Kilts

10:17 p.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

I have a mountain hardware elkommando kilt.  I was thinking of adding a Sport Kilt but the hiking model seems a bit flimsy as compared to the more expensive original Sport Kilt.  The major difference seems to be the material, the original is made of polyester-viscose and the hiking model is made of micro fiber.

Has anyone used the original sport kilt for hiking?  Does the material seem appropriate for hiking or did they create the hiking version because of some fault with the original?

7:52 a.m. on May 29, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

I have both the elkommando and the hiking model, and i agree that the hiking kilt seems kinda flimsy. I personally love the elkommando and tend to stick with it.

4:53 p.m. on May 29, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

The teaser on Facebook asked, "Would you run or hike in a kilt?" so excuse me if I respond to that instead of nogods comparison.

1. Devil's Club

2. Ticks

3. Juniper and krummholz

4. Bushwhacking (not even GOING there)

5. Cool nights and early mountain mornings.

I can't even hike in shorts and I've given up on unzipping the legs off my hiking pants. Just too many scratches and bug bites. I'd rather be a bit too warm.

7:30 p.m. on May 29, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

Any hike on which I would wear shorts will be more comfortable with a kilt instead.  

I treated my elkommando with permethrine, as well as my hat and gaiters. On a recent hike I was ignored by the skeeters and black flies attacking many of the others in the group.

If shorts would be inappropriate for a hike then I'd wear long pants instead of a kilt.  I always have room for a pair of zipoffs in my pack, so I'm never without pants if needed.

6:36 a.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

Real men don't have feeling in their legs! All those little things don't bother us, because well, we are men and they know better =P

Seriously though, I have had little trouble with those things. I also treated mine with permetherien which helps significantly. As far as thorns, briars and what not I don't really have an issue on normal trails. Guess I'm just tough. I have worn tall gaiters with my kilt while bushwhacking which prevents most issues from plant life.

Like anything there are pros and cons , in this case, the comfort provided exceedes the cons. It's really no different than wearing shorts, exact same disadvantages. Just alot more comfortable than shorts.

Cool nights and evenings? You would be cold regardless if you were wearing shorts, or a kilt, skirt, or whatever. Put on a jacket.

I do not go commando however, I do wear exofficio boxer briefs. When people hear kilt then tend to automatically think commado. Most people that I know that wear kilts or have heard of that wear kilts do not go commando. But there are some, becareful who's kilt your checking!

12:23 p.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I'd love to try a kilt, but won't shell out the cash on a whim.  However if Mountain Hardwear made them in a tartan plain........

1:03 p.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

While looking for a tartan kilt I found some sub-$30 kilts made of acrylic at stillwaterkilts.com (you have to click on the store tab to see the kilts for sale.)

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply