Scarp 2 for winter??

3:58 p.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
508 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I'm an experienced winter camper but my old, heavy Eureka dome tent is dead.

I'm thinking of getting a Scarp 2 with the ripstop inner tent. I'll modify it to use the crossing poled INSIDE the fly, as I have on my Tarptent Moment. This gives much better canopy support.

That said, is there anyone here who has used a Scarp 1 or 2 in winter? Pros? Cons?

3:19 a.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Eric, check on TLB, someone there may have one. I think Franco does or has least tested it since he works with Henry. He's a member here too, so if you search, you can get his email addy and contact him about it.

2:15 p.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
508 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Thanks Tom, I already PM'd Franco about it and he said my mod would work but that he personally didn't want to tinker with it.

Somewhere I recall some photos of a Scarp 1 or 2 under a snow load with the exterior crossing poles in place. It had a fair amount of sag, thus my plan for interior crossing poles.

P.S. what back country skis do you use and what are the dimensions?

Also what bindings & boots do you use?

Eric

2:32 p.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

I had a pair of Atomic Rainiers with Voile cable bindings and the release plates. I had a pair of Garmont Excursions, but I never could get them to fit right. I sold everything at the end of last winter. Last time I used them was up above Palm Springs and snowshoes would have been far better. I just bought a pair of Atlas 1225's.

I like skis, but two years ago, when I was in Yosemite and it snowed, the Rainiers were too narrow to float on the new snow and tow my sled. I wound up skiing back to the rental shop, getting a pair of snowshoes and using them to get my gear back to the road, then switched back to the skis.

3:20 p.m. on November 26, 2012 (EST)
508 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Tom,

I have two pair of backcountry skis:

1.) Atomic TM 22 skis @ 190 cm long and a 106mm shovel & 99 mm tail. They are my steep &/or deep skis. Good flotation and easier turning than the Asnes.

2.) Asnes Norwegian army skis (yes, white W grommet holes in the tips) 210 cm long and narrower than my Atomic skis.

Both have Voile release bindings that I use with either Scarpa T3 boots or old Vasque 3 pin leather boots. Also I have G3 climbing skins for both skis. And I have a homemade pulk with long and short wands for ski or snowshoe use.

Also I have 2 pair of snowshoes:

1.) 30" Atlas 700 series

2.) 30" MSR Lightning Ascent ((W/heel lifts) with add-on 6" tail extenders

So that's my winter over the snow gear. The MSR 'shoes are much better than the old Atlas 'shoes at gripping the steeps, especiall laterally when traversing steep slopes.

We should meet up for a winter trip this year. I'm a ski patroller with Avalanche 1 and Mountain Travel and Rescue 1 certifications.

Eric

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply