus models and reselling when you are done with it.

This Eureka Alpenlite 2XT http://www.geartrade.com/item/261854 could probably be resold at the same price as long as you didn't damage it.

3:55 p.m. on May 20, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I see the Enduro as a lightweight combo 3-4 season tent and the Alps as even lighter and probably only a 3 season.

Not to say that they would not work in 40+kts so long as you tie down and stake out effectively.

Earlier this year I was out camping at 11000ft for days in the snow in breeze (only 15kts) with temps down to 7f before windchill and it was only a 3 season that I was using.  Granted, I was very cold but had fun.

If you could just step up your budget a little more (say $100) you could such a bigger and better selection.

Today only at REI,

http://www.rei.com/product/794283/rei-arete-asl-2-tent

12:30 a.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

What is your back up plan should the tent fail?  Die?

Four days in such an environment is a long time, especially given your limited experience, and desire to rely on equipment that is selected based on it economy, versus dependability.  I strongly urge you rent a suitable tent rather than risk your welfare on a tent with an unproven track record for dealing with fairly severe conditions.

Ed

12:55 a.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

whomeworry said:

What is your back up plan should the tent fail?  Die?

Four days in such an environment is a long time, especially given your limited experience, and desire to rely on equipment that is selected based on it economy, versus dependability.  I strongly urge you rent a suitable tent rather than risk your welfare on a tent with an unproven track record for dealing with fairly severe conditions.

Ed

great suggestion

11:49 a.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

I did look into renting but places I found only rent three season tents. Buying an Eureka Alpenlite 2XT and reselling after using once  sounds like a good idea. 

12:33 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Here you go.  The perfect tent for you.  Better hop on this before somebody gets it.  Just turn around and resell it.

http://www.geartrade.com/item/254244

Ed correct me if I'm wrong but this tent should do the job.

16034499154f770e3f23ce3.jpg

Sierra Designs Stretch Dome 3 Tent 3-Person 4 Season

$240 normally $549.  Free shipping!

It's a nice big tent so you don't go stir crazy.  It's 93" x 84" x 48" high, with 9 sq feet of vestibule. Decent size for car camping also.  The main draw back is it's probably a little harder to set up than the Alpinelite and it's 9lbs.  I got the impression that you were going to set up in one spot on the island and wouldn't be moving much so weight shouldn't matter that much.  If you're setting up at a different place each night go with the Alpinelite.  I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't sell this for more than you pay for it. 

10:48 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Thanks ocalacomputerguy, The reason I like the Alps Jagged compared to the Extreme is that the vents close.

8:28 a.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

You're welcome. 

True you can't button down the Extreme like the Jagged but you probably won't need to unless the temps get into the lower 20's.

Let us know which tent you go with.  We give out lots of advice around here but half the time we never know what happens. 

BTW... Why are you going? 

11:43 a.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Taking wildlife photos is my hobby so I'll be trying to see some Walrus in the wild.

12:48 p.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

usb3 -

sounds like an interesting trip. I'd be interested as well in knowing the nature of an adventure that puts you on Walrus Island by yoursellf for several days. In any event, enjoy yourself.

In reference to the Jagged Peak, I have not had experience with it, but I can tell you that I do like my Alps products and have had great customer service. Their products show and perform like other brands at significantly higher price points in my experience.  

The only concern I have about either of the Alps tents you are considering, and again, I am an Alps fan, is that there don't appear to be many guy out points on the fly other than anchor points along the bottom. If you are experiencing high winds (I recall that you said up to 50-60 mph in your other thread), then I am concerned that you might experience tent failure from the horizontal wind forces. The Extreme 2 and the Jagged Peak both have beefy pole systems, and the JP2, with it's 8.9 mm poles, seems equipped to handle vertical snow loads, but if there aren't many guyout points on the fly, I'm not sure how well it will hold in constant high winds. But I am not the expert on this - it is merely opinion. I would recommend that you call Alps Mountaineering and ask their advice - are there additional guyout points that are not visible in their pictures?  Or call Backcountry.com. They sell these tents (steepandcheap.com is part of their web biz) and are extremely helpful about the products they sell. Happy tent hunting and yes, like Ocala said, please let us know what you decide and what you experience with the tent of choice on Walrus Island.

9:46 p.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

I called Alps and talk to a very helpful lady who suggested the Jagged Peak but said the Extreme would also do fine. There is a ranger station on the island and a cook hut, also will be on a wooded plank or skid pallent for us working guys.

6:58 a.m. on May 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I would still go for the Sierra Designs if you don't need a tent.  You would have plenty of room for all your gear inside the tent instead of keeping some in the vestibules and would cost you less in the long run. 

Make sure you have some way of guying/staking the tent down to the wooden platform. 

11:08 p.m. on May 23, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Ed correct me if I'm wrong but this tent should do the job.

16034499154f770e3f23ce3.jpg

Sierra Designs Stretch Dome 3 Tent 3-Person 4 Season

A good choice.

It's a fine 4 season tent - I own the 2 person version in an earlier version.

Ed

12:29 a.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

The one concern with the Sierra Designs Stretch Dome is the weight, it's about ten pounds. 

7:07 a.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

It is heavy and if you are going to move your camp around I wouldn't get it.  Otherwise go for it.

11:48 a.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

If you have not yet bought a tent. Take a look at www.gearscan.com

Frequently an Alps Mountaineering Chaos 2 person 3 season tent is listed and is about 50% off normal RRP and then may fit your budget nicely.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply