bringing backpacking to the kitchen

6:42 p.m. on November 22, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

16 people, a decent-sized free range turkey.  carved the bird and popped the leg joints with the bark river knife i often take on trips.  so much sharper and more sturdy than the supposedly great german kitchen knives that it's amusing.  

12:31 p.m. on November 23, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,213 forum posts

Lead,

You have exposed one of the great myths of modern society that stainless steel makes the best knives.  The German ones are fine, but hard to sharpen.  Some people put them in the dishwasher where they really get knocked around and dull.

We have two sets of German knives out on the counter, but if I want to cut something like a roast or a turkey, I have a whole drawer of old carbon steel knives that are really sharp and very satisfying tools to work with.  Sure, they can rust and discolor if not cleaned immediately, but it is a small price to pay for being really sharp.  I find them at gun shows, garage sales, and rendezvous.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply