Casio Pro Trek 2500-1

2:57 p.m. on December 2, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Anyone out there have any feedback on this model(or the T/titanium?) I am still in search of a new wrist gizmo and the ProTrek 2500-1 seems like a pretty solid option combined with the solar power.

Here is the specific model I am looking at:

http://www.casio-usa.com/products/Watches/PRO_TREK/PRW2500-1/

Honestly, I am tired of the whole battery thing. 

Thanks everyone. 

8:07 p.m. on December 2, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

go for it. that thing has more crap on it than I could ever use. it even has a barometer! If you're in the market for a new wrist gizmo this one looks pretty solid. casio is a good quality maker of watches, so I think their gizmos are probably pretty solid, too. get one and write a review for the rest of us. 

8:35 p.m. on December 2, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I will probably order it Friday. After I put some use on it I will review it here. Should be a new challenge for me in regards to writing reviews being I am use to reviewing tents, hats, gloves, packs, blah blah blah. ;)

I was looking at the new Garmin Fenix. I have owned a few of these "wrist gizmos" over the years(Suunto, Highgear, Tech 40) but they all became a real pain in the butt when ya used the features and the batteries crapped out on a regular basis.

I have read that the Tough Solar seems to alleviate this. 

4:15 p.m. on December 3, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

provided you give it plenty of access to the sun and don't keep it wrapped up on your wrist all the time...I can see how going solar would alleviate your battery frustrations, it looks like that thing would eat a lot of them...remains to be seen how good their recheargeable battery is. what kind of return policy do they have? that might be worth looking into, just in case.

5:57 p.m. on December 3, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Trailjester said:

provided you give it plenty of access to the sun and don't keep it wrapped up on your wrist all the time...

I would typically keep attached to the harness on one of my various packs. This way I would be able to get an accurate temp reading and not a reading of my own body temp. 

I can see how going solar would alleviate your battery frustrations, it looks like that thing would eat a lot of them...remains to be seen how good their recheargeable battery is.

The watch(for a lack of better terms) will run for 5mos w/o a recharge. It really doesn't take much to charge the battery from experiences I have had with other Casio watches that utilize this tech.

what kind of return policy do they have?

That would probably be dependent upon the retailer and not necessarily the manufacturer. The watch itself has a 1yr warranty from Casio from my understanding. 

that might be worth looking into, just in case.

Yeah, I agree. I am a stickler when it comes to these types of things. I already know how to utilize the functions of the watch and I don't even own it yet lol. ;)

8:57 p.m. on December 3, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

image.jpg

Can't speak specifically to that model Rick. I have the 1500-V Pathfinder, I believe it is. Very similiar watch, specs, functions,etc.

It is one incredible watch. The altimeter is very accurate without even having calibrating it yet, (I've had it almost 2 years). This pic was taken not quite at the top of Mount Washington (1917 meters) so I would say its within a reasonable amount.

The temp reading does take a little while to get the correct reading, and even then I've found it slightly off. I usually have a thermometer on me though and not my main use for the watch.

Its automatically updates itself from the US atomic clock every day. Really impressive.

The BEST part of this watch is exactly what you mentioned. The solar charged battery. When I pulled it out of the box- battery was on high power. It has not once come off that reading. (You can see the battery life on the bottom in the pic, the three bars, right side being high power). If your concern is for an accurate temp reading, clipping on to the pack is the right idea, if you are doing that due to concerns about battery power, I wouldn't worry. Mine is always on my wrist, exposed to very little sunlight during winter, still high power. The watch shuts itself off when it isn't moved so it also saves batteries that way.

I wear this watch everyday, not just hiking. It has taken a beating hiking and I am a teacher so its constantly being pulled at by kids. No scratches, no issues. Highly recommended!

4:36 p.m. on December 4, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

one satisfied user. that kind of reinforces what I said about casio making solid stuff. good to know. if ever I'm in the market for a wrist gizmo I know the one to get!

8:29 p.m. on December 4, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I guess I had a lemon, mine failed to function completely three seperate times. It has been sent back for warranty/repair each time and after 6 months of this I just got a refund. Mine would just shut off and on randomly and the time and other settings would constantly drift about 50-60%. I may have just had a lemon, but they wouldn't give me a new one and just kept "fixing" it.

7:31 a.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So far I really like it. Review to come after I hammer on it for a bit.

002.jpg

9:31 p.m. on March 11, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

looking forward to the review!

10:47 p.m. on March 11, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah, it has been awhile since I wrote one. I do have some other gear I have to review as well. Gotta make some time and get on it. ;)

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply