Fire shelter in the cold

12:23 a.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I was just looking at an emergency fire shelter for wild fires. I couldnt help but wonder how well one would work to keep heat in as well as keeping it out. Seems like it would make a really warm emergency bivy. I think the cost and weight would keep people from buying or carrying one, but they would work great as something for sar to heli drop to stranded people. If they can keep five hundred degree heat out they ought to keep 98.6 in.

12:35 p.m. on July 31, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

These shelter are for desperate situations only.  Among hot-shots, they are known as "shake and bakes." I have heard from a few wildland fire fighters that they are more useful in cold weather than they are for their intended purpose!

9:42 a.m. on August 3, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

A guide  instructor I had said that fires pass over an area in 30 seconds. Since most fire-fighters die from inhaled gases, not the flames, keeping a pocket of breathable air should be enough to keep someone alive. Specs for one model of fire shelter include a size of 8.5in. x 5.5 in. x 4 in., smaller than my tent.

Not a bad idea, but the little emergency bags like the Blizzard Survival Emergency Sleeping Bag are smaller, lighter and cheaper. They have a lot of plastic in them though, so I wouldn't want to use one for fire protection!

Just a few early-morning thoughts.

12:18 a.m. on August 4, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,214 forum posts

The best shelter from the cold is a fire.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply