Seal Skinz waterproof gloves

1:10 a.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,262 forum posts

I've written here before about my propensity for getting cold hands, even in the summer when hiking in rain & holding my trekking poles.  While on the trail last summer, I had the notion that if I'd had some waterproof gloves, even if they didn't have a lot of insulating value, but kept my hands dry, then I would have been a whole lot more comfortable than I was. I did have some fleece gloves but the ones I brought (selected for light weight) turned out to be "less helpful than I would have liked".

So for this purpose I figured a waterproof but not winter-bulky glove might do the trick.  These Seal Skinz gloves seem like one option.  Their weight isn't listed, but based on the materials involved they should be fairly light.

Or this one, maybe even better, since it is Merino-lined, which to me seems warmer than synthetics (that's a topic for another thread :).

Any thoughts or experiences with Seal Skinz products?

4:52 a.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

My partner uses them for the same reason. Apparently they do the job but are not very dextrous. They are slightly like wearing industrial rubber gloves, though this is a pair from five years back.

I try not to use rubber/silicone grip palms with rubber-handled trekking poles because it's too much friction in total. Normally we have leather-palm power stretch with old waterproof overmitts but in the last five years I have never used my overmitts---I am one of those who finds wet gloves still warm and would rather swap out a spare pair.

We also have sealskins socks somewhere, very good for mountain biking, they have merino inside.

Jon

1:41 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

No matter what conventional glove you try the problem will be water running down your arms and into the glove.  Let the water work for you.  Try latex kitchen dish washing gloves.  They will not keep your hands dry; instead they perform like a scuba wet suit, and will trap the film of water your hands heat and keep that warmth from escaping.  Looks stupid, works very well. 

Ed

2:31 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

Ed, I've heard of people doing that with boots as well, a trash bag next to their skin then warm socks over it.  Sounds like a recipe for trench foot but I see how it could work.

6:47 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

seems to me they would be very warm gloves for the rain. should give good dexterity since they are five fingered gloves.

8:32 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Ed, I've heard of people doing that with boots as well, a trash bag next to their skin then warm socks over it.  Sounds like a recipe for trench foot but I see how it could work.

Jeff:

Indeed if you ke[t your feet in plastic bags you would get trench foot.  Using VBL techniques on your feet require removing the bags in camp and using foot wear that allows your dogs to air out and dry out.

Ed

9:49 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

I spend a fair bit of time with my hands in icy water (literally, these days -- March means pack ice and bergy bits), and I have to be able to pick up and handle tiny wet things. So I need warmth with maximum dexterity and grip. But I haven't yet found neoprene that works.

My best answer so far is a variation on Ed and Pathloser: thin wool liner gloves under nitrile gloves (tougher than latex, stretchier than rubber). Not tight enough to impair circulation, just snug enough to do small work. Rubber bands or hair elastics will keep water out if the wrists are loose, or I could even tape them on for serious immersion.

Then somewhat thicker, denser wool gloves over the waterproof layer. I might take off the outer gloves to do small work, but it's okay if they do get wet, I just wring them out and they still feel warm. I carry spare liners and nitriles, both light small things. And thick cosy fleece or wool mittens, for the walk home.

Neoprene might work for you, bheiser, replacing the two outer layers of my system. Probably with anything waterproof, a warm-when-wet and easily changed liner is a good idea.

Cold wet hands are no joy, hope you find a solution!

12:48 p.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Maybe try a pair of good ice climbing gloves. Mt Hardwear & Outdoor Research would be your best options.

5:45 p.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

I saw what looks to be a direct competitor to sealskinz called Dexshell at the outdoor adventure show recently.

http://www.dexshell.com/

My problem with this type of glove is that while my hand did stay dry the fabric on the outside of the glove absorbed tons of water making it floppy and heavy, furthermore if you move your hand too quickly it would splash water everywhere.

I've been thinking about this problem since you posted this question the last time. I came to two different solutions....

1) as jersey has said a pair of ice climbing gloves. Ice climbers require similiar properties- not overly warm, yet waterproof with extreme dexterity. My choice for ice climbing, although not cheap at all, are the OR Stormcells....

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/shop-by-sport/alpine-and-ice-climbing/gloves/alpine/stormcell-gloves.html

Super grippy palm, just the right amount of warmth, waterproof.

2) my second thought would be a pair of these.....

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/mitts.shtml

they would allow you to layer underneath as needed, and still completely waterproof.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply