$12 for two Lightload Towels that fit in your pocket

12:26 p.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

http://www.eversave.com/orlando/lightload-towels-3?ref=453920944&key=2D22779349134F70D5DD39A1A9BB6E41&sourceid=126132&sdversion=14805_A


I've never used or seen one of these before but the look like a great item to lighten your load.  Don't think they would sub in for a pillow though.

These are the comments listed first.

"Everyone should carry them in their 10-essentials kit, and I'm preaching to the world! As a member of the Alpine Rescue Team and an avid outdoor person, there's an appreciation for a light, compact tool that serves multiple purposes." 

"These are just what the outdoor athlete on the go needs."

"I have been using the Lightload Towel and have found it to be very absorbent and user-friendly. I highly recommend it to anyone who backpacks or does any activities that require a Lightload."

12:47 p.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

http://www.eversave.com/orlando/lightload-towels-3?ref=453920944&key=2D22779349134F70D5DD39A1A9BB6E41&sourceid=126132&sdversion=14805_A


Ummmmm, looking for the words here. Okay, found em...

Why in the blue blazes would I want to carry a beach towel on trail? My MSR Packtowel also can fit in my pocket, is highly absorbent, blah blah blah...

Another question is how much does this thing weigh when wet?

I've never used or seen one of these before but the look like a great item to lighten your load.

There are just as effective(and much smaller) options out there. Granted the MSR Packtowel might be smaller but if ya wring it out it does the same job if used to dry one's self off.

Don't think they would sub in for a pillow though.

I would much rather use my stuff sack with my clothing in it. 

These are the comments listed first.

"Everyone should carry them in their 10-essentials kit, and I'm preaching to the world! As a member of the Alpine Rescue Team and an avid outdoor person, there's an appreciation for a light, compact tool that serves multiple purposes."

Uh-huh...

Let me follow that up with:

Gotta love endorsements...

"These are just what the outdoor athlete on the go needs."

I personally think I need cat hole insurance after the last video....

"I have been using the Lightload Towel and have found it to be very absorbent and user-friendly. I highly recommend it to anyone who backpacks or does any activities that require a Lightload."


I wonder just how light 36"x60" of absorbent fabric actually is after it has absorbed moisture. 

I'm going to get some toilet insurance. 

1:26 p.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Geez Rick...it's not like you couldn't cut it down to the size you want...and then get a dozen (or two dozen...) MSR-sized towels for the price of one.

But points for spirit and a funny video!

1:31 p.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

pillowthread said:

Geez Rick...it's not like you couldn't cut it down to the size you want...and then get a dozen (or two dozen...) MSR-sized towels for the price of one.

That is way too much work. Kinda like utilizing a potable water source. ;)

But points for spirit and a funny video!

I am having a blast with Billy Mays videos today. Don't ask. :p

Just having a bit o' fun. 

1:37 p.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I am having a blast with Billy Mays videos today. Don't ask. :p

Just having a bit o' fun. 

I'm just glad somebody else here is keen to the youtube poop videos...


So, then, jump on that lightload towel deal if you need enough towel material to make a tarp shelter, and go search "youtube poop" if you like ridiculous, non-sequitur-style humor...

3:18 p.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I use a cotton terry hand towel @ 4.5 oz.  Call me old school.  I like the feel, and consider it worth whatever the small weight offset is.

Ed 

8:06 p.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I just bought one at EMS for $8.00, so this is a good deal.

I have been using these backpacking. Very light, dries quickly, machine washable and can get many, many uses out of one. Eventually, it will start to tear, but it will still do the job.

My last one made it through the washing machine about 5 times, but came out ripped the last time. Now it's in the household rag pile, having another purpose. A lot of uses for $6 - $8.

They can always be cut up if it's to big.

8:32 p.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Bkuti said:

My last one made it through the washing machine about 5 times, but came out ripped the last time. Now it's in the household rag pile, having another purpose. A lot of uses for $6 - $8.

I have a problem here. For $6-$8 you can wash them around 5 times and they are pretty much a rag pile?

That isn't saying much if you hike alot and would be using them often other than you must replace them quite a bit. 

I have the MSR Pack Towels as well as Shamwows

I have had both for quite some time and they have been used extensively/washed many times(alot more than 5 times.)

Probably close to triple maybe even quadruple the 5 time life span you state above...

So with the being said are they really a "deal?"

I have had t-shirts that I bought at the Dollar Store for a buck that last longer than that. 

Just saying. 

10:25 p.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Bkuti said:

My last one made it through the washing machine about 5 times, but came out ripped the last time. Now it's in the household rag pile, having another purpose. A lot of uses for $6 - $8.

I have a problem here. For $6-$8 you can wash them around 5 times and they are pretty much a rag pile?

That isn't saying much if you hike alot and would be using them often other than you must replace them quite a bit. 

I have the MSR Pack Towels as well as Shamwows

I have had both for quite some time and they have been used extensively/washed many times(alot more than 5 times.)

Probably close to triple maybe even quadruple the 5 time life span you state above...

So with the being said are they really a "deal?"

I have had t-shirts that I bought at the Dollar Store for a buck that last longer than that. 

Just saying. 

 I see your point, but it's also about the use of it. I only really used it/washed it after swimming in a lake or a backcountry shower, even used it to lay out on (summer use). I have a Pack Towel that is smaller and for more general use. Drying my entire body with the Lightload is much better than a pack towel half the size. Besides, I find the MSR (of the same size) to be bulkier, and does not dry as quick.

Keep in mind that just because the towel ripped did not make it useless as a backcountry towel. I could have kept using it, but, one was there in the store and I didn't mind spending $8 on it. Descent rags can cost $ as well. I know I always need them around the house, garage, the shack, truck, etc. So you can still get your moneys worth, if you have the need and it works for you. Cut up, the Lightload can make many useful rags.

I also got one for my dog thats occasionally with me. I think it will work great with her as well (she can't resist a swamp, mud, water, etc).

I guess I'll see how long this new one lasts. Maybe hand washing or something different might make it not rip as quickly. Time will tell but I'm happy with them.

10:29 p.m. on August 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

If ya could keep us updated on how it holds up.

Honestly I am somewhat curious. With the packtowel I just ring them out. I actually can dry my body with a small one by doing this no problem. 

If ya wring the packtowel out good they dry fairly quickly in the warmer seasons from my experience(and freeze harder than a brick. ;)

September 24, 2014
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: Vertical compression sack Newer: Hip Belt pockets big enough for GPS?
All forums: Older: Bouldering Trailspace Sticker Adventure Newer: FS: Black Diamond Ascent Trekking Poles