Softshell hooded jacket

10:49 p.m. on August 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey there,
I'll be doing some backpacking around Kluane NP up in the Yukon end of the month, and I was looking for some advice on a softshell.

I know the weather can swing wildly this time of year (I work outdoors in the Yukon), and currently I'm planning on bringing the usual base layers, an insulating layer (fleece) and my rain shell (Marmot, goretex paclite). 

Would it be better to keep weight down and simply use the rain shell to break the wind (and obviously in any downpours!), or would I be better off picking up a hooded softshell to spend a good amount of time in when the weather is inevitably windy and cold?

I'm leaning towards grabbing a softshell just as insurance for when the weather really turns as an extra layer would be nice, but if anyone has any thoughts/experience with this kind of thing in Denali/Kluane it'd be great to hear your thoughts! 

It'd be awesome to hear any recommendations as well.

Thanks!

3:32 p.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

you could kill two birds with one stone and get marmot's zion soft shell, which has polartec's neoshell membrane.  it's waterproof (taped, fully waterproof), windproof, breathes well, and has a good hood.  fabric is a little less stretchy than a typical soft shell, but it has a fair bit more 'give' than hard shells.  cut reasonably slender.  you could fit a fleece under it, but not lots of layers. 

summer is a great time to buy softshells - i got a great discount on mine earlier in the summer, and i'm guessing discounts have deepened. 

5:18 p.m. on August 19, 2012 (EDT)
384 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

My favorite Softshell Hooded Jacket is the Marmot ROM, I love this jacket! I can fit anything beneath it from an insulated jacket (I recommend my favorite, the Patagonia Nanopuff w/Hood) to a thick fleece (I have a Merino Wool Mountain Hardwear somethin). It also slips easily beneath a rainshell since it is VERY form fitting. I am not one to get cold, but living in Utah I wear this coat often in the winter time and have had it in weather as low as 14 F and snowing. Also if caught in a rainstorm, though not waterproof, it takes a beating before you get soaked.

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply