BRUNTON Optimus Nova snag!

11:00 p.m. on June 26, 2012 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

So, I've been drooling over this stove for a while & thankfully with a little guidance from a recent post from HikinJim that set me straight about the new made in cheaper, Nova+ models and showed the difference in the "Made in Sweden" model, I had a course to follow. Given my new edumacation, I set about finding that which I desired and a recent ebay auction produced.

Got the stove/fuel pump & bottle. Plus two other bottles (1 MSR (Black?) & an APEX that just needs a replacement cap). Along with two maintenance kits. And, another fuel pump that isn't for this stove but was just thrown in, not sure what it is for, guess it will be some future Frankenstein stove. Paid a little bit more than the cost of a new, made in china Nova+ but with all the xtra's I think I got a smokin deal for something that is hard to find and Made in Sweden.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

One kick ass, ultra low simmer.
image.jpg

10:14 a.m. on June 27, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,340 forum posts

nice - the stove i have been using for a while.  looks very clean, too. 

word of caution - you should not use MSR fuel bottles with this stove.  you will notice that brunton and optimus fuel bottles have a flat gasket that seals the fuel bottle top to the lip of the bottle; MSR uses a round gasket that seals to the inside of the mouth of the bottle.  this stove has a reasonably good risk of leaking if you use an MSR bottle. 

10:22 a.m. on June 27, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Leadbelly, I will have to check my bottles and stove for the issue you mention with the gasket. I have the optimus+ and two MSR bottles, and had not had any problems, but am now curious. 

11:57 a.m. on June 27, 2012 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Thanks for the info leadbelly. The MSR bottle I got with it is black, which I've never seen before. Could there be a difference in that? I'll have to put the Brunton & MSR side by side and see if there is a difference I can notice.

Yah, it is nice and clean. The previous owner said it was only used twice.

5:21 p.m. on June 27, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,340 forum posts

i have had an MSR xgk for a really long time - bottles are either silver or red.  never seen a black one. 

i'm not saying it's impossible to use an MSR bottle with the optimus pump - the threads fit.  but the way the fuel bottle tops seal is fundamentally different, and i had one experience, in cold weather where the seals were probably influenced by the cold, where i had leakage.  it was at that point that i noticed the rubber seals are in a slightly different place & seem to function in a slightly different way.

anything to avoid a white gas-fueled explosion in the wilderness....

8:12 p.m. on June 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
269 forum posts

Good find.  Sorry you had to pay so much. I've snooped around and found a few hard to buy stoves, the regular Nova and the prior model, the 11 Explorer, the best thing, they both use the same pump, so I have two pumps that will work for either stove.  I need to take the Nova out and try it, but I have so many other stoves it will have to wait its turn.

Duane

2:55 a.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

FYI, if you use this stove in winter, it may freeze up. Pull apart the connector at the stove end and remove the filter (a little white piece), then it should start up. If the pickup tube comes off of the pump (which mine did), use some epoxy and glue it back in place. The fix for the tube came directly from Optimus in Sweden when I emailed them because Brunton ignored me.

11:00 a.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
269 forum posts

Tom, I had to epoxy both of mine, a common problem sounds like.

Duane

4:53 p.m. on June 30, 2012 (EDT)
512 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Or... just get an MSR Dragonfly multifuel stove and have great reliability.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply