Lightweight 3-Season backpacking tent for photography

4:48 p.m. on April 16, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I've been looking around at variety of different tents for backpacking and I am looking for a 2 person, 3-season tent that can handle the west coast (Lots of rain for 3.5 of 4 seasons) and a variety of terrain in $400 range.

I'm wanting to use the tent for going on photography treks, so being light weight and weather durable are pretty well musts. I'm hoping I can get some help pointing me in the right direction for a tent that will be suitable.

Cheers,

Josh

6:00 p.m. on April 16, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

What is light weight ,in pounds, to you ?

6:54 p.m. on April 16, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I was hoping for no more than 4lbs.

8:02 p.m. on April 16, 2013 (EDT)
RETAILER
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Are you taking Trekking poles?

8:06 p.m. on April 16, 2013 (EDT)
RETAILER
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

If you are using trekking poles take a look at the Hilleberg Rajd. It is 2 pounds 2 ounces. It is one of the toughest shelters I have ever used.

It can easily be used 4 seasons.

Cheers

9:31 p.m. on April 16, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I'm not sure, I probably won't use trekking poles first time round and if it becomes necessary I will purchase a pair; but I will look into that tent. Thanks.

12:11 a.m. on April 17, 2013 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

There are many lightweight tents around. I would look at Tarptent, Lightheart, Terra Nova (UK), Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, REI, Big Agnes and Big Sky for starters.Tents that use trekking poles, like Tarptent or Lightheart are obviously lighter by the weight of the poles.

These light tents tend to be more fragile than others, but are suitable for mild weather. Generally, these are not winter tents, so unless you are well experienced in winter conditions, I wouldn't recommend one of them. My winter tent weighs about 8 pounds and is suitable for almost any winter conditions.

7:15 p.m. on April 17, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

With photo gear obviously keeping your stuff dry is important as well as having some room to move around to store it inside the inner tent for safety and cleaning/maintenance.( I sold cameras for 30 years)

If you are asking for a double just for that extra room I would suggest the Tarptent Scarp 1 instead, it is big enough for that. On the other hand if you do hike with another person the Scarp 2 is a large double still under 4 lbs. This is with pole, stakes and stuff sack. Add two guylines and two stakes and you are ready to go.  (it does not take trekking poles...)

A good point with the Scarps is that you set them up inner and fly together so you don't get the inside wet setting it up in the rain. You also have a protected entry point and vestibule, so no rain on your floor. If you then decide to use it when it can snow more than a few inches, you can add external cross poles. Those will take a decent amount of snow. Franco

(I look after TT in Australia)

Scarp 1

scarp1_71.jpg

About 38 oz. The 2 is about 1/3rd larger

http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

7:38 p.m. on April 17, 2013 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

The Scarp might be what you are looking for. With the rains in the PNW an outer first is important to keeping gear dry. I picked up a Wild Country Duolite by Tera Nova for our winters here and I love it.

2:55 p.m. on April 18, 2013 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Heh, hard to beat Tarp Tents!

I was going to recommend the TT Rainbow or Double Rainbow -

The Double Rainbow is a well loved tent and should have plenty of room for ya, is about 41 ounces or so, and is cheaper than even the one person Scarp!

But then, my solo tent is the TT two person Squall 2, which is a two person tent with lots of room for one person and gear at only about 34 ounces and 250 bucks. It isn't a tent for use in snow though, The Scarp or Rainbow are no doubt sturdier tents.    

4:09 p.m. on April 18, 2013 (EDT)
RETAILER
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I also like the Big Agnes Scout ul 2

Here is a link to a video review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8wq4WNZ7i4

Or the Tarptent Raindow is another great option.

1:23 a.m. on April 19, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. Having a place to keep camera gear is definitely among the main reasons why I am looking at a 2 person. I've been looking at the tarp tents today and I am certainly leaning in that direction at the moment.

Right now I am not looking for a tent for winter conditions, though it's likely I will be in the future.

8:29 p.m. on April 22, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I think I have found the tent I will purchase, I'm still planning on going and taking a look at it in person first though.

I've decided to go with Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. The reasons are because it weighs in at around 3lbs; has enough room for sleeping and gear (though I still want to see this in person to be sure); has good reviews all over the internet; and the fact that there is a retailer in Vancouver that carries this tent was also a reason for the decision.

I have not made a purchase yet and am still very interested in the Scarp from Tarptent, but since I can't find anywhere that will sell them or bring one in I am hesitant to buy one.

Cheers

1:12 a.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Tarptents are sold directly by tarptent.com

10:49 a.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I think that the Copper Spur will be a fine tent for the summer in the PNW. I use a modified Peak One Cobra. But you will need something more beefy in the winter months.

I still like that Tarp Tent too.

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply