New boots

10:33 p.m. on July 17, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Okay, I'm stuck. My old hiking boots I had for years finally bit the dust and I couldn't get the resoles to stick. I wore Danners for years (10 to be exact) and before that I had Asolos (10 to be exact. My boots apparently give me a decade apiece).

So, I wore backpacking boots for years for everything - backpacking, day hiking, etc. But now I'm thinking I'd like to get something lighter but I can't decide if I want to spend the money on backpacking boots and day hikers or look for something in between. Blah blah blah.

I have a friend who swears up and down on Keens. I was looking at the Keen Targhee II mid and I like those. Then I started wondering about durability. I checked out their Erickson PCD but I'm not sure I like the sole.

Any suggestions for a good in between boot?

11:46 p.m. on July 17, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I personally cannot stand my Keens(Oregon PCTs.) I put them through the ringer and they pretty much were toast after one 70 mile trip. Granted it is very rocky where I go but nevertheless...

This was after one trip:

Keen-009.jpg

There is a lot more sole and upper damage to them now as well as a lace hook broke off of the boots. 

They are now for cutting grass only. 

I have been exploring options and am quite fond of La Sportiva. I own the Pamir, Quantums, and am on the fence in regards to purchasing 2 more pairs in their line-up. 

I am eventually going to get the Lhotse GTX for my winter trips(crampon & snowshoe use under heavy packloads,) and I am highly considering the Hyper Mid GTX for a lighter late spring through early fall alternative for lighter packloads and dayhikes. 

Everything I have read so far on the Hyper Mid is extremely positive. 

Ya may want to check them out if you are truly going for a lighter weight option. 

Here are a few links to a bit of feedback on the Hyper Mids from 2 separate sites. 

(The Big Outside:)

http://thebigoutside.com/gear-review-la-sportiva-hyper-mid-gtx-boots/

(Seattle Backpackers Mag:)

http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/la-sportiva-hyper-mid-gtx-review/

This model is still somewhat new and there has not been a review of it done here as of yet. 

7:24 a.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
203 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

Well you liked both your Danner's and your Asolo's.  Both companies make lighter boots.  If you have tried those, what didn't you like?  For lighter weight, I like Solomons, which you can get in anything from a trail runner to a backpacking boot. Vasque also makes some good ones.  Merril sometimes gets a bad rap, but many folks are happy with them as well.

9:11 a.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Yeah I'm not saying anything to this girl because we just started dating and she's the first woman I've met that is into the outdoors as much as me.

But based upon me studying them they almost look like a half step above Timberlands to me: I just don't see getting a lot of mileage.

10:50 a.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Well based upon what Mike suggested, I went back and looked at the Danner's. I'm really liking the Danner 452 GTX. I'm hearing some bad reviews on durability, though.

But I'm thinking if you go with any lightweight hiker that's not as sturdy as my old Mountain Light II's they'll probably wear out quicker.

Based on the reviews I've read, it looks light enough to hit on day hikes, but sturdy enough for my weak ankles.

11:25 a.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

I suggest taking a look at Zamberlan. They are my goto company until the end of time now, or until they give me a reason to not use them. They fit me perfectly, are extremely comfortable, and I have gotten years and years of use from my current pair of Zamberlan Trekker RRs.

They have all different models, all leather, goretex, ventillated, etc. I use the all leather ones personally.

11:28 a.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

the mountain light has been around forever.  either get them professionally resoled (if the midsole isn't so destroyed that it won't work) or get a new pair.  i guarantee that a lighter pair won't last as long. 

12:50 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I had them resoled three times and they just kept coming unglued when I stepped in water. I was using a local shoe soler.

Stupid me threw them away about four months ago. Now looking back I should have called Danner and asked them about resoleing or did some more research in the Internet. I shouldn't have just trusted a local shoe guy whose clientele is fixing shoes to go to church in.

1:02 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

It pays to use someone who specializes in certain types of footwear.

I know Dinner can recondition well worn footwear from personal experience with my work boots.

Another name that I can highly recommend is Dave Page.

If anyone can add more life to wrecked hiking, backpacking, and mountaineering boots he is that man.

Granted you may pay a lil more for his services compared to your local cobbler but knowing the job will be done right is well worth the cost IMHO.

1:10 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Yep. But it still would have been cheaper than me going out and spending the dime I'm going to now on a new pair I'll have to break in again.

I'm starting to think of just going back to the Mountain Lights. It's easy to get caught up in all the new gimmicks and marketing for all these new boots coming out. But the bottom line is what works works. Those Danners were the best boots I ever had in my life. I almost cried when I threw them out. I just remembered all the adventures they took me on.

One story in particular that I'm thinking about now is a backpack I took in the snow up in the Smokies three years ago. I got to the shelter and there was a guy up there who started talking about how I had good boots. Then he started making a point of how better his one year old Merrell's were because they had this and they had that.

I looked at him and said, "They got me here, my feet are dry and I don't have any blisters. So looks like mine worked too didn't they?"

Shut him right up. But they were the best boots I ever owned for my wide feet.

3:53 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Rocklion said:

Yep. But it still would have been cheaper than me going out and spending the dime I'm going to now on a new pair I'll have to break in again.

With ya on this one 100%. The break-in process can be somewhat painful with a new stiff pair of boots.

I'm starting to think of just going back to the Mountain Lights.

If it works for you why change it?

It's easy to get caught up in all the new gimmicks and marketing for all these new boots coming out.

I am old school. No membranes in my backpacking boots(for late spring-early fall.) As of yet I have not gone the membrane route for winter but that may change here shortly. Then again my Scarpa SL M3s did just fine during the colder seasons but I also maintained them. 

But the bottom line is what works works. Those Danners were the best boots I ever had in my life. I almost cried when I threw them out. I just remembered all the adventures they took me on.

Went through the same thing when the bone structure in my feet decided to relax. Put my Scarpas on one day and never did again. Great boot and was very sad that they no longer worked for me. 

One story in particular that I'm thinking about now is a backpack I took in the snow up in the Smokies three years ago. I got to the shelter and there was a guy up there who started talking about how I had good boots. Then he started making a point of how better his one year old Merrell's were because they had this and they had that.

I ran into a gentleman who ended up being from the same area as me on my last trip and he said that he hated newer Merrel's. His 10+ yr old boots were many times greater than the newer offerings available from his experiences. Seems to me that sometimes a company comes up with a good design only to change it later down the road which more times than not results in a less than admirable product. 

I just don't understand why companies come up with a great product only to redesign it later down the road and sometimes making it worse.

...or for that matter completely discontinuing the model all together. 

I looked at him and said, "They got me here, my feet are dry and I don't have any blisters. So looks like mine worked too didn't they?"

Lol, can't really argue that point. 

Shut him right up. But they were the best boots I ever owned for my wide feet.

4:35 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

i would stick with what fits.  for what it's worth, Limmer boots are available in wide and are built to last.  (my feet are e width at the ball of the foot).  mine are several years old and probably won't need replacing for a long, long time. 

3:53 a.m. on July 19, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

I had asolos for about ten years and never had a problem with them. I recently retired them and went with lowas. working good so far but I have yet to put serious mileage on them. I'm thinking about getting some asolo 520 non goretex just because I like a full grain leather boot. the lowas are newbuck. any feedback/thoughts?     

11:19 a.m. on July 19, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Trailjester said:

I had asolos for about ten years and never had a problem with them. I recently retired them and went with lowas. working good so far but I have yet to put serious mileage on them. I'm thinking about getting some asolo 520 non goretex just because I like a full grain leather boot. the lowas are newbuck. any feedback/thoughts?     

In regards to the 520s... Keep in mind that this model can be tricky to have resoled being there are not many that can do it properly(or do it at all for that matter.)

The TPS(Triple Power Structure) sole requires a bit of finesse(and experience.)

This would weigh heavily on my mind if I was in the market for a new pair of boots. They are not cheap, and I would personally expect a few resoles from them. 

Also you may want to look at this thread if you are considering the 520s...

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/147580.html I am not slamming the 520s just giving you a heads up. I owned a pair some time back. 

They didn't fit as well as I liked so they are no longer in my stable. 

7:22 p.m. on July 19, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,369 reviewer rep
742 forum posts

Mike Russell said:

Merril sometimes gets a bad rap, but many folks are happy with them as well.

I love my Moab Ventilators. I've owned 2 pairs of the low hikers, plus the full cut boot. I get about 3 years out of them, wearing them nearly everyday on my adventure challenge course, as well as anytime I'm hiking. 

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply