Need complete 2-person cook set WITH bail handle.

8:02 p.m. on April 2, 2013 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

My wife and I are planning some extended backpacking trips this year and we'd like to modernize our cookware set. Our existing set is made up of bits and pieces that have served well over the years, especially for canoe-tripping, but for backpacking I'd like to find something complete, light, compact, with nesting components.  Because we like to cook over open fires without a grill whenever possible, we like bail handles on our pots.
The closest thing I've been able to find is the MSR Quick System 2.

I'd be thrilled with this or something similar because it has a pot (2 in fact) with a strainer lid, good deep plates, and insulated mugs with lids. Unfortunately, there's no bail handle on the pots and there are melt-able components on the lid and on the bracket where the pot handle attaches to the pot, making this kit unsuitable for use over an open fire.

Does anyone know of a comparable kit that has a bail handle on the pot and no melt-able parts on the pot? I welcome your suggestions.

Failing that, does anyone have some good, clear, and simple instructions on how to attach a bail handle to a steel, anodized aluminum, or titanium pot? If I can't find the kit I need I may just affix a bail handle myself, but I fear ruining an expensive pot. I invite those who've done this successfully to weigh in.

My thanks,
- Martin

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply