Water Filtration?

6:53 a.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Hi everybody - I'm looking for some thoughts on water filtration.  I'm thinking of switching from a katadyn pump to a platypus gravityworks for my in-camp water, and switching to using a Sawyer water filter bottle (http://www.rei.com/product/822013/sawyer-water-treatment-filter-bottle) for my hiking water, rather than carrying liters of water in a bladder.

Suggestions?

1:55 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Well everything you mentioned works well. The only issue I see is that your carrying unneccesary weight by taking two filters. Why not just use one filter?

A sawyer squeeze or sawyer 3 way seem like it would meet all of your needs. That way your only carrying one filter and saving yourself a little extra money and weight.

Both can be used as a gravity filter. with the 3 way you can drink right from dirty water or a bladder with dirty water the same principle as the filter bottle. With the squeeze its easy to just fill up a bottle, takes only about a minute to fill a liter bottle with the squeeze. Or you can just squirt the squeeze directly into your mouth.

If I was in the market for a new water filter currently I would personally buy the sawyer squeeze.

5:54 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

There are a bunch of posts on this very topic.  Search and you shall find.

Ed

8:32 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Personally I would pick the sawyer squeeze over the bottle because I get 3 compactable water containers or the 4-way because it contains all the needed hardware for putting it inline with a water bladder.

I have a Sawyer 2 liter gravity fed. Unless the platypus is cheaper I would get the Sawyer. It works well and has good flow. It can be used as an inline filter with a bladder also.  You just have to buy some of the connectors from sawyer.

If you put the filter inline, you could use your bladder for gravity feed in camp or when hiking (just don't fill it full).  The main thing you would need is something to back flush with.  With the gravity feed version I usually just pull off the valve on the end of my camel back and hook directly to the filter.  I don't even have to remove the bladder from my pack. To clean it I just disconnect the dirty water bladder and squeeze my camelbak.  In your case you would need a syringe or a second bladder to filter into.

11:05 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Well the squeeze does come with a syringe for back flushing

4:28 a.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Thanks for the info everybody.  Ed - is there a way to just search the forums and not the rest of the site?

That Sawyer 3-way looks pretty interesting.  I'll have to definitely consider that.  My trouble is that I'm trying to achieve two different goals:

1) to have a gravity filter for camp so I don't have to bother with all that pumping any more

2) to have a way to easily access water while hiking without carrying several pounds in a hydration bladder.  I think the bladder is great if there's not much water on the trail and you need to carry a lot with you, but most of my hiking is in the Pacific Northwest and there tends to be decent access to water.  My trouble is, I tend to need to drink a lot of water when I'm hiking/sweating and since getting the pump out and doing that whole thing is a big hassle, I usually just fill the whole 3 liter bladder and carry all that water weight despite the fact that I am routinely crossing small streams where I could be reloading (and not carrying so much water weight).  So I've been thinking that the Sawyer filter bottle might be a good option because I could just dip in it each water source I come to and then keep going.  

How exactly do you convert the Sawyer squeeze to gravity feed?  I have a Platypus 6-liter water tank to filter water into (which I use now with my pump), but what do you put the dirty water into and how do you hook it all up?  It's probably simple but I'm having a hard time visualizing it.  I can see using the Squeeze on the trail since it's so much simpler than a pump...easy to reload a water bottle at each creek...

As always, all advice is greatly appreciated!

6:53 a.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

The squeeze can be used as a gravity filter just by hanging it. It is a little slower in this fashion, but works none the less. You use the same bags it comes with for the dirty bag, and then for the clean bag you can use a platy etc. You can buy a tornado tube from most any hardware store and then you can actually thread it onto a platy or any other container that has the standard thread pattern. Alot of people put a tornado tube on the dirty side as well and use a platy for the dirty water as they are more duable and easier to fill.

It works the same as any other gravity filter, the weight of the water is what pushes it through the filter. So its not as fast as squeezing it, but it does work. There is a very in depth thread over at www.backpackinglight.com on all the different ways you can hook up a sawyer squeeze using tornado tubes etc but i don't have the time to find the specific link at the moment.

5:09 p.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Ahhhh - that totally makes sense.  Pretty funny - using the squeeze bag as the gravity feed bag is so obvious that I completely missed it.  Thanks again!

5:16 p.m. on May 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Seems like if I get this Sawyer 4-way system, I'd get the bottle and the filter: http://tinyurl.com/clfgt7z

and then get some of these squeeze pouches:  http://www.rei.com/product/837827/sawyer-32-fl-oz-water-filter-squeeze-pouch-package-of-3

I'd be able to have the bottle filter, the squeeze filter, *and* a gravity filter!

6:33 a.m. on May 23, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

You must really want that water bottle, lol. Yes I reckon that would work fine.

Why not just carry a small water bottle and fill it when needed? I see it as more tedious to have to suck through a slow filter when i want to be DRINKING water. Where as if you take a minute or two at a rest break to just fill up a bottle, you can drink however much you want as fast as you want. Drinking through a filter bottle works, though its not very fast, its like drinking a Frosty from Wendy's through a straw...you get a little, but its really just enough to get you angry because all you want is MORE!

Keep your filter on the outside of your pack or otherwise easily accessible and its then easy to fill up when you cross a water source.

5:48 p.m. on May 23, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Take a look at the Sawyer SP181 All in One Filter. It's got a Squeeze filter and a bucket adaptor kit. If you have a base camp, you can set up the bucket assembly and supply the camp with clean filtered water. If you want to take it hiking, it comes with a Squeeze pouch. It's got a field weight of 3 oz. The bag is hard to fill in standing water, but you can fill it easily from another receptacle or waterfall or fast moving water. The filter screws onto a pop bottle, if you prefer. 

I guess I can't post my website? You can find more info at Highwater Filters.

8:45 p.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

You guys will be happy to know that I ordered a Squeeze!  Still interested in that filter bottle though...    :)

8:17 a.m. on May 26, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Langcow, check this out.

http://www.rei.com/product/837889/sawyer-inline-adapter-water-filter-connections

Guess sawyer just released it. It will make it alot easier to use the squeeze in other ways, vice having to buy tornado tubes and other fittings to accomplish the same goal.

7:28 p.m. on May 26, 2012 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Check out the aqua mira frontier pro.  Weighs about 3 ounces.  Attaches to either a soda bottle or a platypus.  If a platypus you can use it like a sawyer squeeze, or a soda bottle with a hole in the bottom like a gravity filter.  It is fast enough to process water for two people, though I generally use it solo with the bite valve and a 1 liter platypus.

9:33 a.m. on May 27, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

steve t said:

Check out the aqua mira frontier pro.  Weighs about 3 ounces.  Attaches to either a soda bottle or a platypus.  If a platypus you can use it like a sawyer squeeze, or a soda bottle with a hole in the bottom like a gravity filter.  It is fast enough to process water for two people, though I generally use it solo with the bite valve and a 1 liter platypus.

The Frontier Pro looks good until you look at the capacity. 50 gallons. When you compare the Sawyer with a "capacity" of 1 million gallons, you really can't deny the value of Sawyer water filters. 

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply