iphone apps for waypoints

1:10 p.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

The company I work for has change phones and now I have a iphone.  I keep it with me all the time.  I don't really need a GPS program but would like a waypoint app so I can mark trail head or a spot on the trail.  I like just to get a bearing to set my compass and go.  I always carry map and compass just would like to get a app to play around with, and maybe free.

Thanks for any input.

2:05 p.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I have a droid, but most apps have versions for both. I like one simply called hiker, you can get a free or paid version. Its pretty easy to use, ive tried a bunch of them and this one works well without being too complicated.

2:23 p.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

thanks I will look for it and try it out.

2:40 p.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

I have the motion x GPS app for my iPhone and it fits all of my needs very well.

5:35 p.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
118 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

The maps app that comes with the iphone has that feature built in. It's called bookmarks. You use the button on the bottom/right of the window, to flip up the lower half of the "page" and press drop pin to put the pin where ever the center of the map is. Or, the icon on the bottom/left, looks like the ship from Asteroids, when pressed will bring the map to your current location & pressed twice will engage the compass, showing you the direction the phone is pointing.

In any case, press on the pin to show the banner, if it isn't already there. You'll see a white arrow (>) in a blue circle. Press this and at the bottom of the page, you have several options, click "add to bookmarks". Similarly, you can share that location with others via text or email.

Back on the map page, if you press "Directions" on the bottom, you have two search bars "Start" & "End". End, has a symbol, blue oval with an open book icon. Those are your bookmarks (waypoints).

Don't forget to quit the map app when your done, if your not using it while hiking as it eats the battery constantly tracking your current position.

A little more complex but with some nice features, I use Gaia GPS to chart my whole path & profile which I can upload later to my computer or the web. Also really eats the battery life but I now have the New Trent power cell I learned about from TheRambler.

6:44 p.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Love my New Trent battery pack! Glad to hear its working good for you.

7:58 p.m. on November 17, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

I'm guessing with one of these programs you would need to pay for a GPS app on the phone as well?

If so, can anyone tell me how well these GPS apps work? Do they pick up signal like any normal handheld GPS, or is it dependent on cell phone signal. 

If they work like any other hand held GPS I will just pay for the monthly subscription when I need it, cheaper than a $400 GPS.

2:47 a.m. on November 18, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

They work just like any other gps, by sat signal. Cell service has nothing to do with it atleast on my android.

11:30 a.m. on November 18, 2012 (EST)
118 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

iClimb,

The program is the app., you buy it once and that's it. No monthly fees beyond the phone payments...

The GPS receiver built into the iphone is fully independent from the phone's cell signal but if there is a signal available, it improves the accuracy and the time it takes to figure out your current position when you first turn it on.

This is a screen shot of a Theodolite App. I bought when I first got the phone. It's like a surveyors transit on steriods. I use it a little in my contracting/inspection work but it's fun to play with in the mountains.

image.jpg

And a track from a recent trip into the Catskills, uploaded from GPSr to google maps.

image.jpg

12:15 p.m. on November 18, 2012 (EST)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I did get GPS Hiker which I think is Hiker, waypoints or pins works great even has UTM which is great.  I used it on a small hike today, had a problem with the program crashing I did read they just did a upgrade and have big problems with iphone 5, but my phone is Iphone 4.  Thanks Jerseywreckdiver I will try this and see how it works.  I also using Trimble Outdoors but can't say anything about it.  GPS Hiker is a very good app if they can fix the crash problems.  I will also try iClimb, but I guess I can just use lat and long on the iphone compass to get bearing to the trail head from my compass.  Thanks for the input and I'll let everyone know what work and didn't work.

Mike

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply