Hilleberg Soulo issue resolved...

2:29 p.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Some of you may remember that I mentioned in one of my trip reports about an issue I had with my Soulo outer detaching from the inner in random places(toggles.)

(If not here is the tr:)

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/114437.html

Well at their request I sent the tent back to Hilleberg(Redmond Washington) for them to take a look at.

During my initial correspondence with Petra Hilleberg she informed me that she was going to be doing some travelling and would be out of the office for a bit. She would get on it as soon as she got back.

This wasn't a big deal being I really wasn't going to be using the tent anytime soon other than for a warm weather test in the backyard for review purposes(ventilation.) 

Well low and behold there were sewing errors in the corners of the tent(per the letter from Petra.) 

So they replaced the tent with a brand new one. 

I gotta say I am impressed on how this was dealt with and how it was handled in a timely manner. 

Kudos to Petra and everyone at Hilleberg. You have a customer for life.

2 other things I would like to add.

• I received another copy of the 2012 catalog and this one has a sample of the Kerlon 1000 fabric which is used on their 3 season tents(pretty strong stuff.) The previous version of the catalog I received didn't have that sample.

(If you want to get your paws on a catalog you can do so here:)

http://www.hilleberg.com/OrderCatalog.htm

• Also on the newer versions of the Soulo(2012); the zipper pulls for the outer have been replaced with more glove friendly versions(see pic below.)

Soulo-outer-zipper-pulls-003.jpg

I don't know about others here but a company standing behind thier product goes just as far with me as the quality and performance of their product.

Hilleberg covers both bases in spades.

6:40 p.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Wow, so you got the problem solved AND got an upgrade to the newer model.  Nice!!!

6:47 p.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I'm not complaining. They definitely made things right as far as I am concerned. ;)

2:41 a.m. on May 26, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

<soapbox>

@Rick you mentioned "you have a customer for life".  More companies should pay heed to this way of thinking.  More often than I'd care to think about, I've found myself thinking "you've LOST a customer for life" based on how a particular company has treated me.

Most companies don't seem to care that many of us have (possibly) decades of life ahead of us (implying lots of spending$$$).  If they treat us right, we'll spend that $$$ with them.  If they don't, we'll take our $$$ elsewhere.

It's great that Hilleberg is an exception to this pattern.  Your experience with them, I'm sure, in addition to making you a "customer for life", will favorably impact others considering spending their hard-earned $$$ on their products.

</soapbox>

10:02 a.m. on May 26, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I agree 100% with this. So many companies are so wrapped up in the "here & now" and not so much about building a faithful customer base.

That can be huge in regards to whether a company stays afloat or ends up going belly up.

12:15 p.m. on May 26, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

Amazing!

1:31 p.m. on May 26, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ya know; they could have just given me a brand new inner or outer tent(not sure where the mistake was made in the stitching)and I probably would have been okay with that. I really like this lil bomb shelter alot.

I just wanted the problem fixed. 

I believe this is the approach alot of companies would have taken.

But Hille went a step further and sent me a brand new complete tent(poles, stakes, etc.)w/all paperwork and tags attached.

I am majorly impressed with this. 

I just wanted to share my experience so others know that if you purchase one of their products and if ya happen to run into a problem they will definitely stand behind their product and do whatever they can to make it right. 

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply