Off Route... Pack that converts to a shelter.

10:55 p.m. on June 13, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

This is pretty cool. 

The Dirtbagger Pack Tent:

http://offroutegear.com/dirtbagger.html

7:49 a.m. on June 14, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Our scout troop had an ex military type who had a tarp tent he somehow attached to a pack frame to double as his pack sack.

Ed

2:37 p.m. on June 14, 2012 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
191 forum posts

Well, putting all your gear in sacks, ( or in the old days just rolling it all up ) throwing it onto a tarp and bundling up the lot, then tying it to a bare pack frame is actually a very old technique.

Calvin Rustum wrote about throwing all his gear onto his ground cloth, bundling it all up and pitching it into his canoe.  

He did use a separate tent though.

That backpack/tent  is a pretty slick idea though, and so far as I know quite original!

What does it weigh though?

I can’t imagine that it works  as well as a dedicated pack and tent, but I always like to see advances to the state of the art.

2:58 p.m. on June 14, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Here is the manufacturer's page with specs:

http://www.offroutegear.com/dirtbagger.html

3:49 p.m. on June 14, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

not sure I like it compared to the support and comfort of an internal frame backpack. I can imagine throwing a lumpy duffle bag with few if any compartments to organize gear would be pretty painful after a while. Why not just carry a tarp in your backpack to set up when you get to camp? It seems like a cool idea and cool attempt, but unfortunately my humble opinion is that it's just another way of doing what people already do, so that a company can market it and make money from it.

4:09 p.m. on June 14, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I would think this would be more geared towards minimalist, ul, short, fast trips(over night-weekend trips.) So if that is the case it might not be much different than using a frameless pack(load dependent of course.)

I personally wouldn't even consider using a system such as this for say one of my week+ winter trips.

That would suck. Then again I doubt that this is what the intended purpose of the system is. I think the problem that alot of folks run into is due to the fact that people have a tendency to utilize gear in ways that it was not intended to be used.

Then they say "oh its garbage."

Just another form of user error(but we like to blame gear.) Surely it wasn't our fault that we were eating spindrift sandwiches for a late winter weekend in our 3 season ul shelter. :p

Different tools for different jobs.

One of the reasons I have so much different gear. It all is intended for different types of use in different seasons.

If one sticks with using their 3 season tent for 3 season use and say a 4 season tent for 4 season use things have a tendency to run much more smoothly as opposed to when one pushes parameters.

Kinda goes with the whole when one product is intended for a multitude of different uses it doesn't typically excel at anything logiic.

3:59 p.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

true Rick. I've simply stuck with my 4-season tent year round, and in summer just keep the rainfly off or have everything unzipped with the rainfly on if it's raining to keep cooler and have better ventilation.

This summer season I'm going to experiment for the first time with just a bug bivy and sleeping bag. The bivy is waterproof, so I only need a shelter for my chest and face if it rains, and I should be able to find a natural shelter for that purpose easily enough where I hike.

4:16 p.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

iClimb said:

true Rick. I've simply stuck with my 4-season tent year round, and in summer just keep the rainfly off or have everything unzipped with the rainfly on if it's raining to keep cooler and have better ventilation.

I am actually hitting the trail for a few days and I am taking my Hille. I am not doing this because I necessarily "have or want too" being I have my BA Spur 1 but more so to see how the Soulo does in warm weather. 

My spidey sense tells me it is going to a bit on the warm side(sauna.)

I want to get a review out on the Soulo so to get the best dialed in opinion on it I need to do this. 

This summer season I'm going to experiment for the first time with just a bug bivy and sleeping bag. The bivy is waterproof, so I only need a shelter for my chest and face if it rains, and I should be able to find a natural shelter for that purpose easily enough where I hike.

You should be cool with a tarp for your upper torso. 

5:15 p.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

Jack of all trades and a master of none.  The reason I'm willing to carry the extra weight from a well-designed internal or a Dana Design external is because they do their job extremely well.  I'm not sacrificing anything in the name of theory.  In fact, they do their job so well that I benefit in ways that fly against certain theories.  The 3-4LBs of framing and suspension system pay for itself.

I like multi-tasking ideas.  The ingenuity can be very interesting.  Unfortunately, that is where it ends a lot of the time.  Appreciate the idea but not the result.

1:32 p.m. on June 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Google "yukon pack"

5:22 p.m. on August 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Not for me.

8:09 p.m. on August 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I think I will stick with my hammock and tarp. Just drooling away thinking about sleeping in my hammock.....ahhhh

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply