2 forum posts
I'm sorry for using this forum out of the blue, and I hate newbies just as much as the next guys ;)... But still, I'm drowning in a sea of information, and I need some help.
- In June 2013 I will be visiting Iceland for a week. We'll do some camping and hiking. No backpacking though.
- May 2014-November 2014 I will be travelling around the world. I will carry a backpack, but most of the time I will be using a car, campervan... However, there will be a few days with quite a lot of backpack-carrying hours. We won't pass through freezing temperatures, but in the evenings, in some places it might get rather cold (60F) and rainy, however it'll also be superhot in some other areas, where it might rain as well.
With this in mind, I want to buy a decent jacket that can be used for BOTH these trips. I've been to several stores, but I just don't trust salesmen from major brands...
If you could point me in the right direction and give some good options to buy, I'd really appreciate it. I'm kind of on a budget, but I know this will cost a lot of money :).
A few questions as well
- Tri-climate jacket or layering with a fleece and a light 'rain jacket'
- waterproof membrane or coating? Gore-Tex necessary? Or Hyvent? or...?
- Should we worry about it losing waterproof quality if we wear it for example after the Iceland trip, and before the world-trip? That's a year of wearing it.
- I'm only familiar with Jack Wolfskin & The North Face. Which other brands are equally good (or better), but cost a bit less?
Thanks in advance!