I need DIY camera case ideas.

3:13 p.m. on July 19, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

Hey Guys,

I recently returned from a weekend trip to discover that the LCD panel on my P&S camera was cracked at some point during the trip. I had the camera in a soft sided case.

I can replace the panel, the new panel costs 32.00...so not a disaster I guess.

My bigger concern is for protecting my more expensive DSLR & Video cameras on future trips.

I want a hard sided case with foam to keep both cameras in, I have looked online at items like this:

https://www.allconditionscases.com/Products/Series-115/

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OtterBox-3510-UW-Case-w-Foam-Waterproof-100-Black-OTR33510S20C1OTR-/390436938186?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item5ae7dae1ca

I'm also very interested in any lightweight DIY ideas people may have that would fit into a backpack better than the commercial cases I have looked at would. It doesn't have to be waterproof, but must be a hard case with a secure, easy to open lid.

So...have you got any ideas?

6:58 p.m. on July 19, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I used to roll my SLR or 4X5 press camera in my sleeping bag, and place it in an oversize stuff sack.  Never had a damage issue.  Heck if that doesn't sound good enough, consider rolling a blue foam pad around that.  Somewhat a bothersome to gain access, but when I toted such gear it was for the arty, selected shots, and thus became part of that ritual. 

Ed

4:41 p.m. on July 21, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

this isn't a solution for the DSLR, but for the point and shoot, consider the mystery ranch flip top box.  padded, easy to open, and attaches to your backpack easily.  i'm thinking about one of these for myself.  

http://www.mysteryranch.com/adventure/pack-accessories/flip-top-box

currently, i keep my point and shoot inside an athletic sock in a side pocket or bottle pocket i can easily reach.  i'll put that in a very small dry bag if the weather isn't good.  so far, no breakage.  

2:04 p.m. on July 26, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

i ended up picking up one of these flip top boxes in a larger size, so it could hold my GPS & perhaps multiple things.  one unexpected point is that while the box itself has a nylon shell like i expected, the padded/foam body of the box is indeed padded but is a fair bit harder/stiffer than i expected.  it is significantly more firm than a closed cell foam pad, for example.  i was able to attach it to a gregory backpack hipbelt securely and easily. 

hope this is helpful. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply