Granite Gear Sold

7:50 p.m. on July 29, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

A story for me with local interest.  Granite Gear is sold to outside owners.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_23754259/granite-gear-sold-manufacturing-stays-two-harbors

I've never made time to take a factory tour, but may still do so someday.  Their headquarters are 2.5 hours from my home, but I am always driving through Two Harbors on my way somewhere else and too busy to stop.

11:44 a.m. on July 30, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Hopefully they don't go down hill. Their customer service was always top notch, and their products were pretty good as well.

9:34 p.m. on August 4, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,293 forum posts

cross your fingers.  Marmot acquired Dana Design years ago.  what do you think of Marmot's line of backpacks today? 

on the other hand, you could make a case that acquisition has allowed some brands, i'm thinking of mountain hardwear and black diamond, to expand and innovate their lines of packs.  

2:23 p.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

The purchase of 5-10 (climbing shoe company) by Adidas means that the sticky rubber soles made by 5-10 will no longer be available to any company other than Adidas and the 5-10 subsidiary (according to the press release from Adidas in the last week). I have been getting my rock shoes and approach shoes resoled by The Rubber Room in Bishop, CA with 5-10 soles, so I guess next time around I will be using Vibram's version.

11:30 p.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Products rarely get better after a company is sold. The Marmot/Dana example above seems the norm rather than the exception.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply