Another "Which Tent" Thread

3:42 p.m. on March 31, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Hi,

I am looking for a 3 seasons, 2 person tent that I plan on using about 3 or 4 times a year to go car camping with. I have been doing a lot of research on this subject and have narrowed it down to 2 candidates, they are:

1) Eureka Apex 2XT   http://store.eurekatent.com/apex-2xt

2) Eureka Tambu 2   http://store.eurekatent.com/products/634678/Tambu_2

They are similar in size, the biggest difference that I noticed is that the Apex has (2) doors, (1) in each side. The Tambu has only (1) door, at the end. Both have a full fly.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these (2) tents? Would (1) be preferred over the other? Are there other tents that I should be looking at (within the same price range), other then these?

Thank you,

Tom

5:54 p.m. on March 31, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

look at other tents. these have fiberglass poles, a bad idea. you want aluminum poles. look at the kelty salida 2, there's also another thread about if your looking for a two person tent, check that link out.

6:56 p.m. on March 31, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

You know these are essentially back packing tents...

I bring that up because I see no reason to compromise on criteria such as headroom when selecting a tent for car camping.  Get something you can stand up in.  An old wall tent (aka cabin tent) should be available in that price range on Ebay.  Get one with vertical walls and it won't get as hot inside on sunny days, compared to dome and slant walled tents.  Wall tents are great family camping tents; lots of room to store gear by day, and plenty of room for everybody to sleep at night.  We bring a brick mason's tub and use it in the tent when taking baths - warm, out of the wind, and private.

Eureka makes several suitable tent models in this category.  I have owned my Eureka cabin tent since the 1970s. It has seen a bunch of use; the only repairs required were replacing tired bungie loops that capture the tent poles, and replacing a pole damaged in a big windstorm.  I would buy a cabin tent again in a heartbeat for car camping

Ed

cabin-tent03.jpg

7:31 p.m. on March 31, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Trailjester,

I am a member of REI and can get a discount on anything on their site, I can get the Kelty salida 2 for $127 Plus tax. I can also get the REI Passage 2 tent for the exact same price. They both have aluminum poles and the reviews are good for both. The REI Passage 2 is slightly larger and has (2) doors. Any opinion on the Passage 2?

whomeworry,

Thank you for the info in reference to a full size tent. That makes a lot of sense. However, I neglected to add in my original post that I would like to use this same tent for backpacking, sorry, my mistake. If I were to use this tent for car camping only, I would certainly look into a full size tent. thank you for the info !!

Thank both of you,

Tom

7:49 p.m. on March 31, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

I'm not familiar with these particular tents, sorry, but I'd probably go for the side door even in a one-door tent. So much easier to get in and out of, and usually much more usable vestibule space. Two doors will greatly improve quality of camp life for two people. And if you're solo, you have that much more flexibility in your choice of site, since you can use either. Happy trails in whatever you choose!

8:42 p.m. on March 31, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

If it were me i would choose alloy poles every time because they are stronger than glass and weigh less. That put out the 2 Eureka tents right off the bat.

I like the REI tent for it's versatile assembly with out the tent body, but not so much the one door, but it is a big door, never the less whom ever is on the deeper inside will have to climb over whom ever is closer to the door. The door is on the side and not an end...

So your last choice so far is the Kelty Salida 2 Tent. I have a Kelty Vortex II which is a older model but similar and I really like that tent for the 2 doors and the space under the rain fly when it is on. The Kelty weighs a full pound less and to me pounds matter.

Also I am not sure what being under green is like and no choices of yours were blue, but people just look bad under blue light... jus sayin...

That is another + for Kelty with gray tents which are light neutral.

Just the other day I got pics on my Kelty loaded here in my profile if you would care to look. While the Kelty was set up it snowed hard at about 3 inches in 30 minutes time. For that I came as close to losing the kelty as you can, since it wasn't made for that sort of abuse, but it stood it pretty well just the same. You will see if you look

4:17 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Thanks to EVERYONE for your suggestion/opinions in reference to my original post. I have been doing lots of research and I decided to go to REI this afternoon, talked to some of the sales associates, and after seeing, and even touching some of the tents that they have on display, I decided on the REI Passage 2 tent. It sells for $159. Since I am a member at REI, I was able to get a 20% discount that ends later this week. So, I got the tent for $127 + tax. Here is a link to the Passage 2:

http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent

I feel I got a good tent for a really good price. Again, thank you all for your input, it made the decision easier.

Tom

6:25 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

When you set it up some place to check it out a back yard maybe? Which you should to get it checked out, as little things like stakes often are not the best and will bend over with a light shove by hand overly easy, get some pics. Don't just take it camping far from stores to check it out.

Not very long ago i bought a used winter seasons tent and have been checking it out since i got it sleeping in it on snow, checking out how it is when it is snowing, and today Oh Boy did it ever rain.

I was working on another project so i didn't get to see where the slight leak is, but it didn't leak much and had i been pinned down on a mt somewhere I would not have suffered a bit.

When the weather turns here and I can dry this tent well I will take it down and later in summer hot it with a hose to look for the leak. No doubt a seam leak, where water can get thru stitching.

I have questions about your new tent too under terms of how you set up the rain fly with the foot print and not using the tent body. I liked that idea a lot but I have no idea how it's done.

Good luck and let us know.

Bill

7:52 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I think the main difference would be weight. the passage 2 would be a heavier tent, would it not? if you're going to use it for backpacking as well, you want the lighter of the two.

8:25 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Trailjester said:

I think the main difference would be weight. the passage 2 would be a heavier tent, would it not? if you're going to use it for backpacking as well, you want the lighter of the two.

According to book specs the Kelty weighs about 1 pound less than the REI passage 2.  Neither one is ultra lite, but both are pretty rugged I would guess.

My Kelty Vortex II is rugged enough as a 3 season tent. The REI will teach him a few lessons and leave room to grow. 

There is no perfect tent, and that is what makes each one fun. 

If kelty hadn't left dead end pole tubes, I would think he was nuts for going with clips, but almost no one makes tents that way as far as i know now.

I hope that idea comes back sooner than later myself. Slipping in 2 poles from one end only made set up fast. It was possible to throw on the rain fly before you did if it was raining.

Can't do that with these clips.

10:42 p.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
11 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

REI is good for returns for whatever reason. I just bought a REI Passge 2 that I will return, because down here in the Andes of Argentina, the winds blow frequently and strong. And this tent is NOT good in the strong winds. I am looking for a tent that handles much better in strong winds, and that will likely require a 3 pole, heavier tent, in a rounder, dome like shape. But the tent was very easy to set up, pack and carry, if you don't need a tent for the real wilds..... just sayin....

7:24 a.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lodge Pole said:

I have questions about your new tent too under terms of how you set up the rain fly with the foot print and not using the tent body. I liked that idea a lot but I have no idea how it's done.

Lodge Pole, 

I know you were speaking in regards  to another individuals tent but here are 2 that I have owned(sold the Big Agnes:) 

(Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1:)
2011-05-13_13-47-57_873.jpg
2011-05-13_13-47-10_29.jpg

(Hilleberg Soulo:)

image.jpg

The nice thing about the Soulo is that you do not have to remove the footprint regardless of whether the inner is in it or not and you can also remove the inner w/o removing the footprint and vice versa. 

The footprint also extends and covers the vestibule floor as well.

If you would like to know how this is done on either tent I get a little more in depth in my reviews of both models which I have linked through the tent models above the photos.

This can also be done with the Hilleberg Anjan as well(I just didn't have the footprint at the time of this photo):

(Hilleberg Anjan 2:) 

image.jpg

10:31 a.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Thank s Rick. I had time to check out the Anjan 2, but quickly. How did you get to test it with out buying?

I may have missed seeing, but what is it like under green light?

DSC08419web.jpg

I took this recently under my new Kelty tarp. There is a album for it, and it is not the cool gray I was expecting. The cool gray I was expecting is the same as the cool gray the Vortex II is and i have a album here for that too.

This picture is the light, and since we all know red and blue, olive drab, and what LL Bean snow slippers look like I would say these colors are true.

Blue tents are the worst offenders IMO, but i wonder about green. This color thing probably seems silly, since most people only consider tents as shelter from rain. wind bugs and snow.

But here in NH in the White Mts you can get pinned down in any season for all of this except for bugs.

I have seen snow in June, July, and August... That is a little rare but it happens.

I will catch up on the solo rigs later. 2 and 3 person tents are more my speed since my wife has become my hiking companion.

I can't wait to read on Big Agnes qualities.

9:29 p.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lodge Pole said:

How did you get to test it with out buying?

I tested the Anjan 2 for the Trailspace Review Corps. I still have it in storage and am waiting til it gets a little warmer so I can hammer on it a bit so I can write a follow-up to the review I did on it. 

I may have missed seeing, but what is it like under green light?

Actually it isn't all that bad. The fabric does let a bit of light through. The material is somewhat "transparent" to a degree as you can see both zipper toggles in the photo below:

image.jpg

The inners on Hilleberg tents are what makes them "cheery" being they are a standard bright yellow:

(Anjan 2)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

(Soulo)

Feb-2012-LHHT-018.jpg
image.jpg

If bright is one's preference their tents can also be had with a red outer but I like to blend in personally.

I have also seen models with a tan outer but I am not sure if this is an option for all models or just a select few.  

10:06 p.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

I am not sure what's up, but a post I made with pics just went missing, and i get logged out each time this happens.

I was saying I see a yellow cast 2 pictures up on flesh and gear which is fine. Yellow light is cheery on a other wise dreary cold day.

Green light may be a concern and i know blue light is. I am not the only one who thinks so.

In the post above Rich you show the soulo with out the inner tent, and you kinda have a rats nest effect there too if you don't mind my sayin'

LOL Not that I myself would be neat ;-) But i gotta ID which picture i mean some how and that's my way.

I had asked if maybe sometime you might get a few shots inside under a variety of lighting with the green rain cover over head.

Because i get bumped off and have to log in I will try and post a few pic in my next posting so i don't lose the text again. I hunt and peck to type with just 2 fingers, so when it all goes poof it isn't a great feeling.

10:08 p.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

DSC08910web.jpg

Above you can see it rained, but the yellow light is cherry inside this tent. The colors are not close to true though. The bivey sack on the left is purple, the tent's rear fly is the same maroon as the front, but seems reddish pink. There is a Early Winter's red sleeping bag in the center and oh boy is ut ever red in this shot. The camo bivey is also distorted in color, and pinned down in there in a hard rain is doable and cheery..
DSC08603web.jpg

This is the vortex II which allows light to be neutral, but is a different color material than the tarp below which i already showed it was color neutral.
DSC08416web.jpg

No everyone would care about color neutral, but many people do.

DSC08415web.jpg

This is more the color of the tarp.. Clearly not the cool gray the vortex is.

10:18 p.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

I got bumped off again to log in.. How and where can i address that problem. This happens when I try to add pictures. Which room or to whom do I seek?

10:24 p.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Ricjk I went to your pic thinking i was going to get e review in the BG tent. I can tell you that one is color neutral enough, but a tad tight for 2 and in pic 707 anyone in the general area would know what any one was up to ;-) ring ring click click know what I mean? LOL

In my particular case that indeed would be a bad visual..

But over all how do you like that tent for quality?

10:29 p.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Rick I went to your pic thinking i was going to get e review in the BG tent. I can tell you that one is color neutral enough, but a tad tight for 2 and in pic 707 anyone in the general area would know what any one was up to ;-) ring ring click click know what I mean? LOL

In my particular case that indeed would be a bad visual..

But over all how do you like that tent for quality?

At EMS I was looking at the Copper Spur UL 2 which was in the bag, and i wasn't able to see it set up.

This same company has a UL (I assume ultra light) that sets up with trecking poles as well, so it is a super UL I guess. Something like that might suit me if the UL type tents are pretty well water tight.

My best guess is this UL type tent is good for not so many years as older tents, but I might be wrong. Time is sure to tell.

6:27 a.m. on April 5, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lodge Pole said:

I got bumped off again to log in.. How and where can i address that problem. This happens when I try to add pictures. Which room or to whom do I seek?

I am not quite sure why this is happening but I will do my best to find out for ya. 

I am going to get in touch with Dave and see what he thinks might be going on. 

If you would like you can start a thread in the Feedback forum and I/we will post there what we figure out(in case others are experiencing this as well.)

I will get back to ya later today in regards to your questions. I have to get out the door.

Work is a callin. ;)

12:47 p.m. on April 5, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

Check out my recomendation under the other Gear Selection post " 3 person tent for 2 people and 2 dogs"

8:57 p.m. on April 10, 2013 (EDT)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

LOVE my Tarptent Scarp 2 with the ripstop interior. But you can get it with a mesh interior if you like.

2 doors and 2 nice vestibules for pack storage away from the doors. Very roomy for two and light for a 2 person tent.

Optional crossing poles are great for high winds and heavy snow loads.

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply