About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Would you use this multi-tool?

4:14 p.m. on November 22, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hi Trailspace,

I am a new member and I have an invention that I wanted to get some feedback on.  It is a super sturdy multi-tool case for your iPhone that I have been developing for a few months.  I have pictures and video at my website which is in my profile and attached some pictures here. Check it out and let me know what changes/additions/modifications you think would make it an even better product, and if you think this would be something you would want to have with you!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

11:08 a.m. on November 23, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

One of my concerns would be water resistance. What if its pouring, would you still be able to use this tool or cleaning a fish. Could you clean it properly after something like that? Looks like a cool idea only im a droid fan.

11:32 a.m. on November 23, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

Is it April 1st already?

Really though, no. Hotdog's concerns echo mine: It looks too easy to mess up/break the smartphone, not to mention the cleaning of the tools.

9:32 p.m. on November 23, 2012 (EST)
1,347 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I go hiking to get away from cell phones and other gadgets, so personally I'm not interested.

The website looks like some kind of promotional one seeking backers. How does that work?

7:28 a.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
570 forum posts

Id be concerned about the knife deploying while I was on the phone. Looks like it would be easy to accidentally bump/ hold it the wrong way while on the phone and have a knife through your hand, or worse, your head. Also any torque in the knife would transfer the strain to the phone casing would it not?

8:36 a.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

hotdogman said:

One of my concerns would be water resistance. What if its pouring, would you still be able to use this tool or cleaning a fish. Could you clean it properly after something like that? Looks like a cool idea only im a droid fan.

Hi Hotdogman, the case is not made to be waterproof, although that may be a useful feature on the next revision - we wanted to keep it slim for every-day use which sacrifices some features (like making your iPhone waterproof). The knife is removable, so it can be thrown in the dishwasher to clean and sanitize after being used.

8:39 a.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Jake W said:

Id be concerned about the knife deploying while I was on the phone. Looks like it would be easy to accidentally bump/ hold it the wrong way while on the phone and have a knife through your hand, or worse, your head. Also any torque in the knife would transfer the strain to the phone casing would it not?

Jake W, the tools are all held in-place with pretty strong spring detents so they will not deploy on their own. Additionally the tools are completely enclosed in an aluminum housing which is strong enough to take all of the force from using the tools. We have tested the case and all of the tools in bending and torsion until failure, and the phone is not harmed. Worst case is you bend one of the hardened steel tools!  We wanted to make sure the phone was safe in all situations:)

8:43 a.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

peter1955 said:

I go hiking to get away from cell phones and other gadgets, so personally I'm not interested.

The website looks like some kind of promotional one seeking backers. How does that work?

Hi peter, I would like to bring this product into production, so I have it available for pre-order on a crowdfunding website. But always looking for more feedback from the community on how to make the product better/more useful to everyone!

12:49 p.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

I think it's a little rediculous...

12:54 p.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

Well, good luck with it! It's not my cup of tea, but I'm sure it's someones...

You're golden if you can get it on NOTCOT.org...seems like the market you'd want to cater to...

2:30 p.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I think you would be better of marketing it to a different group. There arent many dishwashers in the woods. So if thats your knife/tool you cant use it for fear of getting wet,doesnt seem very practical for the backwoods enviroment. Maybe a handy indoor kind of person would be interested.

10:02 a.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

Well what do you know...I wake up this morning, get on the internet, and the Taskone is on the front page of NOTCOT! (NOTCOT is my home page...) And on "Cyber Monday" no less...Congrats!

10:11 a.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

Not interested. Although I kind of like multifunctionalism, and have sometimes thought about an "iPhone extreme" with full GPS etc., some functions are best kept separate. As it is some of the functions on leatherman type tools are rather awkward to use compare to one-purpose versions because you can't grip the tool properly. I'll keep my (not-too-smart) phone in a Ziploc and my Swiss army knife in my pocket.

2:43 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,234 reviewer rep
5,182 forum posts

While I understand the attraction of things that serve multiple purposes, this looks to me like "Multitools Gone Wild!" As hinted at in the posts above, all too often, multitools turn out to suffer from the "Jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome. Looking at the pictures, the term "a solution in search of a problem" comes to mind.

To take one example, there is a reason why specialty knives come in a wide range of shapes and sizes. For cooking, there is a basic set of 4 knives that will do virtually everything you want to do in cooking. For whittling or carving generally, there is a variety of knives that do general tasks and a number of special designs that are far superior because of blade shape and length and handle design.

One problem I see is using the phone-knife for cooking, where you end up getting oils on it. Or for the stick-whittling you show in one photo, where tree sap gets on it. Holding a "credit card" shaped handle for most cutting tasks would be awkward at best.

The photos seem to show some screwdriver tools - many screw placements are in locations that the phone just would not fit in.

I was given a "rescue tool" a couple years ago that looks a lot like your widget (didn't have a cell phone, but did have knife blades, screwdriver tips, an LED, a compass, and several other "things"). It sits in the junk drawer.

I could go on, but basically, it looks to me as if this device creates more problems of usage than it solves. The previous posters have said enough - no need to add more.

So the answer is no, I would not buy it at any price, nor would I accept one as a gift (it would just clutter up the junk drawer more).

3:13 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

i would not use this.  i would be too concerned about damaging the phone while using the various tools.  for example, cutting and prying requires a certain amount of pressure and leverage; i would be concerned that the force associated with using this could crack the smart phone screen. 

i would also be concerned, as noted above, about getting foodstuff or other junk on the smart phone, similar to the comment above.

but if someone forgets and tries to get through airport security with one of these babies, would you please take video and send it to me?

:)

7:23 a.m. on November 27, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hi Everyone, thanks for the replies and feedback.  I appreciate it.  I think as most of you mentioned, this tools is probably not going to replace your standard multi-tool or kitchen knife on a camping trip. I also wouldn't hold it above a frying pan to cook my dinner (although we may add screen protection, in which case that would be less of a concern).  My intent for this tool was to be for those times when you want to have a minimal set of tools, but aren't going to carry your leatherman. The total case weight is only 96g ( vs 114g for an Otterbox defender w/belt clip), so not a feather but not the boat anchor that you may initially suspect.  Despite the many tools I wanted to make sure each tool was truly functional, and in fact they do all work for small to medium everyday tasks!

leadbelly, take a look at my stress test of the case on my website in my profile, it should answer your concern about prying with the case, you can put it through some pretty extreme situations and won't even scratch the phone at all!

If you're interested, I will be posting more stress test videos using my iPhone5 over the next few days, so check back at the website in my profile to see the new vids!

Thanks Trailspace community!

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply