question about columbia/stoic sleeping bags

5:07 a.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

hi all! this is my first post here.

i've been checking out sleeping bags for my upcoming trek in nepal and i've narrowed it down to these 2 options:

columbia moonstone 15f (800 fill down)

stoic somnus 15f (850 fill down)

(for some reason i can't post links to them)

they have similar specs and i can get either of them at around the same price (about $250).

my question is: is one significantly better than the other? i'm specifically worried about the columbia bag which has virtually no reviews anywhere.

thanks very much for any help!

10:12 a.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
203 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

I have a Stoic Somnus 15 degree sleeping bag and posted a review on it here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/stoic/somnus-15/

I have been very happy with the bag, and find it is a good value for the money.  Also, it will compress down into a one size smaller stuff sack than the stuff sack that comes with the bag from Backcoutry.  Since my review, I've replaced the orginal stuff sack with a sil-nylon version that's just a bit smaller.

You should be happy with the Stoic bag on your trip.  I don't know anyting about the Columbia bag.

Mike

1:18 p.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hey mike, thanks for the helpful reply! Could you perhaps recall the dimensions/volume of the compression sack that you use?

10:01 p.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
203 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

It's a medium granite gear. 

8:21 p.m. on April 26, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,159 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

I actually own the Columbia Moonstone 32.  I'm taking it on its maiden voyage this weekend camping close to 10k.  Like the 15 degree version, it contains 800FP down but a lot less loft/down of course.

Testing it in the backyard on 60 degree nights, I found it very warm.  The real test will be this weekend and an official review of it next week.

4:04 p.m. on April 27, 2013 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

hey mangus,

i eventually opted for the moonstone bag, but its going to be a while before i can test it. i'd love to hear your thoughts after you test yours, specifically about the omni-heat lining.

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply