DWR treated down

8:54 p.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

New DWR treatments for down like Down Tech and Dri Down promise far better resistance to a down sleeping bag's tendancy to gain body moisture over several nights on the trail.

Also it will be great for down garments used during higher physical activity.

So, am I one of just a few who think this is a great breakthrough or are we all waiting for the jury  of "First Adopters" to report in about teh performance of DWR treated down? 

4:38 p.m. on February 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

It is definitely promising, I just got a Brooks Range Mojave last week to test out.

I don't see any sleeping bags shipping yet that are light enough to replace the likes of a Western Mountaineering bag besides the Sierra Designs Cal range.

9:55 a.m. on February 11, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Winmag,

Here's an in-depth report I did for the TS Review Corps of the Sierra Designs Zissou with DriDown.

Short version: I really like the bag, and really appreciate the added water resistance and fast drying the treatment provides, but it isn't a magic solution. It can still get wet and make for a miserable night, or God forbid a dangerous one, if you don't keep it from getting saturated. 

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sierra-designs/zissou-30-lite/#review26198

1:52 p.m. on February 11, 2013 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Thanks Gonzan, I read it and saw the video. Very comprehensive review.

I have a WM Megalite that I had them overfill for me. With it's 800 fill down, even when in original condition before overfilling, it had more loft than the Zissou. That lack of loft in the Zissou concerns me.

After spending a 24 F. night on the PCT I decided on the overfill just to be safe. Now the bag looks like Bibendum the Michelin Man. Probably good to at least 20 F. now.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply