About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

The ultimate Swiss Army knife

10:24 p.m. on July 14, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,939 forum posts

Wenger-16999-Swiss-Army-Knife-Giant.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DZTJRQ/?tag=oddeesidebar-20

Here's the knife for the person who wants it all! :)

10:27 p.m. on July 14, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Uh oh, not this thing again lol. 

11:38 p.m. on July 14, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,012 forum posts

Why not just bring a wheeled tool box?

12:11 a.m. on July 15, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,953 reviewer rep
390 forum posts

Ironically, I stumbled upon this doing a little SAK shopping of my own the other night, and my girlfriend and I were laughing at the sheer impracticality (and expense) of this thing.

And why in heck did they include a Wenger-style pair of pliers when they already have a design that folds neatly into the knife? Surely, there're bigger problems than that, but - heck - you could practically spring for a garage full of Craftsman hand tools for the price of this. 

SAK's are all about economy, and bringing what you need, nothing more.

I recently reviewed the Victorinox Rucksack SAK, and that knife is a perfect example of providing the essential functions a backpacker needs, and no more than that. 

Although I think Rick summed-up my sentiments before I'd the chance to write them myself. :)

12:58 a.m. on July 15, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
138 forum posts

I wish they had a version without the corkscrew bottle opener.

totally redundant for me.

Just right  otherwise.

8:12 a.m. on July 15, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,723 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

Why WOULDN'T I want to have that with me?

It's only 7 pounds.

It has a toothpick.

It's reasonably priced.

And if you read the comments section, you will learn all kinds of things about it.

8:46 p.m. on July 16, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
138 forum posts

Blast! I forgot about the toothpick. 

OK, now I like it again.

8:27 p.m. on July 17, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

my baby SAK has a toothpick and tweezers...good for getting those nasty ticks. I think this one is a little rediculous, though. Is it real? this thing has three sets of pliers!

9:32 p.m. on July 17, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The original intended purpose of this model was for it to be more of a collector's piece as opposed to being one's go-to pocket knife.

We had a discussion in regards to this model sometime back.

6:05 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,723 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

Trailjester said:

my baby SAK has a toothpick and tweezers...good for getting those nasty ticks. I think this one is a little rediculous, though. Is it real? this thing has three sets of pliers!

Over the July 4 weekend, I had two ticks where no man ever wants to have ticks. Normally I just pull them off and continue on, but one of these things was buried in so deep in a nether region I BARELY got it out with tweezers.

I kept thinking..."If I don't get this thing out, I'm going to have to go to an ER. Please, God, spare me that humiliation!"

3:57 a.m. on July 19, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

yeah, you gotta deal with ticks in the nether regions yourself....

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply