About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Shoes for punkish daughter

10:18 a.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I have a 13yo daughter that I hike with often. I want to get her a good pair of hiking shoes, but being a 13yo girl - I'm having issues finding something that appeals to her self-expression. She is adult size, so it doesn't need to be kids shoes.

I try have tried explaining that squirrels don't care about footware with no luck. I can't watch he on trails and occasionally slippery rocks in chuck taylor converse anymore :-)

I was thinking actual army combat boots but everything I have read say they stink for hiking, so - any recommendations?

Thanks in advance James

11:28 a.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

They do have a combat hiking boot. It is issued to some special forces, and is much better than a regular combat/paratrooper boot.

6:48 p.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Is she carrying a back pack?

Ed

7:39 p.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

To add to Ed's inquiry...

What type of terrain, seasons, conditions(on trail/off trail,) and how long are you all out at a pop?

The thing about boots is that people's feet very in regards to volume, shape, blah blah blah....

Another big factor. What type of money are you willing to spend? Her feet are prolly gonna grow so I wouldn't think that a $300 pair of boots will be the way to go. 

Dr. Martens are not a viable option regardless how much she begs & pleads. :)

7:43 p.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,669 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

A thought would be to take an old pair of her shoes that she likes and go to a cobbler and have them resole with a more outdoorsy sole. There are many brands of combat style boots, the really cheap ones do indeed suck... alot, but others are very nice. I personally preferred Belleville boots when I was in.

7:43 p.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Here is all the punk rock foot fashion you need for her:

image.jpg

10:21 p.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Try HI-Tec Altitudes. They come in black leather, get her some neon colored laces  from the Nike store or similar items. The Altitudes are a good intro boot. Won't break the bank, and have had some pretty good customer feedback over the years I have worked at various outdoor shops. Zappos is your best bet for finding the black ones, and they also have a great return policy. As for the chuck taylors, don't rag to much on them. They were the original climbing, traversing shoe used by the old guys pioneering climbing in Yosemite and they also are more akin to the "barefoot" approach to shoes for over 50 years. No one ever advertised that too much. But they are pretty close none the less to a decent trail shoe just minus overrated treads.

10:44 p.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks for all of the replies. She would probably use them for 3 seasons, as I am not a big winter hiker (although in NC if we stay south we may get a few colder hikes in).

I agree that she is 13 and almost fully grown, but dont want to buy anything too expensive given that they will end up on ebay if she grows any more. Perhaps <125 would be the target, but obviously the lower the better.

I showed her the Altitudes, but she wasn't a fan. Although she did like the look of the Belleville boots, but not sure of the weight. Resole a pair is a decent idea, but not sure if she has any decent donor shoes.

I assume DocMartens wouldnt be sufficient? I remember them not being that comfortable back in the day.

giftogab - The heels might come in handy if a black bear approaches?

- Trying to be a supportive father - thanks for all the great recommendations - please keep them coming.

1:26 a.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Maybe some of these gearheads can help, but if you can locate some 70's era waffle stompers and lace em with funky laces that retro look would be cool for many Punka-bees. Docs would be touch for me to hike it, as I remember them.

Now, THESE are not the most practical in terms of the wool on them, but they may be coolish enough with the gothie/punky tartan. The style itself was something I actually hiked in for the first 5 years I hiked!

7:02 a.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

So... Is she carrying  pack?

Ed

8:24 a.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Right now she sometimes carries a daypack, depending on the hike, but isn't caught up in the look, so I'm not going to bring it to her attention. Knowing her style, she would probably pick a retro army bag for a daypack if she had a choice. I would be open to innexpensive options if you have a suggestion.

8:35 a.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

This plaid ones seemed like they may be an option, but after visiting red wings website, it doesn't look like they are actually made. Know of any other companies that make these plaid boots?

9:15 a.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Jpstewart19 said:

This plaid ones seemed like they may be an option, but after visiting red wings website, it doesn't look like they are actually made. Know of any other companies that make these plaid boots?

Let me look, Jpstewart19.

9:17 a.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
12:21 p.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

First: Welcome to Trailspace!

What a cool dad you are.  My dad took me hiking when I was a "punkish" son, and despite hating the first several trips, it changed my life for the better.

If she's not carrying a pack and she has strong ankles, I'd strong consider a pair of trail running shoes. They tent to come in more "extreme" colors and designs, are light, and cost less than boots (there are certainly exceptions!). You could customize with different color laces. For protection from ticks, rocks and ivy, you could get her a pair of cheap gaiters in a solid color and let her decorate them with iron-on decals or garment paint. Minus the decals, this is the set-up I often hike in, and though it is cheaper, it is certainly a high-quality option.

12:30 p.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Seth said:

For protection from ticks, rocks and ivy, you could get her a pair of cheap gaiters in a solid color and let her decorate them with iron-on decals or garment paint.

Dirty Girl gaiters may have a pattern for her:

http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/index.html

2:35 p.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
570 forum posts

I think Seth and Rick have teamed up to find the right answer. I've been trying to think of what to recommend since reading this topic yesterday. My mind immediatly goes to hiking boots but shoes should be find considering the requirement and Dirtygirl has enough patterns to let her inner "punk hiker" out!

4:39 p.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Those Chick Taylor hiking boots are the BOMB! I ordered a pair muh-self! Only $45.00! Gotta be a good way to get a hip kid on the trail!

image.png

6:58 a.m. on August 1, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Provided those Chick Taylors aren't blister machines, they should do the trick.  But I wouldn't fret much if she kept with her current footwear.  A day pack isn't much stress.  I have been day hiking in Adidas basket ball shoes and Sperry topsiders since I was younger than your daughter.  No problem. 

If you want her to change, use finesse.  Expose her to role models displaying the traits you wish to encourage.  When she sees “cool” chicks in hiking boots, she’ll be ready to conform to that clique’s look and talk.

Ed

8:44 a.m. on August 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Ed - are you saying that you advocate listening to our kids and encouraging them, as opposed to bending them to our will?? Just joking, actually really great advice.

So after looking at all of the options, I think that the Chuck Taylor hiking boots will end up doing the trick. I was originally more concerned with tread than ankle support for her, but based on all of the feedback it doesn't seem like a huge priority.

I may wait a few more hikes and then order them. Will post back results.

Thanks Everyone! What an amazing 1st experience posting to the forum.

9:48 a.m. on August 1, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

I have worn chuck taylor classics since my YOOT. Never had a blister from them. I imagine these are not the ideal hiker, but better than wearing my normal day shoes. Plus they are an intor into different attire for different activities. Financially beneficial to not ruin your school shoes in the woods.

8:05 p.m. on August 13, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

I got these in teh mail a few days back. They are well made and feel comfortable. Wont be real effective in teh sence of true hiking boots, but will be at least wellington with a grip. might get her out there a bit more for geting her hooked....though not in the rain.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply