Superglue for blisters

9:21 a.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

So I had just finished glueing the latest cut on my son Thursday (this time it was just his finger) when I noticed something. 

The superglue left over on my fingers left a very hard residue that was almost like a thin shell over my finger.  This made me wonder, if I put this on my heel would it resist abrasion from my blister boots (mountaineering boots I got for about $280 off retail but happen to be about a quarter size too small) or would it make things worse?

If you have ever had a similar curiosity you may put it to rest. I tried it and after a mile of hiking I felt a hot spot starting to grow on my heel and took off my boots and socks to find that the superglue had begun to flake off already but not before starting a blister even sooner than my boots would have on their own.  A little athletic tape over the area and I was back in business, a little wiser for the experiment. 

The experiment made me wonder if superglue would make my fingertips last longer the next time I climb granite?  I will have to try and see, as long as I don't use it all up patching my kids back together.   

9:44 a.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

I have used it for years on cuts of the fingers......but that really isn't a great thing to do considering the glue properties get in your blood....it must cause cancer. Everything does you know. Hitting these computer keys made of plastic will likely cause cancer and I will be able to get worker comp disability for the rest of my life and live off the government.....right?

10:17 a.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

I use Duct tape. It sticks to the skin better than most Bandaids. I carry it for many other uses also. Its good for repairing rips in fabric, will lash leanto poles together better and longer than rope., etc. I wrap a lot of it around my water bottles until needed. It also makes Mole Skin stay on longer.

10:20 a.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

purified cyanoacrylate compounds are used medically in lieu of sutures, but I doubt the commercial stuff is made to the same standard. I would think the potential risk of this compound isn't worth a benefit that might be achieved more safely with different boots and socks.

10:41 a.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Thanks for the info Sage, I have actually wondered about that myself.

I use both super glue and a similar product called Second Skin.

They both work great for me on cracked skin, mine is usually the skin at the corner of my thumb or fingernails. In cold weather these cracks can really hurt, but by closing them with glue the discomfort almost disappears. I think a large part of it is the nerve endings being exposed to cold air or cold water.

I prefer duct tape to help prevent foot blisters, mole skin works good too, but I find its thickness to be mentally irritating if I'm wearing tighter fitting shoes.

Mike G.

11:00 a.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Use Body Glide before you put your boots on and reapply mid day.  I used to get blisters between my toes of all places and since using Body Glide, I have no gotten blisters again.  It permits the foot to slide, rather than rub.

11:21 a.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Family Guy said:

Use Body Glide before you put your boots on and reapply mid day.  I used to get blisters between my toes of all places and since using Body Glide, I have no gotten blisters again.  It permits the foot to slide, rather than rub.

Body Glide is something I should try this fall when I go on longer hiking trips. I have seen it is the local sports store, but I've just never tried it yet.

I have been using a wax product called Murray's. It is a mixture of Australian Wax & Petrolatum, it works good to protect skin from friction, wind burn, and moisture. It is actually a hair care product but can be used for a lot of other things too. It is $2.00 for a 4 oz. jar.

Mike G.

12:18 p.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Probably very similar results. The Body Glide isn't overly greasy, which is nice. You can get it in little 4 oz roll on containers. Like underarm deodorant which is easy to use.

2:38 p.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

+1 on the glide.

moleskin and clear surgical tape can help with blisters.  never tried glue.  thing is, blisters aren't abrasions - they are created by pressure that separates layers of skin.  i would think something to decrease friction is better.

surgical adhesive is (a) sterile and (b) comes in single use containers to further inhibit the risk of introducing bacteria.  i'll use instant glue in a pinch for to hold skin together on a bad cut, the way one might use butterflies.  there are a number of 'liquid bandage' products out there.   

5:22 p.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

If you're using duct tape to prevent blisters or to stop them from getting bigger, be sure to clean it off at the end of the day. If you leave it on for a few days, you'll wind up pulling off your skin along with the tape!

I carry super glue in my emergency kit, and I've used it for everything from patching a cut (like the butterflies already mentioned) to fixing a pair of glasses and even someone's broken denture plate. It's not really permanent, but it will get you home.

I tried the 'liquid skin' this spring, when an old area of frostbitten flesh started to work its way out. That stuff formed a really nice protective barrier and let me keep on going. It wasn't very hard, though, so I don't think it would offer much protection from anything but mild abrasion.

6:24 p.m. on July 25, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Family Guy said:

I'm going to try this as well.  The past year my little toe on my right foot has been rubbing like mad and gets blistered raw after about 4-5 miles.  About the only thing that helps is using very expensive toe socks, and they wear out fast.  Thanks for the tip!

9:17 p.m. on July 25, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

I wrap the duct tape around and back onto itself (like it was on the roll) I have left it on for days, changing it every so often. I usually use a 2x2 inch gauze pad underneath over the wound,blister,etc. I have gotten blisters on my feet since I was in Boy Scouts in the late 60s. Usually on my hands/palms from making stone tools for hunting.

9:46 p.m. on July 25, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I thin the Super Glue would create a worse blister seeing as it would not be flexible and hard edges.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply