About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Lets talk underware

10:17 p.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm no longer a spring chicken. Around a month ago I had a herna issue. Noting bad, but when I was younger I healed faster. Sadly some how I've gotten old.

Anyway I find myself in need of a herna belt. This is where the question of underware comes up. I have not worn any since the 70's. And I fear the belt will rub me the wrong way. I'm looking at some boxer briefs. Does anyone wear these? could you point me in a good pair that will wick? I realy want to hit the trails again.

Thanks

6:39 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

if you can tolerate merino wool, icebreaker makes nice but expensive boxer briefs.  if you want to save money, ex officio makes several kinds of wicking boxer briefs.  

7:19 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

look at the ex officios. they're supposed to be good. there are also the review pages on this site. you might try doing some research there.

10:27 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I had researched Ex-Officio about a year ago.  Bought one pair and wore them on several multiple night backpacking trips.

I now own four pair and wear them exclusively.  Comfortable fit, zero chaffing,

only con is the price..

11:05 a.m. on November 22, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

i/o bio has merino boxer briefs on sale.  I have not used them but I do have several of their tops and love them and to date they have held up well.

http://www.io-merino.com/shop-online

7:16 p.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
282 reviewer rep
273 forum posts

Duluth Trading has synthetic briefs and brief-cut knit boxers for a very reasonable price and excellent quality.

I'm still using my 4 pr. of Duofold polyeester briefs from 14 years ago, and yes, the elastic is beginning to go - but then parts of me are too.

8:45 p.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Duluth trading company makes some great products. I have some of their cargo pants, they are what carhart was twenty yrs ago before they started to reduce the quality of their materials.

12:00 a.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

There was a canvas supply store in Minneapolis that also sold a lot of great surplus.  They sold merino wool boxers from WWII for $5.  Stupid me, I only picked up a single pair.  Wish I had another ten pair.

7:27 a.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I've ordered 2 pair so far. One Under Armor, and Tarramar. I will be picking up a pair or two ex officos and maybe a smart wool. Thanks for all your help. I'll be on the trails again soon. :)

8:23 a.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I used to be a "tighty whitey" guy until I discovered Body Sensors by Terramar.

92% polyester 8% spandex. They wick and dry FAST

I guess you would call them boxer briefs - they extend down the thigh about 6" from the crotch and have eleastic in the leg bands - which is great because they will not ride up when you pull your pants up.

I absolutely love these things and now wear nothing else.

I wear 'em to work, I can hike in them, I can run in them and I can even change pants in public because people can't tell I'm in my underwear.

I picked them up for about $8 a pair at Sierra Trading Post

8:17 a.m. on December 4, 2012 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Thanks for all the replies. My belt came in and I feel myself again. Happy trails!

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply