gregory z40? or something else?

10:44 p.m. on June 13, 2013 (EDT)
145 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

i'm looking for a day pack that will also work for a couple day backpacking trip. i pack fairly light (roughly 20 ish lbs if i had to guess) for extended trips, but i want to be comfortable when carrying loads for those high milage days. on my day hikes i normally go off into the wilderness where there are no trails, so i want something that's going to be durable and snug when need be. from all my research, the best option i've come up with is the gregory z40. the only negative i can find is that it weighs 3lbs 4 oz, which isn't really all that bad considering the rumored durrability and comfort. does any one else know of any other/better options? or have any input on the gregory z40? any information will be greatly appreciated,, thanks!

2:19 a.m. on June 14, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

there are many backpacks in that range.  i would try a number of them on, figure out what fits best, then worry about the bells and whistles later.  i haven't tried the z40, but i'm happy with gregory's larger and heavier baltoro.  

osprey has a number of backpacks in the general range you are looking at.  i recently reviewed a lowe alpine backpack, the airzone pro 45:55, which weighs about the same and is also made from a pretty durable material for a backpack that light.  if you crave something lighter weight, granite gear makes some great backpacks in the 2-3 pound range, and ULA Equipment has a great rep for lighter weight backpacks.    

8:16 a.m. on June 14, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
631 reviewer rep
142 forum posts

I use a Mountain Hardwear Fluid 32 (which is actually 35L if you get size M/L), and only weighs 2lb1oz. Not as big as the z40, but I usually don't need more than the 35L, the trade off is its fairly light. The construction however appears fairly durable, with no shortage of external attachment points to make up for that loss of 5L storage..... but usually when you go lighter you trade off some durability.

Like mentioned by Andrew f., there are many packs in that range, I would just go try a few on.

9:11 a.m. on June 15, 2013 (EDT)
145 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

thanks for the advise! i actually went to the local ems store to check out what bags they had there, and they had the pack i was interested in along with a few other brands of the same size. i tried out an osprey pack with the same type of breathable trampolene style back, but the frame seemed to only be a piece of wire running around the outside of the pack. if this were to bend, break, or rip along this seam, the pack would be very uncomfortable, if not useless. i also tried out a few ems brand packs and 2 other brands, but they didn't seem to have the same quality or features as the gregory. the gregory was pretty rugged feeling, and the material feels pretty good all around. no cheap plastic sewn in anywhere that i can find. it was also 20% off! when i got it home and took all of my gear out of my old pack and put it in my new gregory pack, the 400 more cubic inches that i just bought add up to alot more space than what i was expecting. i still have 1/2 a bag left for food, water & clothes, and it compresses what i do have in it very well so that it doesn't awkwardly deflated. the only negative to be found so far is that the hip pouch pockets seem to be too small for any real use, but i don't believe i ever really used them on any other pack that i carry. over all i have to say i'm very pleased with this pack on day 1.

2:34 p.m. on June 15, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

now to test it in the field. that's the real test. how comfy will it feel after ten miles? or twenty? maybe you could write a review on this pack after you've had it in the field.

4:40 p.m. on June 15, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
631 reviewer rep
142 forum posts

I hope it works out great for you!

I use those little pockets for cell phone, trail mix, or even storing liner/windproof gloves. Just the right size for it.

5:00 p.m. on June 15, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

remember to remove any snacks from those hip belt pockets at night.  i had a rodent chew through the mesh and eat part of a clif bar i left in one of those.  

8:07 a.m. on June 16, 2013 (EDT)
145 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

thanks for the pocket tips! i'll deffinately be doing a review of it in a couple months (once i get 50-100 miles on it). i carried it for about 2 hours yesterday with all my gear, and a few added items for some additional weight, and the pack felt amazing. and once again, the construction seems rock solid. i can't wait to start hauling it around the game lands this week.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply