Homemade gear or recycled materials gear.

9:30 p.m. on August 4, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

Here lets discuss the neat interesting thing we carry in our gear that we made.

I made Camelback like thing while hiking the grand canyon one time. I took a X large soda bottle and cut a V shaped hole in the lid added a surgical tube and made a upside down 2 liter bottle and carried my drink in style.

I dont know about any of you, but I eat tons of peanut butter while hiking, biking and typing this post. Okay, when you open a jar of whosever spread there a sealed inner paper to tear off the rim. Keep it and shove it inside the plastic jar. It will stay about 70% fresh about two opened weeks.

I use peanut butter plastic jars for keeping thing in I want dry, I use the jars in different sizes as cups and mugs, while hot to the touch a scorching ot to handle but they make great thermos's. 

I also use a peanut butter jar to put jams and jellies in for that PB&J in the woods on pancake bread.

I made a sleeping bag once by sewing two wool blankets to a sheet of cotton with quilting stuffed with down from chicken feathers I cleaned and fluffed. Then I sewed the whole two sides together and had a homemade sleeping bag.

Tell me some of your home made gear?

12:28 a.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
183 forum posts

Ok...

I made our tent, because my wife wants a tent, not a tarp, and we wanted something light, roomy, and both bug and rainproof.  And that's what we got.  Weighs just under 3 pounds, all up.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9CxEALLLlYY/UB3uyfisLhI/AAAAAAAAeVY/O0nZrTo-bhA/s800/IMG_6257.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gXYenRcv27o/SndzIz8PQlI/AAAAAAAAI2k/b3lptR0rkUw/s640/DSCF3518.JPG

And we made 8 x 15 inch seats out of blue closed-cell foam...do those count?

6:47 a.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,024 reviewer rep
448 forum posts

I made what I jokingly refer to as a custom carrying case for my fishing pole.  The pole breaks down into 5 pieces but the carrying case it came with weighed 2.5lbs hehe.  Needless to say that had to go!

I took two unused paint rollers, cut one in half, added a couple of popsicle sticks as struts and Gorilla taped them together and on one end.  The resulting tube fits nicely in a side pocket of my pack for easy access.  A little bigger than it needs to be but keeps my rod safe and weighs in at 4.4oz

7:30 a.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

So the pole is only about as long as the two paint rollers end to end when broken down, wow! Is that a fly rod?

10:32 a.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
2,024 reviewer rep
448 forum posts

Less than that Gary.  I cut one roller in half crosswise before taping them together.  The carrier is under 14 inches in length.  The rod/reel combo is called Minispin by Daiwa.  When assembled the rod is about 54 inches and pretty stiff except the last foot or so.  The reel it came with is tiny and probably not very good. My tacklebox is a Rapala box with a few roostertails in the bottom I keep tucked inside my first aid kit.

This loadout is so small I almost always carry it and never feel bad if I don't bother to use it.  I loaded it with 3lb test to keep things sporting and the fish seem ok with it ;)

7:25 a.m. on August 6, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

How much did this pole cost? Maybe you could do a review about it here at trailspace?

7:45 a.m. on August 6, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,513 reviewer rep
867 forum posts

I bought a sewing machine off Craig's List this summer. I also got a deal on ripstop silnylon. I'm hoping to learn to sew over the winter to make either a hammock or a tarp.

7:59 a.m. on August 6, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

I have a friend in Flagstaff AZ that makes lightweight nylon kites using a sewing machine.

9:27 a.m. on August 6, 2013 (EDT)
2,024 reviewer rep
448 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

How much did this pole cost? Maybe you could do a review about it here at trailspace?

It was under $50 as I recall. I didn't have it on my list of gear to review but you're right, I should.  I'll have to see if I can find the case so I can take pics of the whole package.

10:16 a.m. on August 7, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

I like your quote "I like walking to the empty places where the people aren't."

That's what I like too, this fall I am going to bike to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and stay a month in October. From where I am now its about a 3-4 day ride taking my time. Kanab, Fredonia,Jacob Lake and then the N.rim. 

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon has some very remote area's. Like to hear more...?

Are you old enough to remember the Pocket Fisherman rod from Ronco on TV in the 70s?

12:40 p.m. on August 7, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,513 reviewer rep
867 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

Are you old enough to remember the Pocket Fisherman rod from Ronco on TV in the 70s?

Yep, along with the Ronco Mr. Microphone: "Hey, good looking! Be back to pick you up later!"

1:12 p.m. on August 7, 2013 (EDT)
2,024 reviewer rep
448 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

I like your quote "I like walking to the empty places where the people aren't."

That's what I like too, this fall I am going to bike to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and stay a month in October. From where I am now its about a 3-4 day ride taking my time. Kanab, Fredonia,Jacob Lake and then the N.rim. 

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon has some very remote area's. Like to hear more...?

I'm old enough that I think one of my older brothers owned one when I was a kid.  I seem to recall that it wasn't much for casting and setting a hook on a bluegill was hard to get the right touch with it.

Before we moved to ME we lived in CA.  UT and WY were our favorite stomping grounds.  Your UT pics always tug at the part of me that misses the red rocks, the weather and the smell on a hot day.  Then I start thinking about Cedar Breaks, Fish Lake, etc and I have to remind myself of all the places I go now before I start crying hehe.

Keep posting those pics!

1:52 p.m. on August 7, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,086 forum posts

balzaccom said:

Ok...

I made our tent, because my wife wants a tent, not a tarp, and we wanted something light, roomy, and both bug and rainproof.  And that's what we got.  Weighs just under 3 pounds, all up.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9CxEALLLlYY/UB3uyfisLhI/AAAAAAAAeVY/O0nZrTo-bhA/s800/IMG_6257.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gXYenRcv27o/SndzIz8PQlI/AAAAAAAAI2k/b3lptR0rkUw/s640/DSCF3518.JPG

And we made 8 x 15 inch seats out of blue closed-cell foam...do those count?

Your tent almost looks like my TarpTent Virga..Pretty close to it..Great job

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply