MSR Superfly

11:42 p.m. on August 17, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

Why should I keep mine? I think I would rather have a more compact model. Am I overlooking something?

7:12 a.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
407 forum posts

I stick with my Superfly because of its size rather than despite it. I like having the stable, 4 fin platform to rest my pot on.  That is not a reason for you to keep yours of course, but that's why I keep mine.

7:35 a.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

That's what I want to hear...perks seen by others that I must be overlooking.

9:01 a.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
1,366 reviewer rep
407 forum posts

It is big and clunky compared to some other options, there's no denying that. To some folks that is a deal killer. I am all about function and carry a few bigger or heavier things (like my water filter) because of how they work rather than just how much they weigh.

With this stove I can cantilever the pot a shade to account for some wind and I've nudged it a few times by accident and not tipped the pot or stove over.  I even had my six cup enamel coffee pot on it the last few days car camping with the family.  If I was thru-hiking I'd ditch it for a tiny alcohol stove in a minute though 8p

10:14 p.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
371 forum posts

As with any other gear replacement question, you have to look at the big picture pro/con argument.

What do you like about this stove?  What don't you like?  What do  you like about the proposed replacement?  What don't you like about the proposed replacement?  If the balance of those questions leans toward replacement, you then have to evaluate the question of value - is the net positive worth the price?

As has been suggested, you will give up some pot stability to get the lighter weight.  Only you can decide which is more important to you.  Likewise, think about cooking capabilities (simmering, full power, etc) to see if the proposed stove does what you need it to.

7:55 a.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

Well...I really like the stability and the flame control. Weight doesn't really bother me either. What I don't like is that it doesn't pack easily. It takes up a lot of space and the pot support points are impossible to hide.

10:06 a.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
1,366 reviewer rep
407 forum posts

I too dislike that it is too big to fit inside my pot along with my cup, bowl and fuel like many of the smaller options would.  I deal with that by keeping it wrapped up in my warm camp hat.

Doing that keeps the pointy bits from poking into anything sensitive and keeps me from leaving the ear warmers at home.  Whether I bring the plaid ear flap cap or the big knit ski cap I often find it useful at dawn while waiting for the coffee water to heat up.  Having to bring it to wrap up the stove means I have it to wear too ;)

11:11 a.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Mine actually fits nicely into MSR's 1.1L Stowaway Pot. I get where you're coming from, though.

Recently transitioned into an alcohol stove.

Packing that big-headed burner, a fuel canister, and a canister stand just got heavy and clunky. 

I think, however, this is one of your best options for canister stoves and unless you plan on abandoning them altogether, I'd stick by this one. Sure, you can get a MicroRocket, but you're still stuck with the bulk and weight of the fuel canisters.

7:08 p.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

I like it a lot if space is no issue. I actually did just pick up a micro rocket on eBay. I'll likely just keep both....unless I need to turn it to quick cash for something "new".

4:12 p.m. on August 21, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Ironically, I use a set of 2 SuperFly stoves for car camping. Lot smaller and lighter to pack than the 2-burner Coleman I started camping with, and it's almost like having a detachable 2-burner unit. This way you can put some space between them and have two people cooking without getting in each other's way.

4:30 p.m. on August 21, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

Nice. That is a good idea!

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply